Montserrat National Team

Is there any possible way that I would be able to play as the Montserrat National Team...? This would be the best challenge to get the equal lowest ranked country in the world up the rankings... icon_razz.gif So anyone know if this team is able to be playable?

Easy to try, when you set up a new game load the French leagues, make sure you check the add all players from Montserrat thingy, and start the game. If you can't select the team then you probably won't be able to. If you go on holiday you might be able to apply there later on when and if they have more players, but I'm really not sure of that.

Monserrat - whose most famous footballing son is Titus Bramble! icon_eek.gif

Start by loading up 'retain all players' from Monserrat and load up the game. If enough players are in the database you can choose to manage them. Not having done that myself I can't be sure there will be enough - if not, you'll need to use the pre-game editor to create a few, then load up a new game.

Montserrat is one of the few British Colonies left (now called British Overseas territories) and is actually named after a mountain in Spain.

So why would turning all the French leagues help?

And I am goin to go out on a limb here and say Montserrat will have about 2 players in the database both the Bramble brothers.

Yeah that could be the problem... Only 5 players from their national team is actually loaded. But I guess that's a pretty good effort for a country with a population of 8,000...

As I find it too hard to use the editor (slow computer, and lack of knowledge) I guess my dream of managing the worst football nation into a powerhouse is gone. icon_razz.gif

you CAN manage however....

Montenegro - 204th

Martinique, Guadeloupe, Reunion Islands are also available to manage and they're all world ranked as N/A!

Surely one of those should be challenge enough?

Or you can take it easy on yourself and go for mighty San Marino - ranked 191st, with only a 4500 seater stadium, the board are....

'convinced of San Marino's potential as a footballing nation and want you to nurture the country's young talent to fulfil this promise.'

Thinking about it, I might do that one myself!!

Ahaha bdgr... You read my mind. I am playing as San Marino as we speak. I just decided to go with the smallest club in Europe. Trying to make them into a powerhouse. Thanks a lot for all the help and advice in this thread.

Originally posted by bdgr:

you CAN manage however....

Martinique, Guadeloupe, Reunion Islands are also available to manage and they're all world ranked as N/A!

Don't! N/A means not affiliated to FIFA, so they can only play friendlies and not enter any competitions - doesn't get duller than that!

There's a San Marino 'double' challenge in the challenges forum. I think it's possible to improve the quality of players coming through over time if you also manage the club team.

Coincidently I read an article on Montserrat the other day - the island itself is a volcano, which erupted a few years back. Half the population was evacuated to Britain and are still there, reducing it to about 6,000. Of their players, only two play semi-pro in the English non-leagues. They can't play internationals in Monserrat as there's no FIFA approved stadium (probably none at all).

Overall then, the chances of being able to manage them look slim.

Strangely enough after seeing this thread I checked the Montserrat team on my save. In 2021 they have a full squad with most of them plying their trade in the english, and scottish lower leagues. Most of them were born in Britain as well.

They had climbed a fair bit in the rankings as well upto about 180th.

Originally posted by tucothetyke:

Strangely enough after seeing this thread I checked the Montserrat team on my save. In 2021 they have a full squad with most of them plying their trade in the english, and scottish lower leagues. Most of them were born in Britain as well.

They had climbed a fair bit in the rankings as well upto about 180th.

IIRC there were one or two threads a while back noting that a high number of regens have Monserrat/a UK dual nationality. Some weird dumping system going on? It does at least make managing the lump of rock viable after a few years.

Originally posted by tucothetyke:

Montserrat is one of the few British Colonies left (now called British Overseas territories) and is actually named after a mountain in Spain.

And I am goin to go out on a limb here and say Montserrat will have about 2 players in the database both the Bramble brothers.

Because I didn't look it up and thought the French colonised it, okay? I'm not English I don't know these things.

The fact they have Montserrat/British nationality isn't a bug as such as that is what they would receive from Birth IRL. They changed the law in 2002 to make people born in British Overseas Territories British citizens again. The fact they receive huge amounts of regens in relation to the relative size of the population is I think!

They can't play internationals in Monserrat as there's no FIFA approved stadium (probably none at all).

I thought FIFA built a stadium near the Montserrat Airport? And if they are sponsoring the ground, then I guess it may be up to FIFA standards?

It's called Blake Estate Stadium and it holds around 4,000 people. Although the country is currently experiencing volcanic activity. So no matches are able to be played there at the moment.

So the only reason that they wouldn't be able to be managed is the lack of researched players in the National Team (I don't blame anyone) It would be extremely hard to research the Montserrat National Team's players. As most of them play in English lower leagues, with some playing on Ideal FC and Police FC the two teams of the island.

On my game in 2016 Montserrat are manageable due to the unrealistic amount of regens they've got. Quite fancy the job myself as a challenge, and because they've got 2 very good players.

Originally posted by postman123:

they still need a lot of work and you have to hope some better player come through would you not agree

Definitely, but I feel if I was Montserrat manager the chances of getting good regens is higher than at New Zealand where I'm currently managing on my save game. I also know from taking New Zealand to the World Cup final on FM2006 its possible to build a nation up into a major force on FM, even if it would take 15-20 years atleast.

Is it possible for a nation to become great on the success of a club, because I was hoping that if my Diagoras side won a few European competitions then would it make the Greece team better?

New Zealand to the World Cup final on FM2006 its possible to build a nation up into a major force on FM, even if it would take 15-20 years atleast.

Damn me and my rubbish mouse skills.

its still awesome you acheived that, have been looking at the NZ side of late and they are even worse on my save game than they are IRL, which says something!!!

tucothetyke, thanks for the compliments. I'd probably say that, along with my Hammerfest CL winning save was my greatest save game, even though I didn't manage a club team, and ultimately lost the World Cup final.

I swear I remember someone winning the World Cup with San Marino on here though. It took about 25 years I think, but I believe its been done.

I can see it being harder on FM2008 though.

you need about ca 40-50 players min before a national team is managable. Select uk leagues and maybe us leagues as that is where they usually play along with montserrant players.

They get a lot of regens through usually about 20th sep (but not in first season), holiday for 4-5 seasons(maybe longer) and select a new user and they should appear as playable, i've seen them before.

• 4 weeks later...

''On June 30, 2002, the day of the final match of the 2002 World Cup, Montserrat, then the lowest ranked team in the world, played against the second worst team Bhutan in a friendly match known jokingly as The Other Final, losing 4-0.''

omfg... hopeless...

I now want to play the Montserrat National Football League teams including:

Police Town

Ideal Boys SC

The Volcano Observers FC

Secondary School United

AFC Seventh Day Adventists

Combined Team City

I wonder if any of these teams can qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League or the CFU Club Championship??

I now want to play the Montserrat National Football League teams including:

Police Town

Ideal Boys SC

The Volcano Observers FC

Secondary School United

AFC Seventh Day Adventists

Combined Team City

I wonder if any of these teams can qualify for the CONCACAF Champions League or the CFU Club Championship??

I remember reading in the FIFA Soccer Almanac that the league in Montserrat hasn't been played since 2004/5 because a lot of those teams folded with only Ideal Boys SC the only team existing!

Ideal SC did make the earlier rounds of the CONCACAF Champions League in 2005, but were hammered 30-1 on aggregate by Harbour View of Jamaica.

This is why you never trust Wikipedia...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Mendes

He is about to sign for League 1 club Leeds United to partner Jermaine Beckford upfront, it is believed that his unique predatory instincts are what brought Gary McAllister's attention to him.

His wife was delighted to hear the great news, not only because of the extra income from the League 1 giants but also the air conditioning price she had received earlier that night was alot lower than she was expecting. Also it is believed that he signed a contract stating he isn't going to grow a beard while playing for The Mighty Whites.

Real Madrid are also looking to sign Mendes and snatch him from the noses of Leeds United Gary Mcallister.

• 2 years later...
''On June 30, 2002, the day of the final match of the 2002 World Cup, Montserrat, then the lowest ranked team in the world, played against the second worst team Bhutan in a friendly match known jokingly as The Other Final, losing 4-0.''

omfg... hopeless...

i watched a documentary on that match and i swear it was only 3-0

There's a San Marino 'double' challenge in the challenges forum. I think it's possible to improve the quality of players coming through over time if you also manage the club team.

Coincidently I read an article on Montserrat the other day - the island itself is a volcano, which erupted a few years back. Half the population was evacuated to Britain and are still there, reducing it to about 6,000. Of their players, only two play semi-pro in the English non-leagues. They can't play internationals in Monserrat as there's no FIFA approved stadium (probably none at all).

i dont think its running this year, wouldnt be worth it as the files etc are not uploaded.

Im currently doing the Lichtenstein challenge, you need to win the CL with vaduz and the WC with Lichtenstein, same concept :p

Junior Mendes as well.

Archived