Had to laugh at this

I'm the Newcastle boss, and have been since the start of the 2nd season. I'm on a good run of form, which has put me firmly in the top half of the table. I played Sunderland, who were 14th before the match. I hammered them 4-0. Bruce was promptly sacked after the game, which wasn't too much of a suprise, he'd been under pressure most of the season. But then I was the first manager linked with the job, and had to issue a press statement saying I wasn't interest. I mean, I'm probably the very last manager in the world who would either want the job, or who the fans of Sunderland would want to take the job. Are the press stupid? Plus, I'd like to see Didi Hamann, who is caretaker boss, given a chance.

Anyone else got some really thick sports reporters?

Untitled-1.png

Yeah, I'm from the North East, so I know all about the rivalry, which is why I laughed. I'm a Liverpool fan though.

I mean, wasn't there a little bit of a niggle when Bruce took over in the first place, as he's a Newcastle fan isn't he?

there was but it was seen by most fans as ok as he hasnt managed or played for newcastle :)

as a sunderland fan the roumer wouldnt even happen, its ridiculous to even consider a manager taking over at his current clubs rivals,
Harry Redknapp was manager of Portsmouth and took over at Southampton, and then returned to Portsmouth. Norwich were hammered 7-1 by Colchester and Bryan Gunn was given his marching orders...to be replaced by Paul Lambert who masterminded the 7-1 thrashing.

Yeah, ridiculous to even consider it :rolleyes:

yea if you had been to a north east derby match you would know this is unspeakable never mind ridiculous, there are a few exceptions (as there are with everything) but in genral someone managing a club wouldnt go to managed their rivals.

and since when was colchester and norwich rivals? this is local rivalry on the scale of the machester Derby, the north london Derby, the old firm game

its ridiculous to even consider a manager taking over at his current clubs rivals,

Billy Davies - Derby County to Notts Forest.

I know their not as big a rivals as the Sunderland Newcastle but still... Money > Loyalty for some

i love how when people havent been to a rivalry they simply dismiss it as another deby game unless sky go to town on it,

the main thing the tyne-wear derby has on the others is this goes far beyond football, and started in the english civil war

yea if you had been to a north east derby match you would know this is unspeakable never mind ridiculous, there are a few exceptions (as there are with everything) but in genral someone managing a club wouldnt go to managed their rivals.
And with those few words you've gone and masterfully contradicted yourself. There are a few exceptions, therefore such a thing is perfectly possible and isn't quite so "ridiculous" or "unspeakable". There are other comparisons...maybe the transfer of players between two fierce rivals? For instance, from Man Utd to Liverpool or vice versa - is that ridiculous or unspeakable? Primarily due to the rivalry between the two clubs this hasn't happened in a few decades, but the fact remains that is has happened, and it's happened more recently at other clubs as well (Ashley Cole from Arsenal to Chelsea and Luis Figo from Barcelona to Real Madrid, to name but a few)

i love how when people havent been to a rivalry they simply dismiss it as another deby game unless sky go to town on it,

the main thing the tyne-wear derby has on the others is this goes far beyond football, and started in the english civil war

I completely agree, and for me to agree with a mackem is something ;)

EDIT - For the uninitiated, a background; http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2005/oct/23/newsstory.sport

Sweeping generalisations?

Everyone claims their derby has something 'special' or 'different' about it that takes it to the next level. You lot think you can blame Cromwell, the Glaswegians have the 'religious' thing, etc.

The true passion and intensity of a derby can only be felt and appreciated by those with a direct interest in it.

Dalimyr only named players we are talking about managers. No Newcastle manager would move to Sunderland and it wouldn't happen the other way round either. To compare Figo and Ashley Cole to managers moving is not a good example.

Dalimyr only named players we are talking about managers. No Newcastle manager would move to Sunderland and it wouldn't happen the other way round either. To compare Figo and Ashley Cole to managers moving is not a good example.

Well what about those that compared it to 'Arry leaving Pompey for Southampton? Is that a good example?

And with those few words you've gone and masterfully contradicted yourself. There are a few exceptions, therefore such a thing is perfectly possible and isn't quite so "ridiculous" or "unspeakable". There are other comparisons...maybe the transfer of players between two fierce rivals? For instance, from Man Utd to Liverpool or vice versa - is that ridiculous or unspeakable? Primarily due to the rivalry between the two clubs this hasn't happened in a few decades, but the fact remains that is has happened, and it's happened more recently at other clubs as well (Ashley Cole from Arsenal to Chelsea and Luis Figo from Barcelona to Real Madrid, to name but a few)

you may say that but i disagree, up here say that a sunderland manager is going to take over at newcastle and watch the fall out as it will be big and will genrally lead to someone getting let go or losing alot of money, southampton portsmouth may be a big derby im not denying that but if everything you post has been about money grabbers, up here its different, you wont be accepted by either fans if its viewed your money grabbing. its unspeakble up here to say a player or manager is crossing the divide and no journalist would even consider writing the article. which is the point im trying to make.

its got to be taken in context for the area and up here its a big no-no

Well what about those that compared it to 'Arry leaving Pompey for Southampton? Is that a good example?

Harry moved after a particularly vicious bust up with his employer, it was a two fingers to Mandaric. He didn't just move because he wanted to, he did it to give Mandaric the two fingers, this wouldn't happen in FM, so the comparison is moot.

Harry moved after a particularly vicious bust up with his employer, it was a two fingers to Mandaric. He didn't just move because he wanted to, he did it to give Mandaric the two fingers, this wouldn't happen in FM, so the comparison is moot.

A good point. Well made.

One thing we've all ignored is that the source of this rumour was the press, who in FM and RL are absolutely honour bound to make up absolute nonsense to sell their rags.

A good point. Well made.

One thing we've all ignored is that the source of this rumour was the press, who in FM and RL are absolutely honour bound to make up absolute nonsense to sell their rags.

I agree, Elrithral makes a good point and who can believe anything that the papers say anyway.

Actually, I mentioned managers in an earlier post, which acidmonkey fobbed off because apparently they're not "real" rivalries :rolleyes:

Actually, I mentioned managers in an earlier post, which acidmonkey fobbed off because apparently they're not "real" rivalries :rolleyes:

Nothing is a real rivalry compared to my own teams, apart from maybe River Plate and Boca Juniors.(I would put a smilie face or a wink or something here but I made a pact a long time ago to never use them)

i fobbe them off as they were no different to say LAws going from sheffield to burnley,

Colchester and norwich have no rivalry

Methinks Mike Ashley started the rumour so he could bring in Paul Ince and Graeme Souness as co-managers.

Luckily Mike Ashley is no longer in charge. Even he'd not be stupid enough to sack me the way we're playing now. Yannis Tafer and Andy Carroll, the suprising dream pairing. :D

Is it really that crazy. I think football is more about money and success than loyalty. Is Sunderland, Newcastle rivalry more than spurs arsenal. George Graham managed both teams, and Sol Campbell of course. Ronaldo and Figo played for both madrid and barca. Mark Hughes managing Man city.

transfers wise btw.. theres been just over 30+ between the teams (newcastle and sunderland) .... which is well, well above average for rivals...

as has been said... all teams think their rivalry's are more important ... and its impossible arguing the point as most fans cant be objective in these cases.

Transfers happen alot between local rivals, I think that has been established in here. Norwich Colchester is NOT a local derby. They are nearing 60 miles apart, that would be like saying Ipswich v Leyton Orient is a local derby. Manager's rarely make the switch in most local derbies, and owuld generally be a big no-no so I don't know why a big fuss has been kicked up over Newcastle Sunderland other than the fact that it was mention in the OP

Archived