No QF Champions League draw?

I finished my two legs of the First Knockout Round on the first Tuesday, so only two ties had been played. Mine, and Chelsea v Copenhagen. On Wednesday, Arsenal played AC Milan and Juventus played CSKA Moscow, the former in each three going through.

firstknockoutcl.png

Then on the Thursday i get a message saying 'Liverpool draw Arsenal in Champions League'. Which is weird, because the draws are always on Friday. Then i look on the Champions League page and Chelsea have drawn Juventus. The others are X Team or Y Team vs A Team or B Team because only half of the games have been played.

quarterfinalcl.png

Clearly the quarter-final ties were already determined: the winner of the Liverpool v Inter match would play the winner of the AC Milan v Arsenal match. Why is this? I know in game my next tie on Mar 12, before other teams even know whether they are in the next round. This doesn't happen in real life and won't happen this season. The draw for the Quarter Finals is on Mar 19 when everybody has finished playing. In game, there isn't even a draw. :confused:

I now wonder whether there will be a Semi-Finals draw or not.

Any ideas?

• 3 weeks later...
It's been this way on every single FM ever hasn't it?

there's only one draw, and from there you know who your next opponent will be

Yeah, that's how I've always seen it anyway. It's kinda handy in a way as it let's you see who you've got next, but I suppose I argree with the OP in saying that it would maybe add a bit more excitment to the game if it was randomly generated every time a draw was drafted.

I posted about this a while ago. You already know who you're playing in every round to the final from the draw for the second round onwards, whereas in real-life now, no-one knows who they're playing in the quarter/semi-finals yet, as the draws aren't made till all 2nd round matches are complete.

You don't even get to see the QF or SF draws in FM, it's just whoever you're 'next to' in the 2nd round draw. In the OP's pic for example, we all know his QF is against Arsenal or AC, semi against Rubin, Man Utd, Lyon or Real, and then anyone from the bottom half in the final. This takes a lot of excitement out of it, and is obviously wrong and unrealistic. The QF and SF draws should be totally seperate. This error has been in for a few FM's now, I wonder if it's been fixed for the new patch? Anyone know? If not then hopefully it will be for next years game.

I posted about this a while ago. You already know who you're playing in every round to the final from the draw for the second round onwards, whereas in real-life now, no-one knows who they're playing in the quarter/semi-finals yet, as the draws aren't made till all 2nd round matches are complete.

You don't even get to see the QF or SF draws in FM, it's just whoever you're 'next to' in the 2nd round draw. In the OP's pic for example, we all know his QF is against Arsenal or AC, semi against Rubin, Man Utd, Lyon or Real, and then anyone from the bottom half in the final. This takes a lot of excitement out of it, and is obviously wrong and unrealistic. The QF and SF draws should be totally seperate. This error has been in for a few FM's now, I wonder if it's been fixed for the new patch? Anyone know? If not then hopefully it will be for next years game.

I don't have a picture to disprove this, but will inevitably get one this season. I saw another post about this, possibly yours, and have been looking into it and this scenario doesn't happen to me. I don't see a QF or SF draw but its not handily mapped out for me as you say. I can't be the only one surely?

It's been fixed in the new patch! Just finished the Champions League 2nd round matches in a new save on 10.3, and the Quarter-Final now has it's own seperate draw at last :-) Really adds a touch of realism.

Nice one SI.

Although, the semi-final draw wasn't straight after like it should have been, but still, it's a step in the right direction.

Archived