Question

FMS

An overlap is when a player makes runs beyond other players in his team who play in a position higher up the pitch than him. This usually involves full-backs making runs beyond the wingers on his team. I would assume that the touchline shout is telling your full-backs to look for the opportunity to overlap the wingers.

I've problem, could someone tell me what does it mean a shout LOOK FOR OVERLAPS ?

Its like when your wingers for example or fullbacks run past you down the line or whatever and you play a ball through to them. Or say when your striker got the ball on edge of box and attacking midfielder, even a winger, runs past him into the box and as he passes your forward, he'll play the ball into him and he has an effort on goal, similar to what Super Frank Lampard would do, or Fabregas or Gerrard. Its basically a team mate running past you and you play ball into him. :thup:

According to TT&T10 "Look For Overlap" means; When using excellent attacking full-backs & needing extra penetration down the wings. When needing more passing options in the final third. When playing against a side who are weak or under-manned down the flanks.

Hope that helps

When playing with 5 midfielders, the cml or cmr can start a deep run and overlap wingers/fw/wb's as well :-) Breaks the offside so nice.

edit; this requires the play ball into space, shout as well.

Archived