Match Engine frustrations

I've found I have to not watch most matches now because the players act so stupidly in the M.E, (I started out just selling the offenders, till the replacements did exactly the same things)

Players challenge for the ball, it goes one way, they both run in the opposite direction, or just stand still for a few seconds until something clicks and they both go for the ball again.

Also why do players sometimes run sideways when going forward? Are they crabs?

So many other little things, like a top class defender under no pressure just hoofing the ball out, the often mentioned straight on one on one's that are never scored.

Why do players never round the keeper, why dont they ever dribble

(not just run with the ball), do a trick beat the man etc

I just dont remember it being so painful to watch in FM08, does anyone else agree, maybe my expectations are way too high?

Also anyone else noticed that players dont celebrate at the final whistle when they win something unless its a penalty shootout-why?

But above anything, God i've love to see a proper mazy run, twisting defenders etc instead of just running in a straight line until tackled.

But above anything, God i've love to see a proper mazy run, twisting defenders etc instead of just running in a straight line until tackled.

I've seen such a thing. By Roque Santa Cruz, of all people. It won the goal of the month - he beat 3 players then rounded the keeper for a cheeky tap-in.

I've seen a lot of good tricks, but the key highlights mode doesn't show the failed attempts, so that's probably why you don't see it too often (assuming that's how you watch the matches).

As for FM08, it wasn't as frustrating to watch because there is less to watch. Blobs moving around vs little sprite men running around - much harder to programme, easier to criticise.

I actually read a few weeks ago someone asking to go back to the CM01/02 match engine, because that was "near perfect" - but that'll be the one with no animation whatsoever.

Stick with it - it'll get better, I'm sure.

Archived