[International Competitions] - Seedings for the qualifers

Basically, I have a quick query for the SI staff. How are the seedings for international qualifiers calculated?

Do they change over time as with the European seedings or even those within the tournaments themselves? Or do they remain as they are at the start of the game?

I have a suspicion it is the latter, based on my current game. See below.

Here is the draw for the Euro 2014 qualifiers:

15ed5yu.png

The groups are in seed order.

I noticed the following:

1. I'm Austria and we are currently ranked 39th in the world and yet seeded 4th.

2. Ireland, the third seed from my group, are ranked 51st and finished 4th in their group for Euro2012 qualifying, behind Cyprus who are seeded 5th and 53rd in the world.

3. Scotland, the second seeds in my group, finished 4th in WC2010 and are ranked two places above Croatia who are first seeds.

4. Turkey, who are second seeds, are ranked 59th, 43 places below 3rd seeds Slovenia.

5. The teams within my pot are ranked anywhere from 27th to 71st, with many teams from the pots above falling within that range as well.

The seedings don't seem to equate to either the international ranking list; or teams' performances within previous qualifiers and major tournaments.

Having discussed this with other users, it seems to be a common problem. Croatia, as an example, are ALWAYS top seeds in European qualifying groups, no matter how low they drop in the rankings.

Am I missing something or is this the way the game has been set up?

love the fact that you put the work "spoiler" above the picture :D

:D Yeah I put the code in the same way I would on the forum I usually use but it didn't seem to work. Must be different code on here.

EDIT - in fact I just don't get how that's worked. I've put in [*spoiler][/*spoiler] without the *'s so I don't know where it's getting the 'spoiler:' from without actually spoilering the image. Anyway, that's beside the point.

You can't put a picture into a spoiler?! What's the point in the spoilers then?

Is there any way of hiding large pictures so that they are only viewable when you want to?

And, more on-topic, have you noticed any issues with international qualifier seedings? Have they EVER changed from the 2008 seedings in Europe?

They are useful when wanting to hide information a person would not want to know, like in a TV program thread (in OTF)

and i think they are static mate. Though I'm not sure about the co-efficient updating through out a save. Better off asking a Mod tbh :thup:

Fair enough, on the forum I use, we spoiler large images so as not to handicap those with low bandwith or make the page look unsightly. Lets face it, its pretty annoying when the formatting of the page is all over the place thanks to a few enormous pictures. Or do people usually thumbnail or link round here?

Anyway, back to the topic on hand - guess I'll just wait for a mod or official type to notice this. Cheers.

Must be a bug then - if the international rankings are not taken into consideration then they are just a useless stat.

Well I guess we're waiting on some sort of 'official' answer. I'm hopng we're wrong and just failing to take into account some factor none of us have considered.

At least it has come up with a decently realistic draw. Imagine if you saw Group 1 - England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France, Portugal. Group 2 - Moldova, San Marino, Andorra, Malta, Faroe Islands, Kazakhstan. THAT would be a messed-up draw.

Perhaps it is realistic now. But take the situation where, 12 years into the game, same nations have got stronger and others have weakened.

You could be left with a group of:

Holland, Sweden, Slovenia, Bosnia, Macedonia and Andorra - with the first 5 all being top 15 countries due to awesome newgens

Croatia, Czech Republic, Norway, Finland, Cyprus and Armenia - with none of them in the top 50 in the world because of shocking newgens.

Which is exactly the point in seedings and why they should change; to avoid situations like this.

Good question Sporter, although I assume you mean 10.3?

The question is whether it was really an issue before 10.3 and, if so, if its been fixed. There's nothing in the change list.

I have to say that I'm a little disappointed that this hasn't been at least acknowledged by SI officialdom. I understand that these are busy forums and people have to be patient but a week and a half is a long time to wait for what should be a simple yes or no answer.

Archived