Is the regen system still weak?

After spending 13 years with Stade Rennais, CSKA Moscow and Leverkusen, i got an offer from Napoli in 2022 (my longest save in FM) Took over the club since it had a good defense and the board offered me 46 million transfer fund (which if i wanted i could exploit the transfer bug and extend it to almost 200 million) I usually search for wingers who have got at least 15 rating in dribbling, technique, creativity, flair and off the ball and 13 for crossing.

I was unable to find any player even when i individually checked each club. Decided to use FMRTE thinking that i will not bid for the player unless my scout gets a report on him. However the only player i found was Obertan who was 33 years old. Reduced the values to 14 but the only other player i found was James Rodriguez, age 31. Decided to stick with what i have and a few days later i checked that my star defender's (who was 31) contract was going to expire at the end of the year.

I tried to renew it but he said that he was not interested in signing a new contract. Since Chelsea and Tottenham were interested in the player, i sold him off. When i tried to search for a replacement defender (marking, tackling, positioning, concentration and strength) i was unable to find one until i reduced the values to 13. Once again i checked FMRTE and while there were no players with all values of 15, i found 6 defenders on 14. However the youngest was 29.

This is not the case at the start of the game. I find a number of players even when i increase the values to 16 or higher. My question is...will the players' values become more weaker if i decide to continue with the game. Have you people come across players (not trained by you) whose necessary values are 15 or higher?

Regens never seem to progress to match the attributes of the real life players at the start of the game. I think this is in part down to poor regen development and initial attribute distribution, but also in large part down to the fact that a majority of the starting players, especially in the larger leagues are vastly over-rated to begin with. Can you imagine the uproar if, say for example, SI decided to (yet again) lop 2 or 3 attribute points off the starting attributes of every kid in GD's favourite over-paid nancy boy?

Regens never seem to progress to match the attributes of the real life players at the start of the game. I think this is in part down to poor regen development and initial attribute distribution, but also in large part down to the fact that a majority of the starting players, especially in the larger leagues are vastly over-rated to begin with. Can you imagine the uproar if, say for example, SI decided to (yet again) lop 2 or 3 attribute points off the starting attributes of every kid in GD's favourite over-paid nancy boy?

What if i get a youngster highly rated by my scout and train him in the attributes that i want or use some of the training schedules available here...will his stats improve to the required level?

marking, tackling, positioning, concentration and strength all 15

There are 5 regens in my game like this.Year 2017

I agree that regens attribute distribution is not the best

But you ask a bit too much,i mean come on,"15 rating in dribbling, technique, creativity, flair and off the ball " ?

edit:There are also 5 regen strikers with 14 rating in dribbling, technique, creativity, flair and off the ball in my game,which is pretty high for me

marking, tackling, positioning, concentration and strength all 15

There are 5 regens in my game like this.Year 2017

Again...did you train them or are they with other clubs

But you ask a bit too much,i mean come on,"15 rating in dribbling, technique, creativity, flair and off the ball " ?

Am i really asking too much...no because i think many will agree that 15 is a good rating for a player at the highest level. Those are the attributes for a good winger...note that i have not at all considered physical attributes

They don't seem to be very realistic IMO.

Their mental attributes are always very odd. Haven't seen any majorly realistic looking attributes....

Young regens will naturally have low mental attributes. They gain that through experience and tutoring from veterans.

Off the ball for regen wingers is too low compared to "real" players. It has been raised up loads of times in previous threads regarding regen problems. I would try removing "off the ball" from your search criteria as there's nothing you can do about that except wait for the next patch (I hope).

I have regens in my current save who are some of the best players I've ever seen in any version of FM, including real players.

Yes, I wouldn't deny it, I've seen my share of World Class regens too. My point is though that at the start of the game the general quality of players in the game is far higher across the board than 20 years down the line when it's pretty much all regens. You do get the odd absolutely top notch gem, but the average player, say the level of the bulk of the EPL, Serie A, or Liga squads, is in generally of a far lower quality than at the game start. Either that or they are excellent at most things, but have one huge, glaring, deficiency for their position, i.e. CB's with a great all-round game who can't jump, Strikers with garbage off-the-ball, DM's who can't tackle or head the ball but have fantastic long range shooting and corner taking abilities.

What if i get a youngster highly rated by my scout and train him in the attributes that i want or use some of the training schedules available here...will his stats improve to the required level?

It's difficult to know really. I don't use editors or scouting tools so I can't talk in terms of PA or CA because I never bother to find those out, but in my experience if I find a regen at 16 y.o. who has decent starting physical atts and no obvious major flaws (i.e CB with 5 jumping), even with the best coaches, facilites, and training possible they never seem to grow technically to match the starting players. It seems they all become very good in two of three areas, technical, mental, or physical, but not all three, yet the starting DB is full of players who are technically nearly perfect, mental masters of the game, AND physical specimens.

Perhaps I just don't have a flaming clue how to develop young talent, but I'm not sure it's me because the AI managers seem to be crap at it too! :D

Yes, I agree with the previous posts. Counting out the 190+ CA regens who are bound to be excellent in most areas, the players that should be squad players on top teams or starters for top league teams always seem to have glaring deficiencies.

On a side note, I once had a striker regen come through with finishing and composure both 1. Not that this guy was going to become anything great, but come on, why would this guy be a striker if he can't do the most important thing strikers need to do.

The vast majority of newgens have a dreadful attribute distribution...

Strikers with laughable finishing skills, defenders with awful positioning, AMCs with the technical/creativity skills of Vinnie Jones etc etc

Moreso, mental skills seem to get weaker and weaker... What's the point of having decent players with 3 Positioning or 4 Decisions or 5 Off the Ball.

And let's not talk about young lads with the physical attributes of my grandfather.

Of course, I ignore the hidden attributes we're not supposed to know, but if you have ever looked at those, it's almost inevitable finding out the oh-so-promising 190PA striker has Consistency 6, Ambition 8 and Professionalism 10.

Really, for ONE or TWO great newgens there are hundreds of awful newgens who, with a slightly better attributes calibration/distribuion, could have made the game much better and enjoyable.

The gap with the Real Life players is huge, also because the original database is very generous, especially with Top Stars and well-known players, and also with Flavour of the Year youngsters.

Having newgens with attributes comparable to those would require much rules-bending.

So maybe a bit of toning down for many real-life players could make the newgens look better (or less worse) than they look now

DC with marking, tackling, positioning, concentration and strength higher than 15...

... in 2045: 24 (25000 players loaded)

... in 2009: 33 (40000 players loaded)

But overall the defenders at the start of the game are better...

I believe the regens system is almost perfect, there are just some issues about attribute distribution that need to be sort out, but i wouldnt call it "dreadful".

I think it varies save to save, i've done saves wheres theres been no talent around at all but in others, like the OP said i've seen s**t loads of world-class players probably more than when you start your first season.

i used to agree with your observation before patch 10.2 and my current dinamo kiev save...I have three studs and I mean studs. I don't use cheating technology to look up their CA but their attribs are amazing. I was really upset that neither ronaldo nor messi are willing to play in Ukraine but then got this ukrainian kid at 17 that had better attributes by 22 he led ukraine to world cup final and is just virtually the perfect player except pace of 14. he even tackles and marks well with 20 stamina and natural fitness hasn't missed a game in three years. i am in love with this guy as you guys can tell.

Does retaining players from all continents have a positive effect? Just mentioning this with respect to Johnnyyen's post as the numbers seem to be proportionate to the number of players in game there. Also, if starting with all players from all continents (278,000 I believe), does the game continually produce regens to maintain such numbers i.e. as opposed to numbers dwindling when players aren't retained in such a manner?

The problem I have found with regens is primarily this, they have very odd stat packages. For example they will have absurdly low off the ball, or absurdly low jumping or stamina, like in the neighborhood of 5 or less. While everything else seems to be fine. Those are not the only stats that seem to come up oddly however.

There just seem to be strange holes in at least 90% of the regens that come through. Leaving them highly deficient in one or more aspects of their game. SI needs to smooth these valleys out I think.

Archived