Player retirement - reconsider probability?

Anyone else think this is stupid? For years on FM games, EVERY player who says he is to retire at the end of the season, I ask to reconsider his retirement.

It doesn't matter if the player in question is a regular first teamer, a bit part player or very rarely/never used, I ask him to reconsider.

However, I have NEVER had a player say yes! They ALWAYS say no, and retire at the date they had stated.

Has anyone else ever had a player change his decision? And my other question is, if players never change their decision, what is the point in including the option in the game to ask them to?

I’ve personally never had this problem with players, but my staff leave by the hoards every season, and they never reconsider.

i could be wrong but i think back in 2006 game or sumthin, i was chelsea & i cnt rem who it was but im sure some-one agreed to not retire, the only time it has eva worked but i think he was regular & a coach for me at the same time.

i could just be rememberin wrong thou, because i agree usually they always so no.

same goes for international retierments

I had it once. The guy was only 33 though and was retiring cos he wasn't getting first team football and wanted to leave it to the youngsters. Then he hit a patch of form. I asked him to reconsider and got another 2 years out of him. That was on FM08 though iirc.

I had it a few years ago when oliver khan was retiring from munchen and i asked him to reconsider and he did.

He stayed for one more season.

I did try all the time in the following season to talk him round for just one more but he refused.

At least i got him to stay for another year that was good.

I had it in Fm08 with a couple of players. Havent used it in fm09 or fm10 though I didnt like the media comments when this was asked, it was always something about "Manager x desperate for player x to stay on" which was not true. It was simply that I hated the regens (still do) and the players were good names and worked well.

I had in in FM08 with Michael Owen, he was 39 at the time, but agreed to play on till he was 40 (only needed 1 goal to break newcastle goal record, wanted him to stay on). He stated it was due to his relationship with me and love for the club (both in favourites)

once I got Carragher to come out of international retirement, it was epic

That is another, I have never had a player come out of international retirement either. I have tried with Scholes, Carragher, and loads more down the years.

I am glad to hear that some people have actually had players change their decision to retire. I still think SI should make the probability of them doing it more likely though.

I had Carra out of international retirement for SA 2010 and promptly forgot to pick him..

Would be good if you could give a reason for them to stay on as well.

I agree with that last sentence :thup:

text speak has become a huge pet hate of mine... I cant stand it ... English isnt my first language so if i can speak it properly, i expect others to do so aswell.

Ive done it a few times... managed to convince beckham to stay on with my everton team when he was 39.. and still awesome..

and i remember having jon dahl tommason for my wrexham side once in league 1... he played like ronaldo, the real one .. in his hayday

Archived