Your Worst FM Experience?

This is mine, i think i've played the game since CM2 and last night was the worst experience i've had in 15 to 20 years or so.

I’m Aberdeen and in Season 7. Celtic have won the league each season so far. They’re 10 points ahead of me at Christmas and haven’t lost a game. I’ll not give up. It comes down to the last 3 and I’ve whittled them back to 1 point. Then neither of us win the next 2 so it’s a 2 point difference and I’m off to Celtic Park for the last game – winner takes all.

So to the game.

Off we go and 10 minutes in my centre-back makes a perfectly timed tackle in the box – PENALTY! WTF. 1-0 Celtic.

We break straight up the field and Almeida levels from close range. Yes! 1-1…… No wait, OFFSIDE. Its chalked off. No way was it offside.

Almost at half-time and they break away for 2-0. We’re dead and buried.

Get the lads in at half-time – come on boys, I expect better, let’s go out and give it a go.

On the hour we get a glimmer of hope as we pull one back. Right back in it when we equalise with 15 left. 10 to go and we get the third! 3-2 now and the title is heading north.

89 on the clock and the 4th official says 2 minutes extra. They’re almost done when my centre-back goes down lame, and as he’s being treated on the sidelines they break, right through the huge gaping hole left by my absent centre-back and BANG. The crushing blow of an equaliser. In 93 1/2 minutes too. When they said there'd only be 92.

Absolutely gutted. So close. Yet so far etc etc.

The worst FM/CM experience ever.

On FM09 (might have been 08), last game of the season (season 4 i think), i'm currently joint top with Man U but 1st on goal difference of 3. Man U have already played (they won to get joint top) and I play Chelsea at home to try win the title. So what happens? I get stuffed 4-0 AT HOME to come 2nd and lost the trophy that I knocked myself out of other cups (I was in semis of CL against OM, so could have done well in that) to try and win. The only thing that made me feel slightly less crappy was that next season a world beater regen came through my youth system.

my centre-back goes down lame, and as he’s being treated on the sidelines they break, right through the huge gaping hole left by my absent centre-back and BANG. The crushing blow of an equaliser.

Quoting myself there but that’s the bit that bugged me most.

My centre-back is missing and the limitation of the Match Engine meant I couldn’t yet make any changes.

In real-life, my players would have sorted themselves out. My full-back would have shifted in-field to centre-back and a wide-midfielder would’ve filtered back. Or my DMC would drop into CB.

I’d like to see this implemented as a ME improvement. Its very unrealistic for my team to keep on playing with an asymmetrical back-line and i'd hope something better could be done with the ME.

On Fm-07

my team,ac milan was second only 2 points away from roma and the last match was against roma

winner of the match wins serie A title

And the italian cup final was also against roma

And the champions legue final was also against roma

I lost all 3 matches :S

ive had more bad experiences with FM than i care to remember. although one of the worst that does spring to mind is during FM08 when i was playing against my mate using hotseat play. i was villa and he was everton. i was sacked in october after only gaining TWO draws and NO wins! the final misery was a 3-0 defeat by birmingham at home.

i wouldnt care, but i only brought in 2 players (both improvements to the team), stuck to a 4-4-2 throughout and brought in 2 'striker/finishing' coaches to help the team score. i think they only chalked up 3 goals in the short time i was there!

my mate would have took the p*ss if it wasnt for the fact that we were both sat there in stunned disbilief.

In FM08, I brought Leeds from League One and into the Premiership in four seasons, and was still very much a newcomer to FM and had many crappy signings as well as great signings and some signings that didn't make sense.. Anyways, my first year in the Premiership, I stay up by two points. My second season in the Premiership, I'm on a tear and Howson is the league's top goalscorer, he's scoring at will from freekicks and from the AMC position. I am top of the league come Christmas. Then I lose nearly every game and finish in 16th and get the sack.

I had no saves backed up and tried to continue. I took over West Ham and then deleted the save file.

Playing FM08 i was needing a win for the league title away to Chelsea, season 2015 or something. Sunderland were winning easily but any win would win me the Premiership. Winning 2-1 until Frank Lampard scores in the last minute of the season. Then the dreaded info of 'first goal of the season appears'. At end of game find out he is retiring at end of season. He scored in the last minute of his career.

Jeez, I feel your pain mate. Imagine if this happened to "arggggg". He'd go postal!

I've had similar devastating things happen to me but the most depressing was leading the league but about 10 points, all season only to have my captain (and favourite player) to demand a move to a bigger club around March/April.

This seemed to rock us and we eventually fell into 5th and missed out on the SD1 playoffs.

I was Man Utd, in the quarter final of the Champions League, away first to Liverpool. We were pretty good by now as I'd been playing for about 3 years, so the league was a bit of a doddle.

Half time score- Liverpool 8 Man Utd 0.

Pulled two back and won the second leg 3-1, but nothing will ever be worse than watching their first 5 shots go in and being 8 behind. Unbelievable.

I played a save game with my mate. I was Chelsea, he was Man Utd. I won the 5 titles and 2 Champions Leagues in the first five years. He got three seconds, a third and a fourth (not in order), and only won one league cup, lucky to keep his job.

The next year he pips me to the title on the last day ON GOAL DIFFERENCE. But that isn't the worst experience.

I played him in that years Champions League final. Huge game. So nervy. We played the Champions League music, shook hands, the works.

We are drawing at 3-3, fantastic game. Last minute my player puts it in the box and Torres heads home to give us the win. I jump around the room, shouting and going mad. Only to hear him going mad, I ran back to the screen to see it had been disallowed for a 'dodgy' offside.

So we played extra time. I went 4-3 up. This time I sat there and waited - and it was allowed! So I jumped and pumped my fist. Fantastic.

Last minute of extra time, they have thrown everything at us, be we are holding on. He has even put his goalkeeper, Casillas, up for corners.

They get a corner in the 121st minute. Up comes Casillas. I said 'No way. He better not!'

My mate says 'No chance, but worth a crack anyway.'

Not hard to guess the outcome, corner comes in, Casillas rises above John Terry and powers the header home.

Penalties.

I can't remember the exact score on penalties, suffice to say, Casillas makes a couple of saves.

We lose on penalties. Who scored the winning kick? Iker bloody Casillas.

Never been so gutted. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I might not believe it!

I don't think I've managed a fail as big as everyone elses so far, good work guys!

The worst I think I've had was on FM09 with Farsley in the Blue Square North. I was top and 5 points clear with three games remaining. My run in meant playing 2nd & 3rd in the run though. Needless to say I lost to them both taking it to the last day, in which I conceded the last minute to only draw, missing out on the title AND promotion.

Whilst gutted I fancied my chances in the play-offs, after all I had been the best side in the division for 39 games of the season. A nervy away 2-2 tie meant we played the second leg at home with a bit of work to do but should ultimately go through. Again, our foe injury time conspires against us with another last minute goal, making it 2-1 to them and 4-3 on aggregate. Having gone minutes from the title I ended up with nothing.

What compounded my misery was the terrible 15th place I finished the following season in. Needless to say I left at the end of that year!

When I was studying abroad I couldn't afford a PC, nor could I bring mine from home, so I bought an old Pentium at a flea market.

I then decided I needed some old-school CM for my old-school pc, and installed CM97-98...

I led my local team [moved it to a playable division] to the Champions League final, quite an achievement in itself. I was leading 1-0 well into the second half, then the AI club (don't remember which) pulled a ManUtd and won 2-1 with a goal in injury time.

I'm ashamed to admit I smashed the keyboard on the screen several times.

P.S. the keyboard was my roommate's, the screen I had found it in the basement, so no big deal... ;)

P.P.S. However, since my first install of CM2, I've never ever owned a keyboard that has gone unscathed by a CM/FM induced hissy fit.

Luckly, as I'm getting older the habit of punching the keyboard has been dying down. However I'm not gonan give up blasphemy and profanities at least for some more FM versions .)

Was Manchester City a few versions ago, had Bianchi and Huntelaar up front.

Was 2 points behind Arsenal going into last game.

I won 2-0, and kept checking the arsenal score, they were 2-1 down.

Till bang Vela 90mins, Arsenal draw 2-2 and win by the league by one goal.

FM09, and playing as AFC Wimbledon, it was the last day of the season. We had to win to clinch any chance of making it to the playoffs. What happens? We lose 5-3, topped off with their goalkeeper scoring from his own half. Biggest kick in the teeth ever.

On FM08, playing as Carlisle, second season in the Prem and comfortably mid table (where I'd aimed for).

Played at Bolton and everything they hit flew in from 20-25yrds. Final score 12-1. Sacked immediately. I actually took great delight at watching them lose nearly every game after and get relegated by a couple of points, despite them being my team! Took a job at PAOK Salonika and won everything going - nicked a young striker I'd bought for Carlisle and he netted 30+ a season. Revenge was sweet.

On CM01/02 with Newcastle I was 15th or something at christmas, had an amazing second half of the season, Shearer scored hatfuls and we finished 6th, then the game crashed, and I lost it all. Played it again, Shearer got injured and I finished 13th. Remembber to autosave boys and girls.

in fm07 i was chelsea for a very short time and this is why

top of the table.....away at old trafford......man utd are 15 points behind me in 3rd....

im 2 wins away from winning the title......earlier i beat them 4-0 at the bridge.....and i knocked them out of the champions league (3-1 at home 1-0 away)

so im feeling confident then the match starts......bam 2-0 in the first 10 mins...for man utd......first rooney then scholes.....it got worse....4-0 at halftime

in the changing room i broke light fixtures, mirrors, everything i could get my hands on in order to get a decent result.....it didnt work

man utd 7-0 chelsea........scholes score 4.

im a man utd fan by the way......it felt like man utd got mad at me for picking chelsea...and this was its way of telling me to come back home.....which i ended up doing....

Oh actually a worse one than losing 12-1 was on FM 07, gained promotion to the prem with Carlisle then spent all night till about 6am through the close season buying players, getting top coaches, setting everything up for my first ever bash at the Premier League..

I woke up and my laptop had ceased to be, wiping everything on the hard drive.

I could have cried. 6 days past the warranty as well. NEVER buy a Medion laptop!

Probably just had my worst.

I'm Blackburn, have spent the last 10 years dominating the premiership but the players who brought me glory have gotten old (almost all are now 33+) and the replacements i've brought in aren't quite the same standard. We started off the season well, but slumped around November and couldn't buy a win away. Around March we put a really good run together, and came from being 12 points behind Chelsea(top of the league) to being 2 points behind on the last game of the season.

We've got Man United(5th) at home, they've got Boro (17th) at home. Our GD is vastly superior to theirs, so if we win and they either draw or lose, we're champions. They win and it's game over.

Match starts, they score an unbelievable 40 yarder. 0-1. We come back into the game, score an equaliser in the 29th minute, 1-1. Score again, but it's ruled out by the assistant. HT is 1-1. I look at the Chelsea score and they're LOSING 1-0. Can't believe it. We go out in the second half and absolutely f'n batter Utd, but cannot score the winner. The match ends 1-1, Chelsea lose but it doesn't matter because we're still a point behind.

****ing gutted :( won the Champions League final (after knocking Chelsea out in the semis) but it doesn't really help. We had a GD of +71 in comparison to their +23, I don't even know how they're above us in the league based on goals scored/conceded.

Sigh.

Being 4-1 up in the CL Final (I was Barca) vs Inter. 5 minutes of injury time to go and my brother who has never played FM says ''you should defend that lead.'' and I said I wouldn't time waste, I want more goals (as a joke) and then Crespo turns up and scores 4 goals in 5 crazy minutes. I endured months of slagging for that and it hurt me inside. :D

Playing with my mates on FM09 i was villa and my other two mates were everton and spurs. End of first season i finished a respectable sixth whilst everton came 5th and spurs 4th. Anyway, second season comes around and by christmas i'm top of the league with aspirations of winning it. As you can probably guess it didn't work out that way. I ended up coming 4th beating my two mates only to see spurs draw their way to the final of the champs league and then for some reason in the final the valencia manager brings off villa for zigic and spurs win the champs league on pens. I come 4th and get uefa cup because spurs won the champs league. Worst moment ever.

Back in FM08 I had my Rangers game, and in my first season I reached the Champions League Final against Bayern Munich, best achievement ever, or so I thought. Half time I'm leading 4-0, cup is heading to Ibrox, easy. But about 5 mins in 1 of my CB gets sent off.

I stupidly never changed my tactics because I thought the result was in the bag. Unfortunately it wasn't and I ended up losing 5-4, no extra time needed, the team collapsed.

I lost the next 2 Champions League Finals in a row, then winning the 4th. But losing the 1st one was heartbreaking.

Something similar on FM10 for me. I was Arsenal, 7 points behind United with 3 games to go. I continued a 12 game winning streak for the next 2 games, while United only picked up a point, leaving me 2 points behind with a game to go, and with a far superior goal difference.

I'm at Goodison on the last day, I need United to lose/draw, and to win myself. Winning myself, I assumed, would be no problem, but United were at home to Wigan, so I wasn't particularly optimistic. After 15 minutes, both myself and United go 1-0 up, and from then on, I was focused more on the "goal updates" box than my own match, although I was aware that my team seemed quite poor, and thought I'd made the necessary changes at half time. Both scores stayed the same for most of the match, but in the 89th minute, a goal update appears - Wigan have scored a penalty!!! I was ecstatic, cheering, I'd won the league on the last day, I could barely even notice what was happening on my screen right in front of my eyes. In the 93rd minute, the cheers turned to tears, as Joe Mattock, Everton's new left back sub, pops up on the right hand side of the pitch and hits a 35-yard volley into the top corner. The sheer contrast between the excitement and despair made it the most heartbreaking moment I've experienced on the game. So, so, so cruel.

Coca Cola League One. Leeds United.

Three games to go, 1st place. Jermaine Beckford, who scored 44 goals in 39 matches, is obviously injured. I draw at home agains MK Dons, 4-4. Four. Four. After leading 2-0 in the first half.

I lose the leadership to Southampton, but second place still gets promoted automatically.

Two games to go, Charlton away. Beckford still injured. I lose 1-0, with a goal scored on 90'+. Charlton get 2nd place, I go down to 3rd.

Playoff, Beckford still injured. Semi-final away, I lose 2-0. Beckford returns for the home leg, I win the game 3-0, he scores the 2-0 and 3-0, and thus gets me in the final.

Final against Norwich (who in 46 games in a league couldn't finish in a better position then I did, but still get the chance to be promoted, woohoo England); 21', I score but the referee -*cough*FM*cough*- decides that a completely clean goal should be disallowed, and so he disallows it. The go on to score two goals, I reduce de deficit, and on 87', Beckford fires the ball against the upright.

I lose the playoff final and with it the promotion. Angry, I complain about the refereeing and the badly disallowed goal, the FA does nothing, not even a warning, they know it shouldn't have been disallowed.

What a month.

End of the 2038/39 Prem season.

With the final game of the season to be played.

Man City were 1st on 88 points, I (Liverpool) was second on 86 points. Citeh had a GD of +51, and I had a GD of +49.

My final game was against Aston Villa (who were 14th) at home, while Man Citeh had Newcastle (who were 4th) away.

After 75 mins in my game against Villa I was up 2-0. At this point I had gone top of the table (Citeh were due to play in a couple days time) and my GD was +51 as well and I would of finished top even if Citeh drew against Newcastle, so all was looking good. But come the 86th minute, my right winger on the edge of my box tries to clear, as he connects with the clearance my midfielder walks infront of him, the ball goes over my 2 CB's to a Villa striker (also happened to be ex-Liverpool) who slots it home to my disbelief, the match finishes 2-1.

I then attend Newcastle v Man Citeh, with the faint hope that Newcastle can get the 3 points against Citeh. Anyway 50 mins in and the scores are 0-0 and Man Citeh's CB Eric Geronimi gets sent off for a 2nd yellow card, at this point I'm thinking great! Surely Newcastle can get a result now. It keeps rolling towards FT, Newcastle keep pummelling the Citeh goal to no avail, till the 78th minute when their star striker Jaap Van Dijk is given a through ball which he promptly slots home to put Newcastle up 1-0. I'm cheering at this point thinking, thats it no way will Citeh get a goal back wtih 10 men despite the quality they have in their team.

Anyway, 89th minute, and the 4th official puts up his board, 3 minutes of stoppage time, at this point Citeh has thrown everyone forward in the hope to get a equalizer and smacking the ball long, roll on the 92nd minute the defender pumps it long and the Citeh striker (Petr Petrzela) chests it down and is hacked down on the edge of Newcastles area by their defender Roel Veld. They have a free kick on the edge of the box, last kick of the game, up steps their fullback Gonzalo Sanchez Maroto who curls the freekick in the top corner, and with the last kick of Premiership football for the season wins the title for Man Citeh.

Despite winning the Prem 20 or so times, I felt crushed that I got beaten with the last kick. Devastating to say the least.

Archived