A really boring but practical suggestion

I think there should be a minimum number of characters that need to be entered in the FM search bar (top right) before it actually searches. I say this because I accidentally typed in the letter 'o' and pressed enter and the game crashed (I have a rubbish computer) trying to display the thousands of players, staff, teams, and nations that contain the letter 'o'. It's happened to me before and it's an inconvenience that could be avoided by having some validation where if you type in less than 4 letters a message comes up asking you to type in more.

Anyone else care about this at all?

I would assume that most accidental searches are those with a single character, so it could just ignore single character searches. I don't think a two char search is likely to crash many computers with a reasonably chosen database size, either.

Alternatively, it could only display a maximum of N results.

I'm not sure I'd like a message popping just to ask me if I really want to search for "IA" or something. Not that it would happen very often (since this isn't CM0102 where IA had a few players to be poached each game :D), but it's still a bad practice IMO.

Archived