Would you consider this cheating?

Okay so I bought a player a player named Luca Caldirola a while back and i'm in 2013/2014. If I were to go into the data editor and change his Potential Ability to 200 and see how far he gets, would it be considered "cheating". I don't ever use Data Editor but I just thought that younger players should always have a great potential ability and let them train it out!=)

Players don't make a difference anyway. Example: Manage Hull and give them the best players in the game and they'll play crap for you because you're Hull.

And don't forget...

When you play against another human, you're players play for you. But when you play against the computer, your players stats are lowered (probably halved, depending on the team you manage) to make the game difficult.

Players don't make a difference anyway. Example: Manage Hull and give them the best players in the game and they'll play crap for you because you're Hull.

And don't forget...

When you play against another human, you're players play for you. But when you play against the computer, your players stats are lowered (probably halved, depending on the team you manage) to make the game difficult.

I call nonsense.

And don't forget...

I think not :D

I think not :D

i'm gunna try a little experiment...

Im gunna manage Hull and give them MAN U's players and see where I finish in the league (with tactics at default) and then I'm gunna manage the original Man U (again, tactics at default) and see what happens.

I'll do a couple of test results and post screenshots :)

i'm gunna try a little experiment...

Im gunna manage Hull and give them MAN U's players and see where I finish in the league (with tactics at default) and then I'm gunna manage the original Man U (again, tactics at default) and see what happens.

I'll do a couple of test results and post screenshots :)

Also try giving Man U the reputation Hull has and vice versa if you want to do an additional experiment.

Also try giving Man U the reputation Hull has and vice versa if you want to do an additional experiment.

Exactly. That's what I'm trying to say.... It's the clubs reputation that makes the real difference. You need to do well with low reputation teams to get your reputation up in order for the best players to make any real difference at your club.

So it's not just as simple as managing a crap team and buying great players

This might be a tip if you're managing a continental team: Don't go for the very best (ie continental reputation players), go for the good national players instead :)

And go for the continental players if your clubs reputation moves up to worldclass.

We'll see after the experiment ;)

yup its definitely cheating but not too bad. i pesonally hate cheating in fm cos it ruins the experience of building a championship team.i once started a new game just because i replayed a match that won me the league,i had to,it just didnt feel right.Now thats dedication :thup:(and addiction too).

yup its definitely cheating but not too bad. i pesonally hate cheating in fm cos it ruins the experience of building a championship team.i once started a new game just because i replayed a match that won me the league,i had to,it just didnt feel right.Now thats dedication :thup:(and addiction too).

LOL on CM4 I have played the 1st season hundreds of times trying to get Florentia Viola a perfect lg season. 34, 0, 0, (X amount of goals for) 0 goals conceded.

And once managed to do it :D

I admire your dedication :thup::thup:

Okay so I bought a player a player named Luca Caldirola a while back and i'm in 2013/2014. If I were to go into the data editor and change his Potential Ability to 200 and see how far he gets, would it be considered "cheating". I don't ever use Data Editor but I just thought that younger players should always have a great potential ability and let them train it out!=)

This is one of the most dispicable things I have EVER seen.

Exactly. That's what I'm trying to say.... It's the clubs reputation that makes the real difference. You need to do well with low reputation teams to get your reputation up in order for the best players to make any real difference at your club.

So it's not just as simple as managing a crap team and buying great players

Your reputation will be likely to impact:

- The tactics other teams play against you

- Your players confidence

Pretty obvious? ;)

Technically - no

Here is the definition for cheating:

Verb Transitive

1. To deceive by trickery; swindle: cheated customers by overcharging them for purchases.

2. To deprive by trickery; defraud: cheated them of their land.

3. To mislead; fool: illusions that cheat the eye.

4. To elude; escape: cheat death.

Verb Intransitive

1. To act dishonestly; practice fraud.

2. To violate rules deliberately, as in a game: was accused of cheating at cards.

3. Informal To be sexually unfaithful: cheat on a spouse.

4. Baseball To position oneself closer to a certain area than is normal or expected: The shortstop cheated toward second base.

What he's doing falls under none of these. He has merely created a scenario in which this player has outstanding potential and thereby made the game easier for himself and perhaps enhanced his experience thereof.

Technically - no

Here is the definition for cheating:

Verb Transitive

1. To deceive by trickery; swindle: cheated customers by overcharging them for purchases.

2. To deprive by trickery; defraud: cheated them of their land.

3. To mislead; fool: illusions that cheat the eye.

4. To elude; escape: cheat death.

Verb Intransitive

1. To act dishonestly; practice fraud.

2. To violate rules deliberately, as in a game: was accused of cheating at cards.

3. Informal To be sexually unfaithful: cheat on a spouse.

4. Baseball To position oneself closer to a certain area than is normal or expected: The shortstop cheated toward second base.

What he's doing falls under none of these. He has merely created a scenario in which this player has outstanding potential and thereby made the game easier for himself and perhaps enhanced his experience thereof.

Yes, we're all very quick to say he's cheating, but I wonder who or what exactly is he cheating, hmm.

He's editing the database to gain an advantage. That is cheating.

But who is he cheating is the point?

IMO he is cheating himself, giving himself a potentially better player than a lot of other teams have. If this player does reach his potential then he is either going to be much much better which will improve the on pitch fortunes of the team, or he will attract a massive fee from one of the top clubs which willl enable Trikstaa to either build a better team or build a better club infrastructure.

Perhaps not cheating by definition, but it is shifting the goalposts of his save dont you think?

He has edited the database to give himself a better player than it otherwise would have been. How can that not be cheating?

It's not like hitting God-mode on some shoot everything that moves game, but it is nevertheless cheating.

Let's say he did that with every player in his team. Would that not be cheating? Changing every player of his hated teams to something terrible. Still not cheating?

He has edited the database to give himself a better player than it otherwise would have been. How can that not be cheating?

It's not like hitting God-mode on some shoot everything that moves game, but it is nevertheless cheating.

Let's say he did that with every player in his team. Would that not be cheating? Changing every player of his hated teams to something terrible. Still not cheating?

Woah, I agree with you remember?

I'm just asking who is the OP cheating? If he is playing online against someone then he is cheating someone. If he is playing his own game then he is only cheating himself.

Of course it's cheating. What else would you call it?

agree with you its cheating:thdn:................but mitigating circumstances are the op was saying he just wants to see what would happen to this player.....would he reach that potential etc etc

would have been better perhaps do this to another teams player...if it is an experiment;)

PA 200 doesn't mean the player will ever fulfill said potential, and surely he won't if he's playing for a mid-table side with average facilities and average staff.

And/or if his mental stats are mediocre.

All you could achieve, technically, is having just another "World Class prospect who turned out being Just Okay"... think of Riquelme (or Owen, or Pennant).

But back to the original question, yes it's cheating but it's not the end of the world.

it could argued that he is cheating us if he ever decides to post bragging threads regarding his team containing the "super player"

Yes - I'd have to agree with that but the chances of that are unlikely after he's just announced to the world in general what he's doing.

Archived