Difference between "B" Teams and Reserves

I'm managing a team in La Liga and I have a "B" team in the nonactive 3rd division. I can move players freely from my team to the B squad, but it doesn't seem to work like having a reserve team in some of the other leagues. Am I right? Can I use it for maintaining match fitness?

So, by definition, a B team could play in the same league as their parent team, whereas a Reserve team could never do that.

Not in all countries - Spanish B teams can't be in the same division as their parent team, for example.

Reserves play in a seperate league structure. B teams play in the same structure, only a few levels lower. So, by definition, a B team could play in the same league as their parent team, whereas a Reserve team could never do that.

B teams are not allowed into the same league as the 'parent' club due to league rules. If a B team is supposed to get promtion into the same league as the parent they are just held in the league they gained promotion from.

edit: Or what x42bn6 said. Stupid hands don't type fast enough.

B and C teams still need a lot of work. You can move your players to the B and C team freely, but you have no control over whether he plays or not and there is no option to have him return to the senior squad when he is fit. You must recall him manually. Also, there are certain rules in the Spanish league which prevents players registered with the senior squad from being moved to the B or C team.

A player who is registered for the B/C team may play for a team higher up, but not the other way around. Also, there are further restrictions on when a player has already played 8 matches for his senior squad he may not transfer to another team in the top division in the same season.

You have to think of the B team a little differently. It's not a reserve team, but more like a feeder club that has a very close affiliation with your club. They share training facilities, but have their own backroom staff.

B and C teams still need a lot of work. You can move your players to the B and C team freely, but you have no control over whether he plays or not and there is no option to have him return to the senior squad when he is fit. You must recall him manually. Also, there are certain rules in the Spanish league which prevents players registered with the senior squad from being moved to the B or C team.

A player who is registered for the B/C team may play for a team higher up, but not the other way around. Also, there are further restrictions on when a player has already played 8 matches for his senior squad he may not transfer to another team in the top division in the same season.

So other than being able to call up B/C Players, it's more or less like a feeder club.

Edit: Crosspost with your addendum answering my question. Thanks.

Calling a B or C team a feeder club is incorrect. They share training facilities because they are part of the same club. Without the parent club there would be no B or C team. In fact its the parent club that decides on the existance of the B or C team. They are more like a youth team except they dont have an age restriction. This allows for the parent club to have players who may not be good enough for the main team but who have the potential of being useful, be it through transfer or through ability at a later date. Reserves as mentioned play in a totally different league structure although in Spain for instance there is no reserve league as you are limited to 25 players and some of these will be eligible for the B team.

As for the game, there needs to be an improvement in B team, C team and parent team relationship since its the main team manager who has a say in what players from the B or C team make it into the main team and who can or cannot be sold. Likewise B team managers are usually the first to be called up should the main team manager get sacked or decide to leave, so their role is more important than the Assistant manager, at least within Spain. This needs to be reflected in the game.

Archived