Problem Installing On Windows 7

I just upgraded to Windows 7 and I have reinstalled FM2010. I have noticed that in "my documents" there are now two "sports interactive" folders.i have noticed that one folder is the public one so I figured I could probably delete it. However this ended up just messing things up.

So I tried uninstalling the game completely and doing a fresh install. However, having done so it now only shows the public folder within my documents. The "user" one doesn't seem to install.

This then created issues when I tried to save my game files. I decided to just save them in the "games" folder within the public sports interactive one. Is this a reasonable thing to do or will it just create more problems?

Can I just create my own folder within my documents and tell it to save games there? If I was to create my own folder would I put all of my tactics, graphics etc in there as well?

I have also noticed that if I try to use the editor and save a custom database it then creates ANOTHER folder.

Alternatively is there a way to make sure that everything is deleted when you do an uninstall? I ran the uninstaller and then after doing so I made sure there was no sports interactive folder left behind in "my documents" or in "program files." And yet when I reinstall the game it still remembers my user profiles etc when I go to manage a new team. Surely if it has been fully uninstalled then it shouldn't remember anything.

I've literally just left them as it is. Check which one the game automatically puts tactics into. You can use that folder as you normally would. No need to touch the other one.

Well the problem I have now is that if i uninstall then re-install it doesn't create the two folders. I had wanted to tidy up unnecessary folders but i would now be content to just go with it if it means the game works properly. But as I mentioned.......when I uninstall and re-install it just creates the public folder now. I don't think it is uninstalling properly because when I re-install it remembers previous user profiles

The Windows 7 My Documents works differently from other versions of Windows. Previously My Documents was a single folder in which you could store, well... your documents. Now it is classed as a library. This means that My Documents displays files and folders from several locations.

This accounts for the duplication because it is showing the Sports Interactive folder from two locations.

To fix this click on Documents. At the top of the window you will see the words Documents Library and beneath it the words "Includes x location" where x is the number of locations shown. Just click on the blue link and highlight any location that isn't My Documents (which will be classed as your default save location) and press remove on the right.

Hopefully this should sort out your duplication problem. It may be worth reinstalling again once you've done this because it seems you may have deleted some important files!

Edit - just read your new post. It seems you've deleted the My Documents location from the Documents library and kept the Public Documents displayed - let me know which locations are shown when you click on the "includes x locations" link.

The Windows 7 My Documents works differently from other versions of Windows. Previously My Documents was a single folder in which you could store, well... your documents. Now it is classed as a library. This means that My Documents displays files and folders from several locations.

This accounts for the duplication because it is showing the Sports Interactive folder from two locations.

To fix this click on Documents. At the top of the window you will see the words Documents Library and beneath it the words "Includes x location" where x is the number of locations shown. Just click on the blue link and highlight any location that isn't My Documents (which will be classed as your default save location) and press remove on the right.

Hopefully this should sort out your duplication problem. It may be worth reinstalling again once you've done this because it seems you may have deleted some important files!

Edit - just read your new post. It seems you've deleted the My Documents location from the Documents library and kept the Public Documents displayed - let me know which locations are shown when you click on the "includes x locations" link.

Ahh I see. I just clicked on the blue link as you suggested and it listed "my documents" and "public documents" so I removed the public one.

Ahh I see. I just clicked on the blue link as you suggested and it listed "my documents" and "public documents" so I removed the public one.

Good. Hopefully that's sorted it for you now. If you still can't get Sports Interactive to show up try just starting a new game and saving in the default location - that should get the Sports Interactive folder back into your Documents folder.

Good. Hopefully that's sorted it for you now. If you still can't get Sports Interactive to show up try just starting a new game and saving in the default location - that should get the Sports Interactive folder back into your Documents folder.

Right I just uninstalled and then re-installed the game. I have got my documents to only actually show "my documents" by doing what you said with the blue link. However, there are now no sports interactive folders at all. How should I go about getting this to show up so i can add in all my graphics, tactics etc.

Edit: I just noticed what you wrote there. I have just started a new game and when I went to save it it comes up saying that it cannot be saved. There is no sports interactive folder withinj my documents anymore. However there is one appearing in:

C:\Users\Public\Documents\Sports Interactive

Right I decided to load and then close the editor. By doing so the Sports Interactive folder returned to my documents. I thought that was it sorted. I set my games to save to that location. I then added my graphics folder and tactics etc. However, when I reloaded the skin to get the graphics to show it didn't work! Do I need to change something else to get the game to recognise the graphics folder within my documents?

Right I decided to load and then close the editor. By doing so the Sports Interactive folder returned to my documents. I thought that was it sorted. I set my games to save to that location. I then added my graphics folder and tactics etc. However, when I reloaded the skin to get the graphics to show it didn't work! Do I need to change something else to get the game to recognise the graphics folder within my documents?

It sounds like you're mostly sorted now. The reloading looks like it did the trick. It's likely that the graphics problem you're having is to do with not having the correct preferences selected in the game. Are you should you've got "use skin cache" unticked and "always re-load skin on confirm" ticked?

It sounds like you're mostly sorted now. The reloading looks like it did the trick. It's likely that the graphics problem you're having is to do with not having the correct preferences selected in the game. Are you should you've got "use skin cache" unticked and "always re-load skin on confirm" ticked?

Yeah "use skin cache" is unticked and "always re-load skin on confirm" is ticked. I tried putting the graphics folder into the public folder, which then seemed to work. It is annoying having two different folders though. It is playable now though which is good. One minor gripe is that when I go to import tactics, the public folder seems to be the default. So instead of simply being able to select which ones to import into the game I need to scroll through files to locate the sports interactive folder in my documents. It is not really that big a deal but if I was able o change which folder was the default one then it would be good.

I have noticed in the general section of the game preferences there is a section which says "User Data Folder." I tried setting that as the sports interactive one in my documents to see if that made a difference but it didn't seem to really change anything.

Yeah "use skin cache" is unticked and "always re-load skin on confirm" is ticked. I tried putting the graphics folder into the public folder, which then seemed to work. It is annoying having two different folders though. It is playable now though which is good. One minor gripe is that when I go to import tactics, the public folder seems to be the default. So instead of simply being able to select which ones to import into the game I need to scroll through files to locate the sports interactive folder in my documents. It is not really that big a deal but if I was able o change which folder was the default one then it would be good.

I have noticed in the general section of the game preferences there is a section which says "User Data Folder." I tried setting that as the sports interactive one in my documents to see if that made a difference but it didn't seem to really change anything.

I'm afraid that I don't really know how to fix that. I suppose you could try uninstalling and then reinstalling the game. I know you've already tried that but that was before you sorted out the my documents problem. I would imagine, although I can't be sure, reinstalling the game would force the default save location to be used for games, tactics and graphics.

Archived