[Question to SI Games] Is Championship Manager Open Source?

Hi All,

I am enquiring about Championship Manager games. Not the crappy CM games made by Eidos, but the original SI games.

I want to convert a old CM game, lets say CM00/01 to the Nokia N900.

It would be a perfect game for this brilliant phone.

Are those oldies Open Source? Can I have permission to convert the game to the N900?

It would be released free to the whole Nokia N900/Maemo community.

Plus its further advertising to SI Games and their FM Franchise (Which I love very much btw)

I dont think the N900 can handle the FM series, but I think it should handle the CM series quite well.

Thanks for your feedback.

Snaps

The old Championship Manager still belongs to Eidos.

No, that is not true. Just the name belongs to Eidos. The source code was kept by SI Games, which then became Football Manager.

I am enquiring about the source code of the older CM games made by SI Games, and if that source code is open source, or if there is a possibility of SI release the code to the old CM games.

Im sure the source code to the old CM games is very different to the current FM10 game

:)

No, that is not true. Just the name belongs to Eidos. The source code was kept by SI Games, which then became Football Manager.

I am enquiring about the source code of the older CM games made by SI Games, and if that source code is open source, or if there is a possibility of SI release the code to the old CM games.

Im sure the source code to the old CM games is very different to the current FM10 game

:)

I know Eidos have released the 01/02 edition of Championship Manager for free on their website, that's why I think that even if they do not own the code itself, they do own the existing CM games, and it would be impossible to release the source code without their consent.

I know Eidos have released the 01/02 edition of Championship Manager for free on their website, that's why I think that even if they do not own the code itself, they do own the existing CM games, and it would be impossible to release the source code without their consent.

Proof please as I couldnt find the game on their website.

If the game is released for free, doesnt mean the source code is free. If the source code is free, the game can be built for the phone, but doesnt need to use the CM name.

Proof please as I couldnt find the game on their website.

http://forums.championshipmanager.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=63494

If the game is released for free, doesnt mean the source code is free. If the source code is free, the game can be built for the phone, but doesnt need to use the CM name.

I didn't say that the source code is free. I said that if Eidos own the game (which they obviously do if they can give it away for free) then they probably own the code as well, or at least some rights to it.

I didn't say that the source code is free. I said that if Eidos own the game (which they obviously do if they can give it away for free) then they probably own the code as well, or at least some rights to it.

Interesting...

I was always under the impression that SI Games took the whole source code with them, and only the name was left with Eidos.

From wikipedia:

On 12 February 2004, after splitting from publishers Eidos Interactive, it was announced that Sports Interactive, developers of the Championship Manager game, had retained the rights to the source code but not the rights to the title Championship Manager, which were held onto by Eidos (who previously acquired the brand rights from Domark upon their merger in 1995). These developments led to a further announcement that future Sports Interactive football management games would be released under the famous Football Manager brand name. Whilst the Championship Manager series would go on, Eidos no longer had any source code, or, indeed a developer for Championship Manager.

Having been left without a publisher for its football management series, Sports Interactive teamed up with Sega and later, in April 2006, Sports Interactive was acquired completely by the publisher in a continuing trend of consolidation within the games industry.

The first game released under the newly acquired Football Manager brand was Football Manager 2005. Commonly known as "FM 2005", it competed directly with Championship Manager 5 from Eidos-funded Beautiful Game Studios.

I'm guessing it went something like this: SI took the existing code and rebranded the game to Football Manager, whereas Eidos took the existing name and had another studio code a new CM from scratch, while also retaining the rights to the existing CM games which they had published. It might actually be the case that a both Eidos and SI would have to agree to release the source code, and if SI are still using some of that old code as a basis for new FM games, then it's unlikely they will give their permission.

You're probably better off PM-ing Miles or someone else from SI about this though, as this threat is bound to drop from the first page in a few hours ;)

dont be an idiot nenad... he's saying that a vast amount of old code is released as open source after a long period of time.

and he's simply asking if its the case here..

get off your high horse

Exactly my point. If SI dont release the code, then I will play FM10 on my PC. If they do release the code, I will try and port the game on Maemo, and enjoy CM wherever I am!

Hi All,

I am enquiring about Championship Manager games. Not the crappy CM games made by Eidos, but the original SI games.

I want to convert a old CM game, lets say CM00/01 to the Nokia N900.

It would be a perfect game for this brilliant phone.

Are those oldies Open Source? Can I have permission to convert the game to the N900?

It would be released free to the whole Nokia N900/Maemo community.

Plus its further advertising to SI Games and their FM Franchise (Which I love very much btw)

I dont think the N900 can handle the FM series, but I think it should handle the CM series quite well.

Thanks for your feedback.

Snaps

hey mate i have the n900 too and if it is possible to make the game playable on there, id deffo download it. hopefully you can sort it lol.

dont be an idiot nenad... he's saying that a vast amount of old code is released as open source after a long period of time.

and he's simply asking if its the case here..

get off your high horse

stfu moron.

There won't be an answer on these forums, the OP needs to contact SI and I suggest Miles is indeed the right person.

He can open a new thread when he has an answer and I do wish him good luck with the project, although I've no idea what his prospects are.

Archived