FM10 PPM's

R1tz

Basically just wondering if anyone knows which Player Preferred Move (PPM) is best and for what player/attributes. i.e. Shoots with Power Vs. Places Shots, which seems to be more effective and for what player?

I've noticed Robin Van Persie and Wayne Rooney end up scoring more goals than appearances and they both have shoots with power so is this a better PPM than places shots or is it beacause of their attributes that it's so effective.

Also has anyone tried teaching Places shots or shoots with power to Fernando Torres or Zlatan Ibrahimovich? If so what 1 did they score more with?

Im sure formation and individual instructions have a major role in how many goals a player scores, but for arguments sake lets say they always play the same way just with different PPM's.

Dives in to tackles vs Doesn't dive into tackles. etc. etc. etc.

I know each 1 is better for an individual moment and situation. but statistically which ppm is more effective on a whole.

eg. (a player that places shots will score more 1 on 1's than if he had a ppm that shoots with power, so in that instance it would be better to have 'places shots', but Overall a player that has places shots scores 10 goals less than shoots with power - because they have a lot less 1 on 1's or whatever)?..make sense?? :)

just want to know what statistically are the best PPM's.

If anyone has dabbled with this, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers guys.

You get some interesting information in the mail when you suggest that one of your players should start training a PPM. For example, if you tell someone to start diving into tackles it says something like "You think X lacks the pace to keep up with attackers and that he should start diving into tackles to break up attacking moves". Well, it's nothing like that because I'm going from memory, but the point is that diving into tackles is for slow players and don't dive into tackles is for faster ones. And they all have little nuggets of information like that in them, so go with that.

Personally, I would say that "Shoot with power" is best for midfielders: powerful longshots tend to find net more often than common. Strikers with the same PPM however just seem to blast it ten metres over the bar and kill an innocent seagull though. So for a striker, "place shots" is better IMO, since it seems he'll miss less then.

Should just aim for the guilty seagulls.

I definitely think strikers should have "places shots". I don't know about other players, to be honest.

It depends on stats and tactics.You would rather have your 2 meters tall ST with 20 for strength bravery and determination places his shots?Or use his strength and physic to blast the ball in the net?

Strength and bravery have nothing to do with shooting, and tbh I'd rather have the striker with high determination place his shot.

Accuracy over power for me, nearly every time, when close range.

Can only echo this comment. I am fairly sure though that I read somewhere else on here that you can train strikers to 'place shots' and 'shoot with power'. The best of both worlds if thats true.

Actually, attributes hardly have any effect on the PPMs in basic. A player with 20 composure will finish better whatever PPM he may have, and the same goes for a player with 20 finishing.

A player with "Place shots" obviously aim better than one who "shots with power". Sure, a striker can blast the ball in from close-range... But wouldn't you rather he actually aim if he get that close? While a player that shot from distance, well, if he blast the ball he clearly improve his chance of scoring while it's pretty difficult to place a shot the farther you are from the goal (to a certain limit of course, with the keeper half a metre ahead you dont have much choice in terms of placing the shot anyways).

Sure, if you manage to get a player having both place shots and shot with power, you'll have a guy who scores wondergoals pretty frequently if he have the attributes to back it up. :p

Ok so we've established that places shots seems to be better for stikers and accuracy, but does that statistically amount to more goals????

If a player that shoots with power hits 9 out of 10 over the bar (and kills seaguls :p) but scores 1 every game, then that is better than a player who only misses 2 out of 10 but scores every other game.....so statistically who ends up scoring more goals?

Ive mentioned before ive noticed rooney and RVP score a ridiculous amount of goals and both have 'shoots with power' ppm, and now edin dzeko seems to be scoring a Ridiculous amount and he also has 'shoots with power'.

I have noticed these players miss alot more chances than Thierry Henry or Bojan who have 'places shots', but overall end up scoring way more goals at the end of the season.

So which is better?

Not just shooing but also the 'cuts in' vs 'hugs line', 'dives int tackles' vs 'doesnt dive into tackles', 'places simple passes' vs - 'whatever' u get my drift.....

Overall what are the best PPM's :D

Strength and bravery have nothing to do with shooting, and tbh I'd rather have the striker with high determination place his shot.

Accuracy over power for me, nearly every time, when close range.

Actually strength has an effect.The more strenght a player has the more use he can make from his PPM shoots with power.I've done experiments with strikers who have 9 and 18 for strength and the striker with 18 clearly had more powerful shot than the one with 9.

Also i've done experiment with FMRTE giving a player all 3 shooting PPM's places shoots shoots with power and curls ball and the player played like he didnt had any PPM like a normal player who places shoots when needed and shoots with power when needed.

I have some experience with striker PPM's, I can tell "plays with back to goal" is very effective, especially with "moves into channels" which is my favorite PPM and I get frustrated if a striker refuses to learn that one.

I had Gignac for a while, he isn't the best striker stat wise but his ppm's make him very efficient. He scored more than Dzeko. He has these PPM's :

Gignacmoves.png

Not looking at goals from headers (which is easymode in FM) Gignac is the most efficient striker I have ever seen. He played as advanced forward next to a target man-type, playing in a 4-4-2 diamond. Not to mention how handy he is to teach young players a lot !

Shoots with power makes a difference, I'm convinced of that.

Also i've done experiment with FMRTE giving a player all 3 shooting PPM's places shoots shoots with power and curls ball and the player played like he didnt had any PPM like a normal player who places shoots when needed and shoots with power when needed.

Yes, it's important to remember that the PPMs are just tendencies (moves the players PREFER to do). Everyone shoots with power sometimes and everyone places shots sometimes.

I have some experience with striker PPM's, I can tell "plays with back to goal" is very effective, especially with "moves into channels" which is my favorite PPM and I get frustrated if a striker refuses to learn that one.

I had Gignac for a while, he isn't the best striker stat wise but his ppm's make him very efficient. He scored more than Dzeko. He has these PPM's :

Gignacmoves.png

Not looking at goals from headers (which is easymode in FM) Gignac is the most efficient striker I have ever seen. He played as advanced forward next to a target man-type, playing in a 4-4-2 diamond. Not to mention how handy he is to teach young players a lot !

Shoots with power makes a difference, I'm convinced of that.

If so, you should try and change Gignac's "shots with power" to "places shots" and see if there's any difference between the two. :p

Actually strength has an effect.The more strenght a player has the more use he can make from his PPM shoots with power.I've done experiments with strikers who have 9 and 18 for strength and the striker with 18 clearly had more powerful shot than the one with 9.

That is not what strength is. With all due respect, you've probably seen what you want to see there. Strength is ability to exert a force on an opponent, not ability to shoot with power. That comes direct from the research network.

...Not just shooing but also the 'cuts in' vs 'hugs line', 'dives int tackles' vs 'doesnt dive into tackles', 'places simple passes' vs - 'whatever' u get my drift.....

Overall what are the best PPM's :D

That depends on the player...Cuts In is good for a winger who plays on the wing opposite his best foot (i.e. a right-footed AML). He'll end up running square across the box and score a bunch, esp. with Shoots with Power (in FM10 (FM09, it was Places Shots)). You don't want to have Killer Balls on a player with low passing, and you don't want Plays Simple Passes on a good passer. Dives into Tackles is good if the guy tackles well, and Stays on Feet is good if he doesn't. If you're still Reading (Go Royals!) this, Tight Marking should be self-explainatory by now...

And so forth. If his PPMs match the player's skills, they can turn an average player into a good one, and a good player into a great one. If they don't, they'll ruin him. But, to answer your question...Aside from Shoots with Power, which is the goaldmine of FM10, there is no "best" PPM overall. It will vary, from player to player. Better to ask, "What's the best PPM for this guy?"

That is not what strength is. With all due respect, you've probably seen what you want to see there. Strength is ability to exert a force on an opponent, not ability to shoot with power. That comes direct from the research network.

Well maybe its just me but i swear that the SC with 18 strength shoots with power 90% of the time and the other with 8 50%.

Well maybe its just me but i swear that the SC with 18 strength shoots with power 90% of the time and the other with 8 50%.

If something, Strength may help him to, uh, "move" opponents so he gets clear to shoot more often. :p

Depends on their finishing/composure for me. If they aren't the best finisher in the world then I think you should be suggesting they blast the ball to try and improve their chances of beating the keeper (or getting lucky) and vice versa, a good finisher should be aiming to slot the ball into the corners making it hard for the keeper to save regardless of the power of the shot.

I tend to leave players that are banging them in on a regular basis or already world class strikers (like Torres & Ibra like you mentioned) alone and just let them do their thing without the need for a PPM if they don't have one already.

Archived