How to sign Messi?

Unless he wants to come he aint going to mate!

Not even our money can tempt him..

are you in the CL?

If you won the EPL last year and are in the CL and offer him a massive massive some of money maybe!

Ribery contract is running out soon i think so try and offer him a deal he will come

Why would he want to go from the great Barcelona who won everything last year to Man City, a team that is yet to prove they're worth anything? He's getting paid enough, is in a great team, a great country where he feels at home.

I know I wouldn't give that p for a bit of extra cash.

The trouble with players like messi, torres, gerrard, c ronaldo etc is that they wont come for no amount of money even if you have won everything consecutively :( unfortunately the only way to do it is to cheat (a little) - normally i will go in a save game editor and make the player unhappy, dislike his club/manager and like my club/manager/players and even that sometimes doesnt work......i think its stupid really but there ya go

The trouble with players like messi, torres, gerrard, c ronaldo etc is that they wont come for no amount of money even if you have won everything consecutively :( unfortunately the only way to do it is to cheat (a little) - normally i will go in a save game editor and make the player unhappy, dislike his club/manager and like my club/manager/players and even that sometimes doesnt work......i think its stupid really but there ya go

Not true at all!

Torres will come if you win something big in your first season and liverpool dont!

the other boys wont your right!

If you win lots, and their club wins very little, there's more of a chance they'll come.

Most of the time there's no point even approaching a player when you don't have a scout report saying he's interested to some level.

Although, in my latest game as a relegation-threatened Milan, Maxi Rodriguez was initially interested in me according to scout reports, then some while later he wasn't anymore when I made an offer, but then went into some "if I offer enough to convince him" thing and in the end some 70-80k per week and a healthy signing fee was enough.

But yeah, I think he was on my AssMan's filtered list of people who wanna party with me. I don't really look at players not on there.

Why would he want to go from the great Barcelona who won everything last year to Man City, a team that is yet to prove they're worth anything? He's getting paid enough, is in a great team, a great country where he feels at home.

I know I wouldn't give that p for a bit of extra cash.

Cheating fool ^

I aint gonna get into the whole "to cheat or not cheat" debate but i feel sometimes its needed, for instance my man utd team has won the champs league twice in 3 seasons and won the premiership consecutively for them 3 season along with winning the fa cup twice and league cup once, Liverpool aint finished top 4 in all them seasons, I bid enough for Rafa to accept and torres didnt come because he loved liverpool very much......................I'm sorry but that is bull manure!!!! in real life you would have to think that he would have come................it reminds me of the FM (or CM) before united signed evra and you couldnt get him for love nor money (yet in real life we got him for 12.4million) - at the end of the day yes its a game but its supposed to be a game that mimics real life so........thats my argument to it all lol

I aint gonna get into the whole "to cheat or not cheat" debate but i feel sometimes its needed, for instance my man utd team has won the champs league twice in 3 seasons and won the premiership consecutively for them 3 season along with winning the fa cup twice and league cup once, Liverpool aint finished top 4 in all them seasons, I bid enough for Rafa to accept and torres didnt come because he loved liverpool very much......................I'm sorry but that is bull manure!!!! in real life you would have to think that he would have come................it reminds me of the FM (or CM) before united signed evra and you couldnt get him for love nor money (yet in real life we got him for 12.4million) - at the end of the day yes its a game but its supposed to be a game that mimics real life so........thats my argument to it all lol

Some players just won't join a rival team. To me that's very realistic.

If City won the Prem a few times and United dropped out of the top 4, would Rooney just go to City? No, he wouldn't. It's the same.

Right, so you're saying all players should be unloyal money grubbing fools? Next time you fail to win the Premiership and Champions League and the team who does win the CL offers $80 million and $250,000/week to Rooney, and the chairman steps in and accepts, don't complain.

Tbf we will never know, as never say never!

cough Tevez cough

Tevez is a bad example as he hardly struck me as a loyal player even before his move to Man City. He basically went wherever his advisor told him to. He even joined West Ham! Whereas Torres has only had two clubs. He would only leave Atletico for a team not in Spain and rejected Real Madrid so it's not unimaginable for him to not want to join Man Utd.

How is it the same?

He is not saying that EVERY player will join the club but the point he makes is FACT!

Because loyalty is a huge factor, Torres clearly likes Liverpool FC, the club, the fans, the place, he even speaks in a Spanish/Scouse accent. He wouldn't be prepared to give that all up to join a rival for some trophies, some things are more important to some people.

I signed Torres away from Liverpool with Sevilla in the 4th season and I had not won anything finished 3rd twice and 2nd in the league never got further than the semi finals of the Champions League. Torres won't sign for Man United because they are rivals in my opinion.

cough Tevez cough

I only managed to get him (to sign for City) in FM09 by using FMRTE to get all sorts of "unhappy with his manager" and "hates his club" things going on.

I signed Torres away from Liverpool with Sevilla in the 4th season and I had not won anything finished 3rd twice and 2nd in the league never got further than the semi finals of the Champions League. Torres won't sign for Man United because they are rivals in my opinion.

The problem here is that there are "real" rivals and simply rivals due to competing for the same trophies, and the latter shouldn't really prevent transfers as much as it seems to in FM.

I only managed to get him (to sign for City) in FM09 by using FMRTE to get all sorts of "unhappy with his manager" and "hates his club" things going on.

Woah Neo, he rejected his local rivals and thus can also easily reject ManU.

(No, makes no sense)

(But I mean at Manchester he'd have been one star attacker among many and maybe even benched, while Liverpool has no decent players besides him and old Stevie G)

He considered Real his rivals at Atlético, and considers United as his rivals at Liverpool...

Woah Neo, he rejected his local rivals and thus can also easily reject ManU.

(No, makes no sense)

(But I mean at Manchester he'd have been one star attacker among many and maybe even benched, while Liverpool has no decent players besides him and old Stevie G)

Are Liverpool and Manchester United not local rivals? I think that they are. They have a famous history of not liking each other.

August 1912 Tom Chorlton Liverpool Manchester United

November 1913 Jackie Sheldon Manchester United Liverpool

September 1920 Tom Miller Liverpool Manchester United £2,000

May 1921 Fred Hopkin Manchester United Liverpool

February 1929 Tommy Reid Liverpool Manchester United

January 1938 Ted Savage Liverpool Manchester United

November 1938 Allenby Chilton Liverpool Manchester United

February 1954 Thomas McNulty Manchester United Liverpool £7,000

April 1964 Phil Chisnall Manchester United Liverpool £25,000

Did Gerrard move to Chelsea a few seasons back when Liverpool weren't challengers for much and Chelsea were dominating domestically?

Did Terry move to Man City this summer?

And in those two examples the transfers aren't between clubs with a local rivalry!

Correct. Money talks, but some players don't want to move for a variety of reasons, loyalty being a massive factor. The game reflects this well IMO.

cough Tevez cough

Yeah after the great treatment the Man U staff gave him.

How can he be loyal to a team like Man U anyways, a team whose followers are generally anything but truly loyal?

Good on him for moving to City, he looks better in blue anyways.

Yeah after the great treatment the Man U staff gave him.

How can he be loyal to a team like Man U anyways, a team whose followers are generally anything but truly loyal?

Good on him for moving to City, he looks better in blue anyways.

Too bad City doesn't looks better than United. ;)

Correct. Money talks, but some players don't want to move for a variety of reasons, loyalty being a massive factor. The game reflects this well IMO.

And I agree with this and like how the game has implemented it. In my game, I have a regen who is on his 3rd season now and was born in the city of my club and brought up in the team, my chairman accepted offers of 60k for him (this is the Blue Square Premier League) but he wouldn't go -- the clubs offering were Stockport, Lincoln and Oldham, which are massive compared to my team.

It was said in a previous podcat that some players such as Gerrard etc... wont move teams unless their contract runs out. Its something to do with a slow retirement so Miles was saying

in FM2009, after managing ManCity for several successful years (win cups, champ league), i could buy gerrard, but he was just a bit too old for me (29?) for the price they're asking (€ 60 M)

There's a fact that people have forgotten about, when discussing the torres tevez loyalty thing. The fact being that Liverpool and United considers eachother as the fiercest rivals. For Liverpool, United would prolly be a bigger rival than the next local rival, Everton. For United, Liverpool is the biggest rival compared to the other clubs, even the local rival City. This rivalry is why Tevez stated that he would never consider moving to Liverpool in respect for United's fans and instead choose to move to City, even though they are local rivals.

in FM2009, after managing ManCity for several successful years (win cups, champ league), i could buy gerrard, but he was just a bit too old for me (29?) for the price they're asking (€ 60 M)

Yeah I signed Gerrard in 2nd season on FM09 with City for £30m upfront, £30m over 24 months.

its not about him likingyour club, its about him disliking he's. You have to be patient but it is possible. i tend to wait till barca hit some bad form, then bid whatever it takes to get accepted (even if u cant afford it). he will not be intrested but it will **** him off that barca want 2 sell him. So getting him annoyed with his current club and praising him is the way to go. (£300k a week might help aswell).

For Liverpool, United would prolly be a bigger rival than the next local rival, Everton. For United, Liverpool is the biggest rival compared to the other clubs, even the local rival City.

Sorry, but IMO, that's total rubbish.

Sorry, but IMO, that's total rubbish.

Sorry but its not. A quick look on liverpool and united on the editor, u'll confirm that united's biggest rival is indeed liverpool and vice versa. This is probably due to the fact that Liverpool used to rule english football in the old days, before United taking over from 1992. They both share the record of winning EPL the most with 18 times champions each.

Sorry but its not. A quick look on liverpool and united on the editor, u'll confirm that united's biggest rival is indeed liverpool and vice versa. This is probably due to the fact that Liverpool used to rule english football in the old days, before United taking over from 1992. They both share the record of winning EPL the most with 18 times champions each.

I don't use any editor.

I'm talking about real life, Liverpool want to get one over on United sure, but their rivalry with Everton goes back much further than the United rivalry and it's more important to them. United and City fans hate eachother, as do Liverpool and Everton fans. You don't get the same atmosphere at United - City, as you do at United - Liverpool.

I got torres for £80 million with man city. Liverpool initially wanted £130 million. That was at the start of my third season. I won the prem two years on the trot and got knocked out in the group stages of the champs league.

To be honest he aint worth it. Scores lots but is always injured. might try to sign messi or ronaldo next season.

I got torres for £80 million with man city. Liverpool initially wanted £130 million. That was at the start of my third season. I won the prem two years on the trot and got knocked out in the group stages of the champs league.

To be honest he aint worth it. Scores lots but is always injured. might try to sign messi or ronaldo next season.

There are a couple threads around here you should take a look. In one, someone signed Messi for Real Madrid for £90 million, and soon was regretting it. In another, a guy signed Rooney for Atletico Madrid for some insane amount as well and ended up regretting it as well.

In all honesty, if you're going to spend that kind of money on a player, then you're almost setting yourself up for disappointment.

It's very tough, if not impossible unless for some insane reason he asks to leave Barca. I offered silly money on my Arsenal game on 10.1 and Barca wouldnt even entertain any offer (offered as much as 90 million every pre season up until he was 28 )

Signings big players can be a great thing, I signed Ribery for 35 mil ( not the most expensive buy I know ) on 150k for a week for Arsenal and he was outstanding, 25+ goals a season. The only reason i was willing to pay such a fee for Messi was I went 3 years without making big signings and no regen was coming through for AMR worth signing.

The most i spent on FM10 was 60 mil for some regen brazilian striker who was better than any player on the game and still only 23 years of age.

Archived