How can this injury be correct ?

Just had a game where an opposing player hacked down one of my men with 2 feet and was sent off, my player sustained an injury in the tackle, and then in the post match injury report, it said he would be out 5-6 months after pulling a calf muscle whilst pulling up short chasing a ball.

WHAT !!!!!!!!!!

Come on SI, where on earth is pulling up short chasing a ball consistent with getting hacked down and injured in a tackle ??

I've seen reports where a player gets injured after a robust tackle etc, but no mention of a tackle was made here.

Does the AI just pick an injury and out time at random, irregardless of how the injury occured or what the injury is (out for a year with a gashed head for example)

It would seem so, and that is plain stupid.

I've half a mind to just load up an editor and heal him if that's the case.

Was the injury in the match a serious ie did he have to come off?

Yes he came off as soon as the guy was sent off. This is a transcription of the report

Webb hacked down (player) with two feet.

(player) was injured and had to go off.

(player) had collided with Webb (i can't see how collided matches up with hacked down with 2 feet, they are two different things)

Webb recievd the red card.

So the player was injured...

And realistically through healing him you're a cheat...

Either way he was injured in the match one way or another, fair and square.

I've not healed him with an editor (so I'm not cheating)

I am still waiting to see what Neji (or any other mod) has to say regarding the inconsistency in the injury on the pitch to the injury in the after match physio report.

If they say, heal him, it's some kind of mistake/bug, then I will heal him.

Or if they say, even though there is a big discrepancy his injury is correct, then I will accept that, leave him injured and move on.

What do my fellow players think of the inconsistency ?

His injury can't be correct imo. He was injured because of the tackle. Pulling a calf muscle is something you do by yourself, not caused by a heavy tackle.

I've once had a match where 3 of my players all pulled their calf muscle in the same match. super realistic eh lol

A quote from About.com's sports medicine section:

" * Grade 1 Calf Strain : The muscle is stretched causing some small micro tears in the muscle fibers. Full recovery takes approximately two weeks.

* Grade 2 Calf Strain : There is partial tearing of muscle fibers. Full recovery takes approximately 5-8 weeks.

* Grade 3 Calf Strain : This is the most severe calf strain with a complete tearing or rupture of muscle fibers in the lower leg. Full recovery can take 3-4 months and, in some instances, surgery may be needed."

So as you can see a calf strain can take anything from two weeks to 4 months (with added rebuild time on this). Here is the site address if you want to read further.

From the description of the tackle (a two footed hack) a calf problem, broken shin or dislocated knee seem to me to be all plausible injuries (I'm not a doctor so I could be way off, but I don't think I'm too far wrong).

My main problem regarding injuries is that sometimes a player picks up an injury in a game, it is marked as being only a slight injury and a substitution is not necessary, the assistant manager will confirm this, saying something like "he should be able to run it off", and then after the game I'm told my player is out for x number of months with a fairly serious injury. I appreciate that sometimes IRL players will pick up injuries in a game which are later diagnosed as being more serious than first feared, but surely as a manager we can gain better feedback of their injury from physios to determine whether or not he should be substituted? I've had players break legs and still carry on. (Yes Stuart Pearce IRL did this, but he is a one off case, in more ways that one)

The player could quite easily have pulled up to try and avoid the tackle, but failed and got clattered....

Also, a two footed challenge doesn't actually have to hit for a referee to send the player off. It's perfectly possible that your player went over the offender, but the two footed tackle itself didn't actually hit... Robert Pires managed to injure his cruciate ligaments avoiding a challenge against Newcastle in the FA cup a while back if I remember correctly.

I also feel the need to mention that "irregardless" isn't a word. Not only is it a double negative (prefix of "Irr" and suffix of "less"), but it just isn't an actual word.

well i think what happened was maybe he had a twinge earlier on in the game but played on. then when ruinning with the ball he flicked ball on when the tackle came in but overstretched to flick the ball thus resulting in a calf strain so had to come off. its possible because when i played football something similar happened to me. im not saying that it deffinately happened this way so dont all jump on me lol.

The player could quite easily have pulled up to try and avoid the tackle, but failed and got clattered....

Also, a two footed challenge doesn't actually have to hit for a referee to send the player off. It's perfectly possible that your player went over the offender, but the two footed tackle itself didn't actually hit... Robert Pires managed to injure his cruciate ligaments avoiding a challenge against Newcastle in the FA cup a while back if I remember correctly.

I also feel the need to mention that "irregardless" isn't a word. Not only is it a double negative (prefix of "Irr" and suffix of "less"), but it just isn't an actual word.

Yeah Pires did that a few years a go and your explanation seems the most likely of the injury I can think of.

That said irregardless IS a word see this link. :D

Yeah Pires did that a few years a go and your explanation seems the most likely of the injury I can think of.

That said irregardless IS a word see this link. :D

Actually it is marked "US not standard" therefore it is not a word proper, but is included only as a commonly used word. P.S. why did you look in a learners dictionary the ... OK I was going to suggest the OED but that is a bit steep for one word.

Archived