stats should affect positions

there is one thing i don't really understand. i have a player that would be a great defender (good mental and physical attributes, low technical attributes). however in the positions screen, it says he can only play well as a striker. i once tried to play him as an central defender, and he was horrible, altough his stats say he would be my best defender.

so why does a player just get an position and needs to live with it? why dont the stats of a player affect his positions? it would get more normal regens (as it effects them mostly).

You would have to actually retrain a player to that position for him to be any good. This is more to do with how the game works more than anything, but there is some real life aspects to it.

In modern day football, the majority of players have various skills and not just the skills required to play their natural position. There are strikers who can tackle. There are defenders who can finish better than some strikers. But the striker always plays up front, and the defender always plays at the back despite having those abilities, because this is where they are used to playing. That is where they have the experience and the know how.

The reseachers cannot assume that Peter Crouch would be a good centre back and make him accomplished as a centre back. It's illogical, because Crouch has never played centre back and if he has, very very rarely.

i can understand this with real-life players. but what i am talking about is for example: i have a regen striker that has no attacking qualitities, but can be a good defender. right now his only position is striker (green). he has no other positions. i did indeed try to train him for more than 4 years to become an defender, but he still cant play there. so my point is: right now, a regen that is created gets a position by the engine, altough his stats dont fit it. why cant there be a more dynamic system, where new players dont get a position by the game, but the manager gets to decide his best position. and by training and playing him on this position, the player can get better.

i hope i made myself clear, english is not my native language.

From what i've read players who play out of position have their stats dropped by a certain amount so they are less effective, but to me it seems like a lack of experience in a position should only have an effect on mental attributes. If you play a striker as a CB its not like their tackling or marking would be any worse.

indeed. so i am actually thinking about a different system instead of the positions systems. in this system it is already decided where a player can play (and some positions can become better with training).

but i would prefer it if the stats of a player could determine a position. start a player with a blank slate, and if he got better defending stats, train and play him at a defensive position.

for example a lot of youth players play at various positions. the trainer tries to decide the best position for this player. but in fm, players get a fixed position.

so i would say, just show the stats of a player, and do not let the game make a decision about his position. (of course the ass.man can give advices at where to play him).

by this you dont get to trow away promising youth-players, who have great stats but the stats dont match the position he got.

indeed. so i am actually thinking about a different system instead of the positions systems. in this system it is already decided where a player can play (and some positions can become better with training).

but i would prefer it if the stats of a player could determine a position. start a player with a blank slate, and if he got better defending stats, train and play him at a defensive position.

for example a lot of youth players play at various positions. the trainer tries to decide the best position for this player. but in fm, players get a fixed position.

so i would say, just show the stats of a player, and do not let the game make a decision about his position. (of course the ass.man can give advices at where to play him).

by this you dont get to trow away promising youth-players, who have great stats but the stats dont match the position he got.

But surely that's done well before the age of 16/17, when the regens come in. And even then, at a young age it's still very possible to retrain youth players to different positions.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the way it's set up now. Surely if you play up front you have a totally different role and perspective on the game than as a sweeper. That is reflected in the drop of ability when playing in an entirely unfamiliar position.

Again, youth players are easily retrainable so if you have a good DC who can't jump: retrain him to DM. If you have a quick wing-back who can't tackle: retrain him to winger. But you can't just expect to toss a forward in defence and assume he'll do fine because he can tackle a player: you need an entirely different approach to the game. A forward with good tackling will (probably) get a role in which he will chase a lot of balls and harass the opposition defence. An approach like that is entirely undesirable as a DC who needs to pick his moments.

So if i found a 17 years old regen who is natural as a DM but his stats is awful for a DM but would make him a wonderful winger, i would train his winger position, train, plays him there 99% of the time right?

The real question is that, is it possible for his natural DM position which he gets upon creation to drop in levels and winger position become his 'real' natural position? I think currently that DM position will follow him till he goes to the grave.

It would only make sense that his natural DM that comes upon creation to diminish, if not completely then to a low level. Especially if he spends his time as a winger from that moment on (trains there, plays there).

So if i found a 17 years old regen who is natural as a DM but his stats is awful for a DM but would make him a wonderful winger, i would train his winger position, train, plays him there 99% of the time right?

The real question is that, is it possible for his natural DM position which he gets upon creation to drop in levels and winger position become his 'real' natural position? I think currently that DM position will follow him till he goes to the grave.

It would only make sense that his natural DM that comes upon creation to diminish, if not completely then to a low level. Especially if he spends his time as a winger from that moment on (trains there, plays there).

No his natural DM positition will never diminish. With position training and playing him as a winger you can get him to natural in that position. But the minute you stop either his position training or actuallu playing him as a winger, his ability will start to drop. He would eventually lose it altogether and only have DM again.

At the moment he'll always be a natural DM and a very good winger. It would be nice for the game to be able to recognise that a player hasn't used a position in x years, since he was below Y (say 5 years, and since he was 19) so isn't really natural there any more, but merely competent.

That said, some stats do make sense to drop when out of position. A striker marking his defender deals with very different runs and moves than a defender marking a striker. Equally, they tackle differently (a striker won't have his defender running at him I hope!), different chances tend to fall to them, etc. So as much as someone may be a technically excellent tackler of the ball, he will need trainign and experience to learn to do so in a defensive rather than offensive role. I mean look, with his tackling, passing, strength and speed Eboue looked like a natural midfield candidate, but when Wenger tried him in the centre his game fell apart. He eventually found his niche on the right wing, which is far closer to his old rightback spot.

i like the idea of more involvement in setting which positions new regens would have and more movement in positions for players as they age

players like jamie carragher and sol campbell were not natural centre backs at 16-17, but that is unquestionably their most natural position at 30+. carragher didn't really make a centre back position his own for 6-7 seasons

what has happened is the manager (coach or whoever) has noticed the ability/attributes and tailored the player's postion to get the best of of a given set of attributes,

i tend to look at my regens and - for those that have no potential as they stand - retrain them in the position i think best suits their attribute profile

Archived