Praising player

My leading goalscorer hadnt been playing amazingly, not badly, just 7's mostly. Anyway on the last day of the season he scored 4 goals to win us the league on goal difference; i praised him and his response is that he doesnt need to do much to get praise from me.

Surely scoring 4 goals to win the league (again, only on goal difference) on the last day is enough to warrant any amount of praise from a manager, regardless of not playing amazingly in the previous few games or is it that the game is not able to differentiate between important games and standard games? Which, if so, is, I think, a bit crap.

It just means to never, ever praise him again; I plummeted a DR's morale from "Superb" to "Very Poor" by praising him one time. Since then, I haven't praised him again and he's fine. I'm his favorite person, in fact.

I'd imagine doing it too often, though, can unsettle a player. I try to limit my praise to press conferences, which doesn't seem to affect morale as often.

I hadnt thought of that, but as i say he wasnt really playing badly, just average e.g 2 goals in 5 games at about 7.something. I suppose my main gripe really was the feeling that the game wasnt able to differentiate the difference between an average league match and such an important one.

Archived