No English teams are overrated thread?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Now thats what I thought but when I re- read the sentence I thought he was being sarcastic. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That should be sentences.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Svenc:

There are English teams in the Premiership? *snickers* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, Arsenal! Duh icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Suge:

The Arsenal dressing room must be like a translator's wet dream . </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!!! icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FireStar:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> *snickers* </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dont you mean sniggers or marathon? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, a snicker is also a kind of laugh. Not sure if you know that and are just being humorous, or if you think he's mistaken and are having a joke at it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Suge:

Now count the number of English players involved in those 3 teams.

The Arsenal dressing room must be like a translator's wet dream. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

what do you mean? i am pretty sure most if not all the players could speak french there

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">originally posted by FireStar:-

'snicker, snigger, snort - a disrespectful laugh'.

Was trying to be humorous. Ah well I'm off to run a marathon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Run a marathon or a snickers?

Atleast United and Chelsea have [i[some[/i] English players in their squads.

Liverpool - Arsenal 2nd leg, you know, the "all English Quarter final" where only 4 Englishmen got on the pitch in the 90mins, shocking in my opinion.

One does hope that FIFA/UEFA, or whoever, brings in a system which dictates the amount of home grown players in the matchday squad.

**** THE PROOF THAT arsenal IS EVIL ****

A R S E N A L

65 82 83 69 78 65 76 - as ASCII values

2 1 2 6 6 2 4 - digits added

\_/ \_/ \_/ \_/ \_________/

2 1 2 6 3 - digits added

Thus, "arsenal" is 21263.

Turn the number backwards, divide by 11 - the symbol of judgment and disorder. The number is now 3292.

Add 4391 to it - this is the year Shirley Temple starred in her first movie, written backwards - you will get 7683.

Multiply it by 3, the symbol of fulfillment - the number is now 23049.

Subtract 6661 from the number - this is the year of the Great London Fire, written backwards. It gives 16388.

Subtract 1181, the year UFO was first observed in China and Japan. The result will be 15207.

Write 1976 backwards. Translate it to octal - this will give you 15207. Thus, 15207 stands for 1976, the year George Harrison performed the lumberjack song with Monty Python - if you have seen it, you should understand.

Regulating nationalities of players in a team is as complicated and controversial as regulating nationalities of people in a country. People just have to understand that its not just about saying "hey you're not allowed to play cos you're foreign" many factors come into this such as political, ethical, racial. At the moment Arsenal's players ARE homegrown and therefore adhering to the rules.

I don't want to get into the English players debate because I know nothing about it however I will point out that statistically speaking correlation does not imply causation.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MSCCG:

At the moment Arsenal's players ARE homegrown and therefore adhering to the rules. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well no they are not homegrown..............arsenal exploit a loophole in the rules which lets kids move for a compensation fee, (usually decided by a tribunal), at the age of 15/16 if they haven't already signed forms with their current club.

Francesc Fabrgas joined Barcelona as a 9 year old and was trained by them for 6-7 years, and had yet to agree to sign forms with Barcelona. He therefore was able to leave Barcelona for agreed compensation between the 2 clubs, or a fee that a tribunal would decide upon. Before this case went to a tribunal Arsenal handed over Giovanni van Bronckhorst to Barcelona as compensation, and Fabregas was then their player. Within a year had made his debut for the Gunners.

Please explain to me how this is one of Arsenals so-called "homegrown players."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomtuck01:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MSCCG:

At the moment Arsenal's players ARE homegrown and therefore adhering to the rules. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well no they are not homegrown..............arsenal exploit a loophole in the rules which lets kids move for a compensation fee, (usually decided by a tribunal), at the age of 15/16 if they haven't already signed forms with their current club.

Francesc Fabrgas joined Barcelona as a 9 year old and was trained by them for 6-7 years, and had yet to agree to sign forms with Barcelona. He therefore was able to leave Barcelona for agreed compensation between the 2 clubs, or a fee that a tribunal would decide upon. Before this case went to a tribunal Arsenal handed over Giovanni van Bronckhorst to Barcelona as compensation, and Fabregas was then their player. Within a year had made his debut for the Gunners.

Please explain to me how this is one of Arsenals so-called "homegrown players." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly the same as in the game and as the rules clearly state, I can't see how this is a loophole.

Definition:

A home trained player is either club trained or association trained.

CLUB TRAINED: A player trained at that club for 3 years between the

ages of 15 and 21.

ASSOCIATION TRAINED: A player trained at a club in the same

association for 3 years between the ages of 15 and 21.

How the player was obtained by the club is irrelevant and your own opinion of what is homegrown and what is not is also irrelevant in front of concrete fact.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Patrick-Scott Ervinseuf:

A R S E N A L

2 1 2 6 3 - digits added

Turn the number backwards, divide by 11 - the symbol of judgment and disorder. The number is now 3292.

Add 4391 to it - this is the year Shirley Temple starred in her first movie, written backwards - you will get 7683.

Subtract 6661 from the number - this is the year of the Great London Fire, written backwards. It gives 16388.

Subtract 1181, the year UFO was first observed in China and Japan. The result will be 15207.

Write 1976 backwards. Translate it to octal - this will give you 15207. Thus, 15207 stands for 1976, the year George Harrison performed the lumberjack song with Monty Python - if you have seen it, you should understand. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by james_33:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Patrick-Scott Ervinseuf:

A R S E N A L

2 1 2 6 3 - digits added

Write 1976 backwards. Translate it to octal - this will give you 15207. Thus, 15207 stands for 1976, the year George Harrison performed the lumberjack song with Monty Python - if you have seen it, you should understand. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats actually exactly what I was thinking when I read that. I mean wtf?

A R S E N A L

2 1 2 6 3 - digits added

Is that you Starr_Man?

Disappointed about what happened to you mate but you may have over-reacted a little? Ah well, what's done is done.

the rules need to be changed, stealing a player with the promises of being a premiership star player and as many alcopopped youngs you ca nhandle is worng, ok fabregras was taken from barca which wont hurt them that much, but what about when that player is due to become a star player for his team in the future.

and we need a rule to make sure english players are in english teams, about 6 enlish players in the semi fnal when 3 quarters of the teasm are english. even championship clubs are getting a lot of foriegn players now.

A R S E N A L

2 1 2 6 3 - digits added

Too much spare time?

Or killing time until the missus gets home?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFC49:

good english young player 10m+

good foriegn young player 500k

thats why there are not many young english players at arsenal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dont blame teams for it

if a can of coke is 1.00 in a shop and 30p in a supermarket, you dont by it from the shop for the sake of the state of local owned busnisesses do we.

there just needs to be a rule that makes them have english players, if they dont have the money to buy them, then get them from the local area, doest cost a team 10 million to sign up a oyung lad from the sunday leagues whos showing hes got what it takes.

the fa have got alot to answer for aswell as they do not do enough for grass roots football,ie a 12 year old foriegner will have twice the technical ability of an english kid.(unless there wayne rooney)once in a blue moon though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFC49:

thats why there are not many young english players at arsenal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

i dont blame teams for it

if a can of coke is 1.00 in a shop and 30p in a supermarket, you dont by it from the shop for the sake of the state of local owned busnisesses do we.

there just needs to be a rule that makes them have english players, if they dont have the money to buy them, then get them from the local area, doest cost a team 10 million to sign up a oyung lad from the sunday leagues whos showing hes got what it takes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent post.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tomtuck01:

Please explain to me how this is one of Arsenals so-called "homegrown players." </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly the same as in the game and as the rules clearly state, I can't see how this is a loophole.

Definition:

A home trained player is either club trained or association trained.

CLUB TRAINED: A player trained at that club for 3 years between the

ages of 15 and 21.

ASSOCIATION TRAINED: A player trained at a club in the same

association for 3 years between the ages of 15 and 21.

How the player was obtained by the club is irrelevant and your own opinion of what is homegrown and what is not is also irrelevant in front of concrete fact. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

But what Im saying is that it's a silly rule!! And yes, being able to sign a player for next to nothing at that age after he has been trained at another club for so long is flaw in the rules, therefore a loophole.

Just because it's "in the game" doesn't make it right............................for me, and im sure many others, Arsenal only have 2 homegrown players in their 1st team squad, those being Theo Walcott and Justin Hoyte. The others are foreigners, not homegrown talent.

Personnally, I don't think english players are overrated at all. Currently we are having to play players in our national team who aren't gettig many games at club level i.e Crouch, Bridge to name a few. People wonder why we didn't qualify for Euro 08 out of a p*ss poor group; lack of match fitness at club level.

Individually, our team is immense but collectively we couldn't beat Bahrain. Gerrard = arguably one of the best midfielders in the World, Terry = arguably one of the best CB's in the World, Rooney = one of the top 10 FWs in the World, Lampard = cracking midfielder, Walcott = one for the future.

An take a look at our unbeaten U21 team. We have an abundance of raw talent, they just need games.

Correction...................

Average English young player 10m+

Great quality young foriegn player 500k

Clubs like Man Utd and Chelsea have destroyed the English game forcing prices of average players prices up and up. A few examples 22m SWP, Carrick 18m. And then buying players that are decent but not exactly world class for stupid amounts when you could get a player much better for much cheaper. Rooney 30m, when Torres a few years later went for a measly 26m in comparison. Ferdinand 33m, when in the same season Nesta went from Lazio to Milan for around 20m.

Just shows how overrated English players are.

Personnally, I don't think english players are overrated at all. Currently we are having to play players in our national team who aren't gettig many games at club level i.e Crouch, Bridge to name a few. People wonder why we didn't qualify for Euro 08 out of a p*ss poor group; lack of match fitness at club level.

Individually, our team is immense but collectively we couldn't beat Bahrain. Gerrard = arguably one of the best midfielders in the World, Terry = arguably one of the best CB's in the World, Rooney = one of the top 10 FWs in the World, Lampard = cracking midfielder, Walcott = one for the future.

An take a look at our unbeaten U21 team. We have an abundance of raw talent, they just need games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

you didn't qualify out of that poor gruop becouse you lost to us 2x, Russia... you shouldn't beat even Macedonia in Manchester. which english 1st team player lacks match fitness? they are overrated, a lot. all except Gerrard, Crouch and maybe Terry.

Pfft! Who needs fairness! As a follower of Fiorentina and PSV Eindhoven for many years I was delighted by those penalty shootouts although I had wanted Everton to go all the way to the final, just not at the expense of Fiorentina.

My point was mostly tongue in cheek though. I would have to take issue on "all 3 teams" though. Had Bolton fielded a proper team they may well have gone through, but not with the team they put out.

To keep on an FM theme, English teams have been pleasantly quiet in my Bremen/Fiorentina game - maybe not having the English league active does that, although Barcelona and Real Madrid are very strong. Real Madrid tanked Bremen last season, Barcelona likewise this season.

On a positive note, Barcelona 5-0 Manchester United in the Champions League semi-final last night in my game caused me to raise an eyebrow and have a slight chuckle...too much to hope it's an omen for real life though!

Gerrard = arguably one of the best midfielders in the World, Terry = arguably one of the best CB's in the World, Rooney = one of the top 10 FWs in the World, Lampard = cracking midfielder, Walcott = one for the future.

An take a look at our unbeaten U21 team. We have an abundance of raw talent, they just need games. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must disagree with alot of what you have said, fair enough Steven Gerrard is one of the best midfielders in the world, when he plays for Liverpool, but for England he borders on useless.

John Terry is not one of the best central defenders in the world. As daft as it sounds, he makes too many tackles to be one of the best. a good defender shouldn't have to make tackles as they should be able to read the game an intercept play before they have to throw themselves into reckless challenges. Look at Ivan Cordoba at Internazionale, you dont see him throwing himself to ground to make tackles as he stops play before it comes to that. If you look closer to home both Rio Ferdinand and Johnathan Woodgate are te same, both of which are better than John Terry.

Despite being a Manchester United supporter I would also disagree about Wayne Rooney being one of the top 10 forwards in the world, I cpould say simply because he is not an out and out front players, but his finishing isn't the greatest either. Of course you dont necessarily to score loads to be an influential front player, but with the chances he gets he should be hitting the back of the net much more than he does.

Frank Lamaprd coasts through games doing very little. If he didn't play at Chelsea he wouldn't get the recognition he does. One things for sure, he doesn't deserve all the praise he gets.

Theo Walcott has cracking potential, enough said.

As for our under 21 team, there is some talent, but not "an abundance." I think the fact that more and more of the under 21 squad are playing in the Championship and not the Premiership kind of tells it's only story.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Midge:

Clubs like Man Utd and Chelsea have destroyed the English game forcing prices of average players prices up and up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Surely thats the fault of the selling club and not he buying club? icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Midge:

A few examples 22m SWP, Carrick 18m. And then buying players that are decent but not exactly world class for stupid amounts when you could get a player much better for much cheaper. Rooney 30m, when Torres a few years later went for a measly 26m in comparison. Ferdinand 33m, when in the same season Nesta went from Lazio to Milan for around 20m.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please get your prices right before you make comments.

Shaun Wright Phillips - £21million

Michael Carrick - £14million, rising to £18.6million depending on future player and club success.

Wayne Rooney - £23million, rising to a maximum of £29.066m depending on future play and club/international success.

Rio Ferdinand - £30.72million

As for Alessandro Nesta moving for as little as that, I could be wrong here, but could it not be that he left for as little as that because of the state of Lazio's finances back then?? Just a thought..................

And the Fernando Torres deal was financially worth £26million, but that was only because Luis Garciia went to Atletico Madrid in the same deal. Had Garcia not gone to Atletico, I think you would have seen the fee top the £30million mark.

A few examples 22m SWP, Carrick 18m. And then buying players that are decent but not exactly world class for stupid amounts when you could get a player much better for much cheaper. Rooney 30m, when Torres a few years later went for a measly 26m in comparison. Ferdinand 33m, when in the same season Nesta went from Lazio to Milan for around 20m.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please get your prices right before you make comments.

Shaun Wright Phillips - £21million

Michael Carrick - £14million, rising to £18.6million depending on future player and club success.

Wayne Rooney - £23million, rising to a maximum of £29.066m depending on future play and club/international success.

Rio Ferdinand - £30.72million

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are arguing over pennies? Plus you are wrong with ferdinand, 30.72m went to leeds but Man Utd also have to pay the agents fee's meaning 33m.

Nesta, yes maybe he may have sold for much more but the point is he did not. The point still remains Man Utd could have bought Nesta for much less than Ferdinand.

The Torres and Garcia deal were seperate deals so no argument there really is there.

SWP 21m or 22m niether here nor there. Either way its a complete over estimate for a very very average player.

Carrick, still well overrated and overpriced even if his fee does not rise to the max 18m.

But unlike you I dont go sifting through every transfer deal on the club websites or wikipedia. Im not too bothered over 1m in a world where 1m has as much relevence

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">out of a p*ss poor group </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

English footie at its most telling, I'm afraid.

Archived