Rivals and Confidence

I'm in the BSN and none of my rivals are in the same level of the league as me, one is at the top of the BSP and a couple more in L2.

In the FA cup, having got further then expected and then drew one of my rivals from the BSP.

They were strong favorites to win and before the match I got comments about how the supporters weren't expecting much from the game.

The game plays out and I get a creditable loss by one goal.

After the game, I get a "fans devestated by loss to one of their rivals" and the confidence is 15%.

I'm sure, when the opposition isn't a rival, the relative strength of the two teams acts as modifier on the confidence? Is this not the case in rival matches, or is the rival modifier just much larger? It wasn't a problem for me as I'm going alright this season, but in previous cash strapped and barely surviving years I can imagine this might have been the straw that broke the camels back in terms of my job security?

Any similar experiences higher up the league? Do you think the effect is right/realistic?

I feel that the confidence within the game is a little in need of tweaking. However it is true that fans would be very disappointed if they lost to a rival even if they were a higher level team but what is unrealistic is to attach this to your overall job security. At the end of the day in lower level football what tends to make or break you is your league performance and not a cup run. In game this is never suitably adapted. Take other teams, example a milan derby and even if one team wins everything on offer and then loses a cup match to the other, the fans would still be devastated and the board would be disappointed by the result when everything else has been achieved. IRL there would be disappointed but it would be quickly ignored.

Archived