So does....

I assume that there's something underlying in that particular team talk that means the players take it as "I don't trust you to keep this level up without reminding you."

Anyone who's played football at any level will tell you that your coach almost always reminds you that the job isn't done at half-time, so I don't know why this choice has to be so negatively construed by the players.

Is it just me then that doesn't have any trouble with it? Could it not just be that the opposition comes out more fired up after half time because of the opposition manager's team talk?

I've used it to great effect many a time. I only ever use it when I am odds on favourite and winning by just a single goal with my team having decent to poor match ratings. When using it like this, it's very rare that my team don't get a far more convincing victory.

Team talks make perfect sense once you get behind them. I struggled, too, but since I read about team talks in the tactics forum, they all seem to work for me :thup:

In a nutshell: A team talk effects every player different based on his personality. So try to give personal talks.

"i dont exxspect your performance to drop" = sit back and let them score the needed number of goals to win. last three times i have used it my team has let in three goals in seconed half its a pointless teamtalk, saying your pleased at half time is a better option.

Yes that's exactly what it does

i've found that if my team is performing well they react better to being told that they are doing a good job, like saying you're pleased or something. Telling them you don't expect your performance to drop seems to be something you should use when they are just doing enough. As in they way they are performing now is your minimum expectation of them so i don't recommend using it when you're doing well.

Not a definitive guide, but my half-time teamtalk is usually:

1 goal up = "encourage"

2 goals up = "none" (don't know why but someone said try and I have and I have yet to lose after being 2 goals up since)

3 goals up = "pleased".

4+ goals up = "pleased" or "delighted" (although don't expect to score any more, unless they are waaaay inferior)

Drawing = pot luck, and I think depends on the opponants. If they are superior/about the same I say nothing. If inferior I use "I want to see more from you."

1 goal down = ditto for draw.

2 goals down = "I want to see more from you".

3+ goals down = "Letting the team down".

Like I said, these are not 100% effective, but I win far more than I lose.

Oh, and you should also note that these usually require some sort of tactical tweak too. 2-0 up at half time, then going back out with the same tactics is just suicide. The other team know your game and have adapted to try and counter it. You need to change something. I usually slow the pace and play narrower, and make sure I've got "counter attack" ticked. I have more games ending 3-0 than 2-2 or 2-3 in that scenario. But 2-0 up is a tough lead to defend sometimes, especially against superior teams.

When the "for the fans" option is not available at half time while leading comfortably, I rather say "none"

"Don't let you performance drop" and "Pleased" have a devastating effect, as if I said "The game is won already, do not even bother phoning it in in the second half".

Hell, a "Pleased" team talk while leading 3-0 against Gefle in CL second qualifying round provided a 3-2 final result...

Or the same "Pleased" talk can make it for a goalless second half against a non-league amateur side

"i dont expect your performance to drop" = sit back and let them score the needed number of goals to win. last three times i have used it my team has let in three goals in seconed half its a pointless teamtalk, saying your pleased at half time is a better option.

None of the teamtalks are pointless: the whole point of players having "personalities" is that over time you learn how to motivate them. Some will respond well to certain talks, others badly.

I often give my players the "don't expect performance to drop" talk, because they often get complacent if they go into HT ahead.

But when I am playing my reserve players, many of whom are younger and have weaker personalities, I have to vary my approach: If I tell them I don't want their performance to drop, and then they happen to concede a single goal, whilst still possessing a comfortable lead, they often become a bundle of nerves and things go haywire.

So I usually encourage them, massage egos a little and ease the pressure.

The team talks get more conservative as you head inwards: saying nothing doesn't often backfire hugely: whereas lavish praise, the pressure of "don't expect performance to drop" or heavy abuse are risky tactics: don't use them if you don't know how players are going to react

You also have to remember that the AI team are also getting a team talk. And one of the weaknesses of the game is that players do not become all that despondent when losing heavily (which is the real cause behind most routs) if they have decent determination, so there's always going to be a slightly higher chance of a comeback.

You also have to remember that the AI team are also getting a team talk. And one of the weaknesses of the game is that players do not become all that despondent when losing heavily (which is the real cause behind most routs) if they have decent determination, so there's always going to be a slightly higher chance of a comeback.

Ah, that's hit the nail on the head. IRL, a team 0-4 down just want the game to be over, so it doesn't matter that the winning side ease up.

In the game, it doesn't seem to matter whether it's 0-1 or 0-12, it just gets them motivated.

Best way I have found for picking team talks is the following :

Pick whichever option you want, at start of match, immediately pause it, switch to split view and select your teams motivation, however it won't appear until 10 mins have been played. At 10mins, and assuming it is still 0-0, hae a look at what each player's motivation is.

Personally, I have found that at the start of the match, selecting anything other than 'none' or 'youcan win today' makes your players play with v bad motivation, whereas with those 2 options, they are virtually all 'playing ok' meaning they are trying for you.

Do same as above for half time talk.

Teamtalks (and press conferences) are my least favourite features of FM games. The basic idea is good but the cryptic interpretations of what you say need to be modified. The majority of footballers are not deep philosophical thinkers , i say " i am pleased" should be understood by the players as " we did what was asked, he is pleased, lets continue that way" and not "he is pleased, i think he means lets stroll around and think about the duality of man whilst some chap runs past me with a leather, air filled, spherical object"

Been said before and it does need working on.

For realism, teamtalks are in the game but how much would change actually irl. Ok if your team has a shocking 1st half, a verbal assault is going to motivate them (if not, u have deeper problems) but when you are 3-0 up , saying "i don't expect your performance to drop" or "don't get complacent" should not, 99 times out of 100, result in the opponents storming back for a 4-3 win.

Archived