Older players only wanting short(ish) contacts?

As older (28-29+) players contracts are about to expire I offer them new ones but it seems like they always only want to extend them for 2 years. If it's a good player and he's 29 years old I would like to try and tie him to a longer contract but it seems impossible.

Wouldn't an older player in real life be delighted to be offered another 3-5 years at the later stages of his career? It should (to me) be the club that shall be a bit reluctant to offer longer contracts to older players, or? Look at Wenger's policy of 1-year contracts to players being 30+ for example.

/JB

i'd imagine as they reach the end of their career they don't want to commit themselves for too long because they could slip out of the first team meaning they would want to leave to get as much football as possible or they may not be sure when they will retire so they're taking it one or two years at a time.

I've offered generous wages but they're simply not very interested in commiting to easy money...and the players are regular starters for me at the point of the contract offers so I just feel that you, charlo and Joel, give too much credit to the player's intelligence indicating they would look to what can happen down the line...

Thanks for your opinions though!

/JB

Well, a player may retire at any time during his career, but the matter of finances is due to the contract he signed. It doesn't really make much sense, that older players refuse longer contracts when the important wage/bonus options are very basic in FM, which is heavily in the player's favor.

They simply receive their sign bonuses at the beginning of their contract and earn regular weekly wages until their contracts either run out, they are terminated or they retire. There don't exist any penalties or payment options in their contracts which would prevent players from grabbing lots of money only to retire from the sport soon after.

I'm sure that this is part of regular real-life sports contracts and the way this is translated into the game, any virtual player on a declining level should be more than happy to sign an extension for as many years as they are offered.

A player can retire at any time, but if he finds himself aging and losing his position at a team of high quality he might want to go to a lesser squad to remain in the first team. He doesn't want to put himself in the position to only have 2 options; retire or accept a mentoring/reserve team role.

Sometimes I have the opposite problems..I want players to accept a year long contract, but they won't. I realize 2 years isn't that long, but when a player is 34/35 and still asking for $100,000 a week, I don't want to be giving him that 2 years into the future.

Archived