Stauncher or Stinker

I Love it when a defender gets and early goal, because you can be almost assured that he'll have a stauncher of a game.

Conversely, if a defender gives away a penalty he's almost guaranteed to have the worst game of his career, so I just sub them, even if it's the first minute. They will get below 5.0 for the match if you leave them on.

And if my goalie gives away a peno, then I'll let him try and save it, but if he misses it then I'll take him off, even if it means putting in a 16 year old untested goalkeeper. There is just no coming back from giving away a penalty. Rating drops to below 5.0 for the game.

Anyone else have similar scenarios?

I've seen plenty of defenders and goalkeepers recover from mistakes. Granted not all the time, but sufficient enough not for me to sub them straight away...

The way I see it is if they get given a 5.0 and have made a single glaring error, they are basically on a 7.0.

Ive found this, the game takes in players state of mind through out the game, bad start it plays on their mind, good start and they are full of confidence, you can sometimes turn it around at half time but I find even though the rating is low they dont always have a terrible game

Are you looking at just their match rating or their actual statistics?

I have a feeling that a goal or a big mistake will have a big impact on their match rating, which might not always reflect how they have actually performed for the rest of the game. I think the match ratings can be a bit misleading at times.

I have a feeling that a goal or a big mistake will have a big impact on their match rating, which might not always reflect how they have actually performed for the rest of the game. I think the match ratings can be a bit misleading at times.

What I was about to say, but phrased so much better.

I seem to remember leaving these players on because the bench was a bit weak or whatever, and seem to concede a lot more goals leaving these players on.

When I subbed them even for youngsters, the youngster got a much better match rating, and I seem to concede less goals.

There just doesn't seem to be any way back for a player that makes a mistake during a game. Their match rate plummets and if I don't sub the player I tend to lose more often than not.

This is one thing i really hate bout the match ratings.

Just had Carra make a mistake. Rating dropped to 4.8 but before that was doing well - Dominating in air, missed 1 tackle out of 20.

One mistake plummets rating, after the rating crash won every tackle, header and only misplaced 1 pass. WE had won the game 5-1 and everyone else has ratings of 7.5 to 8.5 but he finishes on 5.3.

IRL yes it would be mentioned in ratings and such but to be about 3 points below everyone else after 1 mistake.

Seems a bit harsh sometimes

I got my defender on "mistake lead to goal" and his rating was 5.0, at the half time 5.1.

So I told him, don't let your performance down, after the match his moral was still: mistake lead to goal, but his rating: 6.3

On the other side, AI GK got a mistake lead to goal, and a rating 5.0 in the min. 12'. After that he still managed to save 13 straight shoots from 5-14m (SuperGK) and after the match got a 5.4 hehe

So, I don't give importance to this "mistake lead to goal". When before half time, tell him don't let your performance drop, when after half time, look for 10 minutes how is he playing (tackling, passing, one-ones,...) and if he is misarable, then change him.

This is one thing i really hate bout the match ratings.

Just had Carra make a mistake. Rating dropped to 4.8 but before that was doing well - Dominating in air, missed 1 tackle out of 20.

One mistake plummets rating, after the rating crash won every tackle, header and only misplaced 1 pass. WE had won the game 5-1 and everyone else has ratings of 7.5 to 8.5 but he finishes on 5.3.

IRL yes it would be mentioned in ratings and such but to be about 3 points below everyone else after 1 mistake.

Seems a bit harsh sometimes

I agree with this. Because, I would understand the drop to 5.3 when this goal would led to a equaliser, but when you are leading 2:0, 3:0, and you get a goal and the player get a 5.3 :thdn: this is unfair.

I got my defender on "mistake lead to goal" and his rating was 5.0, at the half time 5.1.

So I told him, don't let your performance down, after the match his moral was still: mistake lead to goal, but his rating: 6.3

On the other side, AI GK got a mistake lead to goal, and a rating 5.0 in the min. 12'. After that he still managed to save 13 straight shoots from 5-14m (SuperGK) and after the match got a 5.4 hehe

So, I don't give importance to this "mistake lead to goal". When before half time, tell him don't let your performance drop, when after half time, look for 10 minutes how is he playing (tackling, passing, one-ones,...) and if he is misarable, then change him.

Angry can work quite well aswell in that scenario.

My LB was rated 4.6 at HT. I told him I was 'Angry' as an individual team talk and he finished the match with a 7.2.

EDIT - If he shows no signs of improvement around the 60 minute mark then I haul the player off.

Whenever a player drops to a 4.9 or 5.0 after a mistake, I always sub them off straight away. I find that I often score within a few minutes after doing this, it might just be a coincidence, but it happens nearly every time. It feels like the game is 'rewarding' me for taking him off.

I used to leave them on, but they'd often make another mistake and cost me another goal.

Agree with what your saying but then it's match ratings not statistics that affecs a players morale so your hands are kind of tied. I tend to leave them till have time then say "have faith", sometimes then turn it around and the motivation box changes from "mistake led to goal", sometimes they don't recover and then i'll sub them after about 60 minutes.

Glad I'm not the only one :D

So I might experiment with this a bit more and see what team talks or whatever can improve someone's rating after a staunching mistake.

If anyone else finds anything more I'd be glad to hear about it.

It's something that's being bothering me for a while.

But surely a mistake is a mistake reagrdless of the result?

hmm, you are right too. But, when the player played a really good match, and has 8.5, it is min. 75' we are leading 3:0, and he make a bad pass which result in goal. OK, this can happen to everybody, but you can't judge him so hard, that you trow all his effort of the game because of a mistake. I mean, if you scale: 2 goal 1 ass. - 1 mistake (that didn't mean so much) and the result is: 5.4 :thdn: We are judging the mistakes to much. For me, this players should get a min. of 7.8 he mad a superb game, 2 goal, 1 assist, but in the last minute his concetration fault down and it lead to a goal. But, it seems that the game doesn't take in opinio the player effort before the mistakes. It was a mistake, so give him a 5.0 and because of the 2 goals (which lead to a 2:0 lead) and his assist for 3:0, gave him 0.4

Look at this:

One curios thing that I had: My GK was good, 7.4, no goals conceded until then, and in the min. 60' a long range shoot, he dives but can't touch the ball, the ball hit the upright and hit the diving GK in his back and went in goal. Tell me, how can this be a mistake? Because the game rated this as a "mistake lead to goal", so his rating fall down to 5.0, and his ability to save drops so much that I conceded 2 more goals :confused:

I mean, how can the moral of a player fell so much down because of a ball where he couldn't do anything to save it? I would more prefer if you would give "mistake lead to goal" when he didn't dive for the ball (like Dida watched Rooney by his second goal). So, the GK try with effort to save the ball and get his moral down, but the other GK that just stay on theire place and watch the ball going in, they are cool?

Archived