1GB to 2GB

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by homerjnick:

2GB makes a big difference in FM compared to 1GB. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How exactly? If you ctrl+alt+del and examine the process actual memory usage, you will hardly ever see it top 500mb.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by homerjnick:

Simple. Benchmark it.

I have 2 laptops that have the same OS and apps and one has 2GB and the other has 1GB and there is a big difference in loading times, processing etc.

Same model of laptop as well BTW. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think memory bandwidth and timings will be more important than quantity ..

I have 2 gigs and yes it does let you run more leagues .. but it isn't any faster on default settings than with just 1 gig.

As I said, the process itself rarely uses more than 500mb of ram at any one time.

My FM08 is presently using 0.89GB of ram, I am running all European, S.American leagues plus Mexico & USA so this goes along why to explain the rather high usage.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barside:

My FM08 is presently using 0.89GB of ram, I am running all European, S.American leagues plus Mexico & USA so this goes along why to explain the rather high usage. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does memory usage increase incrementally each season? I have never completed a season in 2008 so my '500mb' statistic might indeed be dross.

im interested in this as well. I was planning to go out and upgrade my mem from 1gb to 2gb but before I spend the money i want to know if it's worth it. any other opinions?

thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gubbs:

Simple. Benchmark it.

I have 2 laptops that have the same OS and apps and one has 2GB and the other has 1GB and there is a big difference in loading times, processing etc.

Same model of laptop as well BTW. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think memory bandwidth and timings will be more important than quantity ..

I have 2 gigs and yes it does let you run more leagues .. but it isn't any faster on default settings than with just 1 gig.

As I said, the process itself rarely uses more than 500mb of ram at any one time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On your computer Gubbs.

RAM usage varies on every computer. When I'm playing the game, it's on an average of 700mb. It all depends on one's anti-virus and other running processes, the size of the game database, how many leagues you are running, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jonfun1980:

whoops, my bad. I read it wrong. I thought he meant 135GB. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe icon_biggrin.gif

My main game when loaded at July 14th 07 takes up 590MB but when I check again after playing solidly through to July 14th 09 it's sitting at 1.62GB, bearing in mind that I have 4GB of RAM and run 39 Nations & 97 Leagues.

Going from 1GB to 2GB you'll notice a improvement in loading, saving & heavy processing later on in the game session but 2GB to 4GB you won't notice apart from maybe in heavily modified databases.

Simply put, if your RAM use goes over your intalled amount it pages to the Hard Drive, essentially dropping from 3.2GB(DDR 400MHz)/sec to ~70MB/sec on a Hard Drive. If it gets really slow, you know you need to invest a couple of £ in a RAM upgrade.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Riza:

Nick, how many leagues are you running and how far in the game are you? That's insane. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

53 years in with 17 leagues (from 5 nations).

It was quite exciting wen I broke the gigabyte barrier (I'm so sad!)

• 1 month later...

It does - I have a Intel dual core e6500 that really helps but so does 2mb ram - that certainly helps.

Plenty of hard disk space you should always have at least 15% free especially if running Vista 32bit

I just explained this in a different thread - the memory need is highly dependant on the size of DB and number of active leagues you're running.

If your save-game config is "too large" for your physical RAM, the problem you run into is "disk swapping" - if you press "Continue" and you can hear your hard drive grinding away, that means that FM's requests for memory have exceeded the physical RAM on the machine. In that case, Windows uses "Virtual Memory", which is a fancy way of saying "It uses your hard drive as extra RAM."

Hard drives are wayyy slower than real RAM, so if that's happening to you, each "Continue" is taking much longer than it would if you had enough RAM.

If that is happening for your save-game, then installing more RAM will make a huge difference. I was shocked how much FM's speed improved when I went from 512Mb to 1 GB - which was what I needed to get out of "Virtual Memory" for the small-DB / 7-league configuration I'd chosen.

However, if that is not happening to you, all the physical memory in the world won't speed you up: what you need is a faster processor, or better, dual processors.

So, the way you're asking the question, I don't think anybody can give you a definitive answer. On that small/7-league save game, the increase from 512Mb to 1 GB was incredible, but going from 1 GB to 2 GB would have had no impact. ... Had I been on a large/40-league save game, the increase from 512Mb to 1 GB would have been negligible, but I would probably have seen tremendous improvement going from 1 GB to 2 GB.

Ive recently upgraded from 1GB to 2.5GB RAM.

A small noticable difference although I brought mine for different reasons. Mainly to play 2 games at the same time.

I think if I wanted to improve the speed of processing the games I will have to purchase a better Processor than what is in my laptop already. although they are hard to change?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by deltoro:

I'm using 1gb DDR ram right now but cant remember its MHZ (400-533 etc) How can I learn it on windows? Are there any command to learn this ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Download CPU-Z and run that, it will tell you information about your CPU and memory.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T-Bag:

It wont process fixtures any quicker with more ram. It might make the game a tad more responsive though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes it will....

I use 2gb and sometimes when playing my overall RAM usage is over 1gb. If I had only 1gb then it would be using pagefiling instead of RAM which would slow the game down.

Having 2gb is definitely recommended, plus it allows you to do other things at the same time.

I often run Warcraft and FM on the same PC on different screens for example...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jonfun1980:

I hope to get 1GB installed tonight. Went to PC World last night and they said they did not have the PC3200 in stock that I needed. Despite it saying they had it on stock on the website for that store. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How old is your PC? Most PCs these days need matched pairs of SIMMS so you might need to buy 2GB of ram instead of one. Is your current 1GB SIMM to separate sticks or one?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Is your current 1GB SIMM to separate sticks or one? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that didn't come out right...what I mean is does your PC currently only have one SIMM or two?

Its around 2 years old.

I have 4 slots, 2 have nothing in them. The other 2 have x2 512mb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might be better off then buying a 2GB pair (2x1GB SIMMS) instead of just 1GB, it's not good to mix and match simms together unless you know the exact specs of your current SIMMS and can find an identical pair to purchase. Memory is cheap these days anyway.

With most PC's, the single most effective and simplest way to increase performance is more RAM.

Most systems currently are 1Gb Windows XP systems. Windows XP normally uses at least 512Mb of that just for system processes so even if FM08 is only using 500 it is running extremely close to the limit and anything extra installed could easily run into pageswapping, which as described above is dramatically slower than holding the working data in RAM.

Archived