Who shall i start off with?

haha so i take managing sunderland didn't go very well? I have two suggestions, either take a very small team you know nothing about or stop playing for a while. Sometimes taking a break from the game can help you refind the motivation you need to get stuck into a game.

try being either Leeds United, Norwich, Charlton, Southamton or Reading

Leeds: You will get a good side together and most probably win the league one, charlton and norwich will put up a fight though, then in the championship you ill probably have an epic battle for a playoff spot, which is always fun, you will either get promoted that season, or maybe it will take one more to return to the top flight, always fun with leeds.

Norwich: Just got relegated from the championship, they still have quite a strong side, there will be a race for 1st in league one, you will almost certainly get promoted, in the championship, it will take you up to 3 seasons to get promoted, you will probably get a place in the play offs first time, if your a good manager, next season you will probably win the playoffs or get 2nd, if you dont do it in those 2 years you will get it 3rd time round, then you will have a battle for survival in the top flight, and then spend a good few season trying to make it to the CL and to win the league

Charlton: They are in the same boat as norwich, you will get many competitive seasons out of them, they are a fun team to take charge of.

Southampton: This will be the biggest challenge of the lot, by going into administration and getting relegated from the championship southampton start 10pts behind in league one, this will give you a big target, most probably to get a playoff spot and win the playoffs, it is possible. once promoted from league on the championship will take you a few seasons to master and get promoted to the top flight. Once in the top flight you will be tested to the max. you will get an exciting game with this team

Any one of these teams will be fun and challenging, and a lot harder than starting as a premiership side.

Although if you are more of a top flight competitor you will want to go with Reading...

Reading: Reading got relegated 2 seasons ago from the top flight and were very close to going straight back up last season if it wasnt for a loss to birmingham. With Reading you will start with a low budjet but have a very good side to work with, with the current squad at Reading you can get promoted without making any signings (i should know... because i did) when promoted to the premiership you will regain a nice heafty budjet of around 10-15million pounds, then you can work on survival, and then becoming the top club in britain.

Hope that helped somehow :)

Andy

I'd be bored if i decided who to buy before i started a game.

qft

I tried doing that in my early day, but found it to be utterly dissapointing.

Also, for the op, play with your favourite team. I have always done this and it is the most fun games I've ever had! (Man Utd, but it doesn't become fun untill I give the team my personal touch(, get a few cheap youth players in, sell the dead wood, and get some improvement-players in))

I once glanced upon a chart in wikipedia that showed all countries belonging to UEFA Champions League (I mean that can play in it) and there were several countries that had NEVER made it into the group stages.

So here's a challenge for you :D

UEFA_members_Champs_League_group_stage.gif

Obviously blue countries are the ones that still haven't done it.

Haah! I start off with my fave team (arsenal) nd it gets boring once i sign some unrealistic transfers! :@ Thanks anyway!

What is an unrealistic signing with a team like Arsenal? They have finances to sign most players, given a few sellings of backup-players. Also, if you can sign a player you think is unrealistic, why would you do it?

Not sure how accurate that map is. I'm just going from my own memory here, not looking at references on the web, but I can't recall any Slovenian, Belorussian or Finnish teams playng in the Group Stage of the UEFA Champions League.

Not sure how accurate that map is. I'm just going from my own memory here, not looking at references on the web, but I can't recall any Slovenian, Belorussian or Finnish teams playng in the Group Stage of the UEFA Champions League.

Are you saying Wikipedia is wrong? I think you'll find that's not possible.

Any way. Don't like Leeds but Norwich...? I might have found my 10.3 game.

I always used to find Millwall a good starting club because they have a fairly big stadium, adequate training facilities and no debt. Mind you, I didn't manage them in fm10 so things might have changed.

The point is that if you want a fun game you can look for a lower league club with those attributes (stadium, facilities and lack of debt) and you are well on your way.

In 98/99 Helsinki HJK was in the group stage and last year Bate was in the group with Real M and Juve If I right. I am not remember for Slovenian participant but I guess Maribor reached the group stage around 90-92.

I had suspisions about Maribor, but if they participated in around 1990-92 then it would have been the old European Cup and not the "Champions League" and I'm not sure there was a group stage at that point, definitely by 93-94, but 1990 is certainly early. Also, in 1990 wouldn't Maribor have entered as a Yugoslav participant rather than Slovenian? Pedantic I know, but still.

Archived