Football Tactics Books

I recommend the legendary 'bible' Inverting the Pyramid. Funnily enough, I'm just reading this for the second time around. It's awesome and very relevant to FM too. :cool:

I've also got some Massimo Lucchesi books, which I think are very interesting. I particularly like to read his analysis of how different systems work.

Alessandro Zauli's book on modern tactics is good but a poor translation. Quite interesting to read the opinions of top Italian managers though.

Jens Bangsbo is another author on football tactics that I know of but I've only ever read one of his books online. It looked a bit simplistic in places to me but there were interesting sections on different tactical styles of football in different countries.

I think most of these can be accessed via Google Books in order to read excerpts an check them out for yourself.

In addition to these, I recommend a book by Richard Saunders called Beastly Fury: The Strange Birth of British Football which gives excellent insight into the development of the game and is therefore useful when learning about tactical development in football.

As Zebanumut said, away from books, the tactics forum is excellent and actually the new T&T '10 is a fine football tactics book in its own right!

There are some good resources on the Internet. Even Wikipedia is a good bet now and then. Also, try the Football Italiano website and search through the articles (written in English) for a tactical background of Italian football. It's specific to Italian football with Italian football names for everything but totally relevant to all football regardless of nationality.

Hope some of that is useful. :thup:

Archived