apple and FM

No, I don't want to start a mac is better then windows thread, but I was dreaming of an exotic future, it'll never happen I know, but my all time xxx rated dream is fm on the IPad (jeez I wish they didn't choose that name). Think about it, a fast processor, beautiful screen, using the touch screen to move players around to your tactical desires, gesticulating wildly at the referee and accidently closing the game down, listening to the superb 3d sound that SI is working their butts off to develop (I hope :D) and all whilst lying down on the couch. My idea of heaven.

I actually wanted to know about the future of fm on mac, but I doubt whether I'd get an answer. Its most probably a carbon program at the moment because I can feel the processor slowing down when its been running for a while, unlike when I'm photo editing etc, but I'm pretty confident that carbon will progressively be replaced by cocoa programs as time goes on (as has been happening). Will FM join the cocoa brigade in the future (I'm obviously presuming it isn't already)? Of course market forces will decide, but I'll go to sleep tonight thinking of FM on the Ipad whilst my wife gently snores beside me :p)

Cheers

Bruce

No, I don't want to start a mac is better then windows thread, but I was dreaming of an exotic future, it'll never happen I know, but my all time xxx rated dream is fm on the IPad (jeez I wish they didn't choose that name). Think about it, a fast processor, beautiful screen, using the touch screen to move players around to your tactical desires, gesticulating wildly at the referee and accidently closing the game down, listening to the superb 3d sound that SI is working their butts off to develop (I hope :D) and all whilst lying down on the couch. My idea of heaven.

I actually wanted to know about the future of fm on mac, but I doubt whether I'd get an answer. Its most probably a carbon program at the moment because I can feel the processor slowing down when its been running for a while, unlike when I'm photo editing etc, but I'm pretty confident that carbon will progressively be replaced by cocoa programs as time goes on (as has been happening). Will FM join the cocoa brigade in the future (I'm obviously presuming it isn't already)? Of course market forces will decide, but I'll go to sleep tonight thinking of FM on the Ipad whilst my wife gently snores beside me :p)

Cheers

Bruce

You do know the iPad is running the iPhone OS and can only run iPhone Apps.

I'm pretty sure he means in the (hopefully near) future. The iPad is just a first generation from Apple, within the next 2 years I can guarantee the iPad will be running the same spec as the Mac i am currently using and will run FM perfectly. Unfortunately I doubt they will specifically design it for the iPad, I'm hoping it will be able to be played on that system though because that would be just BRILLIANT

that I do, but did you see the speed of the thing? I know, a simple thing of flicking the page in the ebook reader, but it surprised me how fast it was. I obviously don't know the specs of the new processor, noone does, but it looked very fast. A redesigned fm app, for the pad, I reckon (in my wildest fantasies) would be a killer. Stable, fast, obviously slimmed down, but I don't really need the 3rd division tunisian players. The only thing that would stop it is the amount of time that would be needed to develop it, and with FM 2010 (don't like to admit it, but I reckon the best I've played and I started with 97/98) doing so well SI probably don't need to change a winning formula. But I can dream :)

Yeh the Processor is only a 1ghz, never fast enough. And apple will only allow apple apps on the devices.
Probably fast enough with a slimmed down version, certainly fast enough for the 3d. Apple will only allow apple approved apps. Which keeps the stability (and icons they don't like - I'm not an apple does nothing wrong fella). And by 3rd/4th/5th version, it'd probably be 8ghz and above, going by the tech doubling rule.

Probably fast enough with a slimmed down version, certainly fast enough for the 3d. Apple will only allow apple approved apps. Which keeps the stability (and icons they don't like - I'm not an apple does nothing wrong fella). And by 3rd/4th/5th version, it'd probably be 8ghz and above, going by the tech doubling rule.

First off, was the processor doubling rule not touted to stop soon? Secondly, a pc with two ghz can struggle to play the 3D. There are many other variables that need to be considered too.

You clearly arent up to scratch on computers. So stop speculating.

First off, was the processor doubling rule not touted to stop soon? Secondly, a pc with two ghz can struggle to play the 3D. There are many other variables that need to be considered too.

You clearly arent up to scratch on computers. So stop speculating.

Lol, and here I was trying to be nice, and I will endeavour to remain so :D

Honestly, with the technology appearing every single minute of every single day, is anyone up to scratch? I love listening to TWIT, because here are these guys, leaders in there fields, and somebody tweets them about some obscure tech development and there blown away. Do you listen to it? it happens every time, its funny.

Its not the processor doubling rule, its the tech doubling rule. (I don't believe its a rule, its just a way for people to comprehend it) Think about, your running a megapowerful machine and operating system, and you've got a game on top of it. I love FM, but its not exactly taxing a system like gis does. Redesigned, it'll be lightening quick. Play a game on the xbox, then play the same game on the pc, which runs it better? But which has the more powerful processor?

OK, apologies for seeming blunt in my previous post - but my point still stands. The ipad will not advance as quickly or as technologically superiorly as you suggested. You only have to use the iphone as an example - 3 releases, not a great deal of change.

OK, apologies for seeming blunt in my previous post - but my point still stands. The ipad will not advance as quickly or as technologically superiorly as you suggested. You only have to use the iphone as an example - 3 releases, not a great deal of change.

No apology necessary it made me laugh, and after a day mapping the fire history of the national park I work in I need all the humour I can get. I was talking about the iphone with a friend of mine the other day, basically we agreed that apple never changes a winning format. But, I believe that this thing could be different, because its a different device with different needs of users. If its picked up as a productivity device, users will demand the performance. Its got the iphone os interface, buts thats just an interface. I don't know, I run filemaker on the computer at home, change it to a bento database, import it to the phone, and it runs well, different scenario I know, no 3d etc, but the actual data it sorts through well.

I apologise profusely for the speculation, I'm no tech wizard never pretended to be, but I have a decent education, and am proficient in technology BUT your right it'll never be on the ipad, but I believe not for the graphics or processor issues (programming specifically for the platform would sort that out) but the more simple one, that is that SI has no reason to develop for the ipad when there selling absolutely bucket loads of FM on existing platforms.

Archived