Squad Discipline

In my current FM10 game, I've just created havoc in my squad by fining a player two weeks' wages for picking up his third red card of season.

Most of my first team squad have announced that they're unhappy at the unfair treatment of a team-mate.

What I'd like to see is an option where at the start of the season, you can outline your disciplinary procedure.

So that you could say the following for example:

First red card: Warning

Second red card: Fine one week's wages

Third red card: Fined two weeks' wages

Three plus: Fined two more weeks' wages

Missing training without permission: Fined two weeks' wages

This would mean that there would be no surprises and no cause for complaint when getting fined for bad behaviour.

You can't fine a player 2 weeks wages just for a red card. Especially if it's two yellow cards that has them sent off.

I only fine two weeks wages for

Missing Training

Violent Conduct

Other than that only warnings are issued. That usually keeps the squad in order

You can't fine a player 2 weeks wages just for a red card. Especially if it's two yellow cards that has them sent off.

Missing Training

Violent Conduct

My squad, my rules!

I think if a player is persistently being suspended for red cards, I'm perfectly entitled to fine him for it!

Missing Training

Violent Conduct

He can do what he likes with his squad, as we all can!

I'd also like the option to set my disciplinary rules, mine would differ slightly from the OP, but I definitely think we should have the option. Its realistic, all clubs have code of conduct so why can't we set ours.

Saying that does any club dock players wages for being shown a red card?

I wouldn't have thought that every one was punished this way but there must be circumstances where they are. After all the FA can fine clubs for failing to control their players in a match or for a seasons poor disciplinary record, so I'd be surprised if they didn't get some of this cash back from the players

Saying that does any club dock players wages for being shown a red card?

I've heard players and managers in the past state that their clubs have fines in place for bookings, never mind sendings off!

Dick Campbell, the Partick Thistle manager, fined his son (a player at the club) £50 for a booking. But the player's mum gave him the cash to pay the fine. So Dick had effectively fined himself!

He can do what he likes with his squad, as we all can!

I'd also like the option to set my disciplinary rules, mine would differ slightly from the OP, but I definitely think we should have the option. Its realistic, all clubs have code of conduct so why can't we set ours.

surely he can; but then again he needs to accept the consequences for it - such his squad getting upset.

I've heard players and managers in the past state that their clubs have fines in place for bookings, never mind sendings off!

Dick Campbell, the Partick Thistle manager, fined his son (a player at the club) £50 for a booking. But the player's mum gave him the cash to pay the fine. So Dick had effectively fined himself!

Maybe he was looking for a new player but was £50 short of his value so he used this cunning plan to get his man.

But other players in the game don't get punished like this.

And thus they feel treated unfairly.

Having harsh rules is bad for morale, full stop.

Ever think that it might be bad refereeing? Appeal the Ban?

I go like this

Yellow and Red - Warning

Straight Red - 1 Weeks Wages

Violent Conduct - 2 Weeks Wages

Harsh Reds - Appeal (never won?)

But upsetting the team and using harsh rules isn't going to benefit you.

It's not your club, you're the manager, the board runs the club, you're expendable. If the club is doing badly and morale is low you're to blame.

I'm all for having Disciplinary rules for the club, but you have to be realistic.

I do agree to a degree that you should be able to fine players for multiple Red Cards.

But I find that as soon as a player is red carded for violent conduct and a 2 week fine is issued it usually doesn't happen again.

But you're a team. And teams stick together, if they don't they split together.

Chin up and apply the punishment fairly.

The fact that the players are getting upset isn't really the point though (or shouldn't be, though it is in the OP). The point should be that he's the manager and he should be able to set the club up how he wants. I would imagine most clubs have a disciplinary procedure in place, people have already cited examples of this in this very thread. Setting up this procedure wouldn't stop players getting upset about it, but it would introduce a little bit of common sense and allow us to run the club how we want to.

I'd like to have an automatic fine for yellow cards because of dissent, because its a needless yellow card to get. And not a one-week fine either, because that is just ridiculous, but at present we have no smaller option. If I did that now, every single player would be guaranteed to get upset, just because the game isn't programmed that way, but it already happens at some clubs now and the players respect that.

Well the player might have point to make, then get a yellow card for dissent.

I don't know. You never hear of players being fined unless it's for very serious conduct issues.

You should be able to set the club with as you want. But if you're being harsh the players won't like it.

I know that in my current job, if I was fined for something I'd be up to the Union in no time. So should the Footballers Union get involved when you fine players unfairly?

The whole idea of fining players is to discourage them from doing it again. Not to upset or to put you as the Alpha Male in the dressing room.

Once you discipline a player correctly they are less likely to make the mistake again. This gives the player an opportunity to adjust their methods.

If you just give someone a fine for Red card for violent conduct, fine, but the next game they get a yellow and another yellow (red) then you don't really have a cause to fine them again. That's a warning, not a fine.

A straight red is a fine for 1wk. And violent conduct for 2wks.

But it's all about controlling how the player conducts themselves. Not on exerting your authority.

Archived