Poll: Who actually uses the 2D match screen?

How often do you use the 2D match screen?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you use the 2D match screen?

• Never
    • Sometimes
    • Every match

Its lame.... I never understood any of these screens on CM/FM.

To me the joy of CM was that the players ability and tactics drove the AI, I hoped, not relying on the fact the AI got the players control and movement right.

I have done AI on Lots and lots of Games. The difference between AI working right, and then having to LOOK like its working right is huge.

CM's feature was players felt immersed in the commentary, they believed it, wasn't that always the point on CM ? the commentary, the feel of the game ?

I never understood, given the history or sales of CM, why the need for the 2d screen and then 3d ever came into play. Its awful.. it really is. Its like they made the best football game ever.. then... decided to compete with the worst of the football games ever!

If I could have 1 or 2 game features more and ditch the 2d display I would, heck I would ditch it for less features!

John.

Its lame.... I never understood any of these screens on CM/FM.

To me the joy of CM was that the players ability and tactics drove the AI, I hoped, not relying on the fact the AI got the players control and movement right.

I have done AI on Lots and lots of Games. The difference between AI working right, and then having to LOOK like its working right is huge.

CM's feature was players felt immersed in the commentary, they believed it, wasn't that always the point on CM ? the commentary, the feel of the game ?

I never understood, given the history or sales of CM, why the need for the 2d screen and then 3d ever came into play. Its awful.. it really is. Its like they made the best football game ever.. then... decided to compete with the worst of the football games ever!

If I could have 1 or 2 game features more and ditch the 2d display I would, heck I would ditch it for less features!

John.

Great post. Totally agree with everything you said mate.

I never use it, it just seems to lack any realism and adds very little to the game in my opinion. For example I have never seen a goal scored with the ball moving towards either corner, it always seems to go straight down the middle. As I have said before though its more than likely due to the fact the PSP hasn't got the capabilities to do much better without requiring the exclusion of more features.

I can't see it being removed after it has been developed by SI though, but for people that do use it it certainly adds more to the game for them.

Use it every game i play :D

Some people lie it some people don't but the people who don't use it shouldn't moan and try and get it took out :cool:

Not that this is a thread moaning about it but i have seen people post like that :)

Exactly, I personally don't use it and if the game was tailored for me then I would sacrifice it for different features such as a bigger player database and additional leagues, but its not unfortunatley :(

But if players do use it and enjoy it then it should be kept in!

I never use it - I prefer the text - however this does get a bit dull because of the same background all the time (i.e No stadium pics - but I know there's nothing that can be done about that). I would much prefer a 3d match view - even something fairly basic like a 'Sensible Soccer' style of graphics.

I do wonder though about these alleged memory issues with PSP, which apparantly prevent certain features from being added to the game....... I have recently started to play Championship Manager 2007 again on the PSP - and whilst I agree that FMH is far superior in terms of the user interface and finding your way round screens - you can't deny that CM07 had a hell of a lot of detail in there - 3d match view, reserve/youth teams, ability to hire staff, playable leagues down to conference north/south etc etc... if it was possible to put all that detail into a game 3 years ago, surely it must be possible to do this with FMH now?!!

Not having a dig at the makers of FMH by the way - its great - but just want to see the game get better and better

I never use it - I prefer the text - however this does get a bit dull because of the same background all the time (i.e No stadium pics - but I know there's nothing that can be done about that). I would much prefer a 3d match view - even something fairly basic like a 'Sensible Soccer' style of graphics.

I do wonder though about these alleged memory issues with PSP, which apparantly prevent certain features from being added to the game....... I have recently started to play Championship Manager 2007 again on the PSP - and whilst I agree that FMH is far superior in terms of the user interface and finding your way round screens - you can't deny that CM07 had a hell of a lot of detail in there - 3d match view, reserve/youth teams, ability to hire staff, playable leagues down to conference north/south etc etc... if it was possible to put all that detail into a game 3 years ago, surely it must be possible to do this with FMH now?!!

Not having a dig at the makers of FMH by the way - its great - but just want to see the game get better and better

This is a very good post and I have been wondering the same thing mysself. Surprised no one has brought this up before.

I remember playing championship manager and the detail compared to FMH was unbelievable. It was almost like playing a pc version. Unfortunately there were some issues with the game and match engine which prevented me playing the game properly, but I hoped they would release newer versions.

Was just hoping someone could shed some light on how the psp was able to handle such a detailed game like CM, especially when even the newest FMH is so basic in comparision?

You're comparing FMH with CM (PSP)? Really?

You know why CM stopped making the game on PSP? As it didn't sell.

I'm not comparing them. I'm just saying that even though I never played more than a few games on CM as certain issues made the game unplayable, it was still very detailed compared to FMH. In fact, it was very reminiscent of the PC versions.

So I was just asking the question of how they could manage to get it so detailed such as having the reserve/youth teams, etc? Surely if they were to incorporate all this detail into FMH and get rid of the flaws which are inherent in CM games, then it would lead to a very polished handheld manager game.

It may be detailed but the sacrafice was that it was unplayable and because of this no one brought it.

That very well may be true. But I honestly think that the main issue with it (match engine/scores) is something that could have been fixed. The match engine was actually better than the FMH one but if i remember correctly there were issues regarding when goals were scored. Something along the lines of it showing goals after you knew they were scored so it sucked the fun out of it big time.

Anyway I dont want to get into a debate of which one is better, because clearly FMH was/is. But I do wonder whether more could be added to it as it is quite basic so I find myself playing the PC version.

That very well may be true. But I honestly think that the main issue with it (match engine/scores) is something that could have been fixed. The match engine was actually better than the FMH one but if i remember correctly there were issues regarding when goals were scored. Something along the lines of it showing goals after you knew they were scored so it sucked the fun out of it big time.

Anyway I dont want to get into a debate of which one is better, because clearly FMH was/is. But I do wonder whether more could be added to it as it is quite basic so I find myself playing the PC version.

I agree - FMH is SO much better - but the fact that CM had all that detail suggests that there must be scope for adding that extra level of detail to the current FMH game. Its odd, FMH has details like all previous transfer fees for players held in their history screen (sometimes going back years) - I would happily see this removed if it freed up memory to enable staff to be hired/fired and a reserve team....

• SI Staff
I wonder if SI are watching this thread to see the result

Heh - I keep an eye on most threads about our games as most people are aware; that being said with the 2d I know some people like it (and some don't) - as such because its 'optional' (ie. you're not forced to use it) it'll be sticking around.

We will continue to try and improve and evolve it going forward, but it'll take time to catch up with its big brother on the PC obviously ....

No Marc, please don't aim to be like FM. I would never complete a season then, I for one love the simplicity of the game and would be turned away by the PC version's depth in FMH. I hope I am not the only one who feels this.

I like the 2D anyway, I only have it on basic but it adds that nice touch and when finished to the best of your ability I am sure it will flourish.

Also, I know you do hence why you're on TFW and I (very kindly) awarded you the legend tag :D, I have to say I don't know many game makers who go to the lengths you and the FMH boys do to achieve perfection, you're very good at intregrating with the community and I feel it sets an example which should be followed by others.

Also, I know you do hence why you're on TFW and I (very kindly) awarded you the legend tag :D, I have to say I don't know many game makers who go to the lengths you and the FMH boys do to achieve perfection, you're very good at intregrating with the community and I feel it sets an example which should be followed by others.

I would have to agree the level to which Marc dedicates himself to this game, and issues raised is unreal, and generally unseen in the games industry.

SI have always been like this, but on FMH this seems to have been so much more the case.

This season version is unreal.. its so good, I have reported a few issues, mostly financial... but no bugs.... ive seen.

I so cant wait for next season version.. but ill be playing this version all year.

John.

Heh - I keep an eye on most threads about our games as most people are aware; that being said with the 2d I know some people like it (and some don't) - as such because its 'optional' (ie. you're not forced to use it) it'll be sticking around.

We will continue to try and improve and evolve it going forward, but it'll take time to catch up with its big brother on the PC obviously ....

That's good to hear :D

Archived