Keeping the sub goalkeeper happy

I've managed to keep Lloris and Gomes happy for a season. Can't get much better than that for first choice and cover, especially when Gomes is still world class at 36.

The Premier League and decent runs in the CL/FA/LC left me with more than enough matches to keep both happy.

I haven't had a problem with this for a while (as another poster said, FM08 was the last problematic version - I remember going through a number of upset backup keepers in my Hartlepool save back then) but I have an awesome goalie in my current game who has stayed injury free for a long time, so I just stick a youth keeper on the bench and hope my main man doesn't get injured or sent off.

My other reason for using a young sub keeper is that I'm managing in the Welsh Premier League, so I have a quota of homegrown players under a certain age to fulfill. As my once very young squad has started to mature, I've run out of players of the required age so having a young lad on the bench helps the team reach that target.

I usually play my second choice keeper in all the cup games (league cup, fa and cl/uefa). In cases where i have either not qualified to europe or am out of the cup competitions, i bring on the second choice keeper as a sub in the final 10-15 mins of a game where i am winning comfortably. As long as the "Games Played" column reads 10 games, i find my keeper to be happy even if he has played less than 150 mins the whole season :D

Does anyone else ever play their weaker sub keeper in the cup and then forget to put your No. 1 back in when you play the league leaders on the Saturday? Bloody hell I hate that, squeaky bum 90mins they are.

I did that for the FA Cup final, I put in a weak side for the last game of the season as I couldn't finish higher or lower than 4th, and then totally forgot to change the keeper back, noticed after about 5mins of the game, but didn't want to sub him as I just knew the 1st choice would get injured/sent off. Ended up losing 5-4 AET

In tough games and most away games, I use the no.1 keeper. For easy games, home and cup games I use the backup ( who is just as good as the no.1 ) I use the no.2 so they end up with about the same number of appearances.

Isn't that detrimental to having a settled, stable defence though?

It also depends on what squad status he's got.

Backup or lower and I never play them. If they complain I tell them to be patient and if they ask to be transferred I let them go.

If they refuse to re-sign at Backup status I let their contract expire unless they have potential.

For a backup keeper with Rotation status I play them in at least a quarter of all games - usually in early cup matches or at home against weaker teams. If I'm newly promoted or just not expected to do well that season I'll play a Rotation keeper away against stronger opposition and 'sympathise' whenever they have a shocker.

I don't put a keeper on the bench in FM10 - goalies seem to be indestructive :p

I do however, play my second keeper in domestic cup competitions. I will also consider playing him in the odd league game against the lesser teams and usually if a league or tournament is won with a few games to spare.

He hasn't complained so every one is happy!

I wonder how you guys pull it off... For the third I either get a very young one or a very bad one, but for the second you need a solid back-up, if not in more or less the same quality...

You are right, it also depends on the personality of the second keeper, if it is young and ambitious ( like my 2nd GK ) it is pretty much impossible to refrain him :) from his bla bla .. so usually I cut him 2 weeks of wages to calm him down

There was one game (might have been an older one) were I had two very good but injury prone keepers. Never really settled on a number 1 for that reason, but usually did just play whoever was second choice in the cups. Although he then did complain about not playing in important games; which was annoying but also quite impressive the game recognized what I was doing. For third choice I usally went for whatever decent young keeper game through the youth system or signed a hopefully still decent player-coach who don't really care whether they play or not.

Not that hard, you just need to find a goalkeeper willing to get less than 10 matches per season.

I never have good second goalkeepers though. Usually I simply snap up players older than 34 as backup. Dean Kiely is doing a job for me in that role, and Raúl Navas Paúl is the other backup goalkeeper for me on loan from Sheffield United, a division down.

On occasion I've found some "good" backup goalkeeper - a young-ish Macedonian who turned out to be ambitious and professional and ended up turning into a decent goalkeeper himself - ended up making a profit on him. I also had a Japanese goalkeeper who made no league appearances in 6 years averaging 7 games per season. He would complain about a lack of games and when that happened I chucked him into a Cup game and all was well again. I could have kept repeating it until he retired but I found a better victim so I offered him mutual termination which he accepted willingly.

I have a decent #2 keeper who threw a fit when I sold one of his friends; he got so mad that he demanded I transfer him. So I put him on the list and set about buying another keeper, and figured I should improve while I'm at it; now I've got a pretty good #1 and a #2 who's also good, but can't get a game in. Times like this I want to be able to say to him "How'd that whole "put me on the transfer list" thing work out for you?"

laughing my ass off over here :D

I've just managed 9 seasons, and now i've tied him to a long contract.

his grandchildren in years to come will be all "what did grandad do for a career?" and he'll say, "well i watched some football and sat down a lot, for £3,000 a week"

Generally i go for a young promising keeper to be no.2 playing him in cups and dead league games, then when my no.1 is getting on they will genrally accept a deal with a lower squad status and be more happy to play back up, allowing my No.2 to become progress,

But i never have a 3rd choice keeper

Yeah my second choice plays in league games that I can afford to, plus cup games and European games once I am qualified or against vastly inferior opposition.

In lots of cases though, where I am playing poor opposition in cups/Europe I will play my third choice/fourth choice, sometimes even fifth choice goalkeeper, as they are kids I want to get some first team experience.

i usually try & get the best gks i can 4 both the 1st & 2nd choice, I then rotate them, if one plays well, he stays in the team till hes lets in 3 goals or sumthin, then they switch, or if 1 is playing fanastic, i give the other the chance to shine, in the cups games.

usually wrks, neva had an unhappy gk.

sumtimes had unhappy midfielders, again cos i like to have the best players i can & rotate them.

Archived