Friendlies, often? How often?

Tried searching for information on the recommended frequency of friendlies, both preseason and midseason, didn't find a whole lot. I did see on the FMWiki that one of the guides recommended 6 preseason friendlies, 3 competitive for starters, 3 patsies for subs.

Other than the obvious, that friendlies against some of the top clubs can bring in up to 350K in an away appearance fee per match, or around that home revenue after paying an appearance fee to said top club, I'm wondering how often should I be playing friendlies for my seniors, and for my subs and what's the benefit?

I'm inclined to schedule as many friendlies as I can during preseason, given 2 full days rest my starters can go again, same for my subs, which means I could schedule 2 for every 3 days, one for starters, one for subs. I like the revenue it generates, and with my subs taking out patsies frequently, morale stays high, though even losses against top sides keeps morale high I find.

--Am I correct that playing in these friendlies, regardless of how many, can all increase players current attributes as well as get them match fit, get them playing together better, integrating better, becoming more comfortable with each other?

--Is there a wall that they'll hit if they play too many matches in a season and therefore suffer later in the season?

--Are there any negatives to scheduling friendlies ad nauseam besides the obvious chance of injuries in "meaningless" matches?

--Is playing more friendlies best because it'll skill up your younger players faster?

--Should older players sit out friendlies once they're "Match Fit" as they won't advance and will only suffer injuries and possible attribute decreases?

I'd like as many opinions on this as possible, since few things in FM are concrete I'm finding, so I'd really like to hear pro and con opinions from multiple coaches. Thanks everyone.

For me, much of the answer depends on one's playing style. I try to play a realistic lower-league career so scheduling a whirlwind twelve-matches-in-ten-cities-in-eight-days pan-galactic tour is out. Similarly, I don't schedule any matches against clubs nine leagues up to rake in the cash just because I can.

Those reality-checks aside, for pre-season I usually schedule about seven friendlies, each one four or five days apart, primarily to integrate the squad and boost morale and fitness. My goal is to have all players match-fit for the opener. I also pick and choose which games to play at home as llama teams can easily lose money on home friendlies. During the season, I schedule a sprinkling of reserve friendlies to maintain fitness for (obviously) reserve players and all unfit first-teamers.

To answer your specific questions in a general way, playing more friendlies contributes several benefits as you've noted -- integrating the team and boosting fitness -- but there is a price. While it varies considerably from player to player, match saturation will eventually set in over a long season if you add in a lot of friendlies. The experts may correct me on this next point but I don't believe friendlies add much in the skill department. I've read that skill development comes mostly from training, not playing matches. Which makes sense as playing matches represents a relatively small percentage of the overall weekly schedule. Finally, besides the downside of injuries, cards received during friendlies apply to the regular season.

Usually 6 games, 1 every 4 or 5 days, with a gap of about a week between my last friendly, and the 1st game of the season. Generally do the first 2 games where everyone gets 45mins in each game, the next 2 where everyone gets about 70mins each (so 70mins for 1 team in game 1, 70mins for the 2nd team in game 2), then the final 2 where each set of players plays 90 minutes (same as the 70mins routine I mentioned). Generally do games against a mix of opposition, some from higher leagues, some from Europe, and some from lower leagues. By the first day of the season, most of the players have pretty high fitness levels.

Well most big clubs tend to have around 2 or 3 preseason leagues. Like one major one for exposure or money and then the rest they are invited or in addition to little friendlies.

I tend to have 2 or 3 preseason leagues. If I do more the players get too fatigued and then I pay the price with massive injuries and end up losing Supercups and or risk losing opening fixtures. You could have a friendly every day but its unrealistic and you will just risk massive injuries. FM09 was a bit more realistic with friendlies because they were a lot harder to get.

Playing Cambridge United now in the CC Championship.

About six proper games, against a mixture of weaker & stronger teams, plus a couple of real ass-kickings. (Good old Glenn Hoddle's academy, always good for double figures.)

Also, a couple of reserve friendlies to get fringe players fit.

I guess that's quite a lot.

My priority is match fitness but I always have to do a lot of wheeling and dealing between seasons and try to play a strong side to help them "gel."

Also, I leave an eight day gap before my first real game, so everyone can be 100%.

Depends on a lot of things, if you have a lot of new signings, your team's finances, etc. I'm a big team so finances aren't a concern, I schedule 2 a week and usually play my starting 11 in the first half and sub in my reserve 11 in the 2nd half for the first few games, then start mixing and matching so players get used to each other, then give them a few days off before and after the Community Shield. I think older players don't benefit much from friendlies once fit, unless they are trying to gel with new signings.

Archived