Your earliest memories of cm/fm

Although i have played Championship Manager / Football manager (not FM09) since its creation, memories begin to fade and gel into one big game. A couple of other threads (worst cm/fm) got me thinking, what is my earliest memory of this game.

I can remember buying the original with my pocket money and my dad telling me not to waste my money but i dont remember the game much. So a few years after this my earliest memories are-

1.Going to buy CM Italy which was a seperate disk back then. I loved managing AC Milan (and although not 100% sure) i had Jean Piere Papin and Dejan Savicevic up front. My team also boasted a freshed face Paulo Maldini.

2. Not in order but i loved a version with Paul Gascoigne at Rangers with Marko Negri banging the goals in. Also Gattuso as a young starlet.

3. A young Henry at Monaco, (pretty sure Trezeguet was a good prospect there at the time).

4. Gabriel Batistuta and Rui Costa destoying the Italien league with Fiorentina.

5. A great Parma save with Buffon, Thuram, Canavaro, Ortega and Crepo in there ranks.

However my best memory is me and a friend running home from school to play Barcalona v Real Madrid. I always told him madrid with Predrag Mijatovic and Fernando Hiero were better than my Barca team of Vitor Baia, Sergio, Nadal, De la Pena (beast 20's for lots of things), Luis Enrique, a young Figo and Sonny Anderson (top top striker). It was always a battle to sign 2 players. Robert Pires and Imbrahim Bakayoko who was an absolute monster. A few years later Bakayoko joined Everton and was so poor i almost cried.

So whats your earliest memories of this game which has stolen so much of our lives.

Also can anyone remember what version my AC Milan game was on. Thanks

my first manager i remember that it was premier league manager '99 ... i remember playing with my cousin, taking 2 teams from the last division to premier league ... then i remember also beating real madrid with leeds in ucl semi-final at home :) 3-2 i remember it was after they had 2-1 :) great times and memories :)

also i remember playing cm3 with inter, djorkaeff, ronaldo and all the lads were there :)

Buying my first PC back in '95, and after brief flirtations with Ultimate Soccer Manager and some EA rubbish i really got into CM.

Proper regens there were at that time, just wait til the legends had retired and you could pick them up as 17/18 year olds.

I'd the regen'd Papin, van Basten, Matthaus, Le Guen and my Aberdeen team won the Champions Cup.....which i think is the only time i've managed that, but i'll keep trying!

Mine was my brother buying Championship Manager 97/98 and me just marvelling at how complex it was compared to Premier Manager 98 which I had at the time. I remember my first competitive match as Spurs where I was mauled 4-1 by Manchester Utd. And I also remember a fond Norwich City save on that game as I led them to the Premiership (I finished rock bottom the next season!!). I absolutely loved the stadium pictures in the background depending on what ground you were playing at. It really added to the atmosphere for me......oh the memories!!

earliest memory i have was cm 97/98. i remember managing ireland to winning the 3 world cups and 2 euro championships one after the other beating germany in every final. ah those were the days...i remember you could play 2 or 3 seasons after a few hours

Earliest memory for me is of 96/97 when I got to the end of the game with Cowdenbeath, having won several European trophies. i had an obsession with Cowden at the time due to reading a newspaper article about how bad they were. The obsessiond eveoped to the extent that I have now seen them play several times, including once at Hampden Park.

Think it was about Champ 3, perhaps before, when Collymore was at villa. I loved him at the time (still one of my all time favourite players) and signing him for Fulham. I was so happy I nearly cried. I also remember playing it around my friends house when buck toothed Ronaldo was still at Inter, it had taken him about 6 tries on several different saves to sign him for Man utd. When he finally managed fox prize him away I accidently kicked the plug and turned the computer off, this was before he had a chance to save.

Needless to say, the punches that rained down on me after that were mighty painful.

Championship Manager, the first one. My brother had it for the Atari and I used to play it. Probably about 1996 or 1997. You had to put a result in from the bottom corner of the page.

I remember having Alan Shearer, John Fashanu and Stan Collymore as my Newcastle strike trio.

Then I moved on to CM2 and CM 97/98 through my sister's boyfriend, his sister used to look after me during school holidays and just dump me in front of a PC all day.

Some Cm on Amiga at a friends place. But after 40 glasses of some alcoholic substances i don't really count it. Do have a slight memory of it though.

Apart from that it was CM97/98. Was playing in the basement of his parents house. Skipping classes and all that. In the end i had to buy it myself. Needless to say the damage was done. I'm still here :D

I still remember the first CM games (I started as a youngster on CM '93), needing to get 3 floppy discs to format on the Amiga to play a new game. :D

I had a great game with my brother and his mate on one of those old CM's (the '94 end of season update I think - my fave version - or CM '95 as I call it). I was Blackburn and sold Shearer to my bro (who was Man Yoo), as I thought a striker called Power could do the job, who was good but I ultimately lost the title that season to him after winning it for 2 years before IIRC. I still regret selling Shearer.. :D

I remember how you couldn't sign foreign players in certain versions (they were always unavailable or something IIRC), but in CM '94 I think it was, you could; Nil Lamptey and co. were snapped up gratefully. :D

I loved Italia 94...Van basten..no words!

Thats why i didn't play Dejan Savicavic, i remember having this quality player but not playing him much. Van Basten woul have been my stiker with Papin, as a 10/11 year old i couldn't see past 442.

Do you remember the old search for buying players

Home based or foreign based. Maybe there were filters but i never found them back then.

My brother had the first Champ Manager on Amiga. He used to work on a Sunday and i would be allowed into his room to play it all day while he was at work.

We now play against each other on a network game, amazing how 1 game title has lasted so long.

Do you remember the old search for buying players

Home based or foreign based. Maybe there were filters but i never found them back then.

The 'interested players' filter :cool:

Saved quite a lot of time that one, I remember the joy when a player you wanted suddenly appeared on it.

Playing the first (origional) Championship manager on the Domark label on the Atari, with no real player names. Playing a Man Utd with the good old 442 formation and printing out my squad list on a dot matrix printer to keep a track of their progress. Ahh the memories...

I had CM 01/02 which I didnt like but it was free with my new PC and I didnt play it for years, but I got CM 6 soon after I played 01/02.

I managed Blackburn and had a torrid season, and Henrik Larsson wouldnt score goals. Barcelona were too easy to play as. Whichever team I was I could sign Pavel Nedved for about £500,000 - strangely Mr. Nedved became manager of Doncaster Rovers (but was sacked because he relegated them - he couldn't speak English!). I remember downloading a 'Diablo' tactic, which took Cambridge Utd from the BSN up to League One (before I lost interest). The last ever game I played for CM 6 was beating Barcelona 3-0 with Cambridge Utd - this was with the Diablo tactic, and I never bought players so they were the same semi-pros from the BSN (my player judgement was primitive back then, I would just sign players who were good at dribbling all the time). Then I got FM07...

my earliest memories on CM were of strike partnership................A young Andri Schevchenko and Andri Sigborsson (think thats how its spelt) were the players I would always buy in a certain CM (cant remember which one now)....Its a shame tho coz about 8yrs ago Sigborsson broke his leg and retired.......he never had the chance to become a legend in real life (although he always was in the early games)

CM 96/97 for me. I adored the earlier versions for the simplicity, the current FM games are brilliant, but I can't help think that a lot of users would love a simpler old fashioned style game as well.

I actually remember my first ever match, was Man Utd and beat Newcastle 3-2 in the charity shield, Albert scored a goal and I remember Andy Cole scoring. That game used to freeze alot, like lots of other CM2 users, would always hope to sign Ronaldo, finally signed him, then the game froze :(

I had great fun taking Wrexham for div2 to 3rd in the Premiership, before my game froze :(

I had CM 97/98, loved it as well, but hated the fact that there was a £50k a week wage limit and so many players (like Denilson) would require more!

I had the classic CM 01/02, ahh too many memories from there, but my Roma file was pretty special. Had 14 seasons at Newcastle, when I had the same midfield for most of those seasons, pretty much every game- Dyer, Gerrard, J.Cole and Ronaldinho in the free role.

Don't really get the same joy out of FM these days, sadly, not bashing it, its still a great game.

Does anyone remember CM 95/96 the forgein leagues version? It came with my beloved CM 96/97 game.

Sooo many memories on that, with Juventus in Serie A and then Bayern Munich, Klinsmann was a beast on that game, then I remember one summer I signed all these foreign players (like Giggs and Cantona) and I couldn't fit them into my team due to the 3 foreigner rule.

And whenever I see a supergoalie bug thread, I always remember one Juventus game, I must of had like 50+ shots, was non stop for about 80 minutes, then they bloody scored 2 goals!

My earliest memory is getting Fm 2007. Until then I had been a console manager on LMA. I then got a really good PC and my Uncle bought me Fm 07 for my birthday. I was blown away with the amount of leagues there were and how you could manage nations. My first game on FM was thusly with England and I beat Greece 3-0 in a friendly. Good times!

I can't remember what version of the game it was but my earliest memories of FM were playing it at my mates house when I was really young. After that it was getting the game being Rangers and selling my players by managing another team and then buying world superstars. Cheating was great fun as a kid.

1st manager game I got was Premier Manager 3!!! And I wish I hadn't.

Then I remember getting Championship Manager 93/94, going as Manchester United and buying Chris Sutton as my 1st signing. Walked the league and league cup double before letting go of some of older players (Robson, Phelan, Sealey and Blackmore) and getting in the likes of Chris Armstrong, Stan Collymore and David Batty. Good old days. Used to love getting the likes of Alan Shearer for a massive fee of around 3 million!!!

I can't remember what version of the game it was but my earliest memories of FM were playing it at my mates house when I was really young. After that it was getting the game being Rangers and selling my players by managing another team and then buying world superstars. Cheating was great fun as a kid.

Cheating was great! I remember winning 64-0 on CM 97/98!

Remember borrowing the original off my mate for the Amiga. Loaded it up and it didn't have real players which was a shock as I'd been playing Premier Manager which did. Stuck with it though and pretty quickly realised that even without real players it was way better than anything else. Had a friend who refused to play it until the 93/94 version with real player names in it. He later admitted that he made a massive mistake!

CM2 Italia 95/96 Was my first copy... Me and my brother used to be AC and Inter Milan.

I remember having Roberto Carlos at Inter while he had a young Patrick Vieira at AC...

Memories

I think this is the one I had. All you had to do was sign Cantona, and you won the league. ;)

Archived