Europe Through Fair Play

Bit of a coincidence because of im a Man City fan but during my 2nd season as West Brom, England won the extra place through Fair Play...i checked the tables out and everything and i had 3rd least yellows (behind Chelsea and Arsenal, obviously in CL) with only 1 red card all season, so i thought wow im going to sneak into europe....unfortunately though for me id been relegated but didnt think it would affect it, and Portsmouth were handed the place instead

i guess all i want to know is, did i not get the place because i was relegated or because there is a bug somewhere? (Portsmouth had no red cards all season but where top 8 in the amount of yellows)

Bit of a coincidence because of im a Man City fan but during my 2nd season as West Brom, England won the extra place through Fair Play...i checked the tables out and everything and i had 3rd least yellows (behind Chelsea and Arsenal, obviously in CL) with only 1 red card all season, so i thought wow im going to sneak into europe....unfortunately though for me id been relegated but didnt think it would affect it, and Portsmouth were handed the place instead

i guess all i want to know is, did i not get the place because i was relegated or because there is a bug somewhere? (Portsmouth had no red cards all season but where top 8 in the amount of yellows)

Sorry, IRL it doesn't matter if you get relegated. The fair play league for each nation is compiled over the course of the full season with teams starting that season in the top tier being entered. Therefore IRL, West Brom were not included in the fair play league as they were in the championship, and reading were even though they got relegated.

TBH I am not familiar with how the scoring works exactly, but it may be that you the points for receiving yellow cards are less than red??? I know that Fulham were hoping to get in this season at Man City's expense following Dunne's red card on the last day so I would assume red cards have quite a big impact.

That being said there may have been other things in the game that affected why you didn't get in, such as your interatction with other managers, the media etc. I know IRL this would have affected your total fair play points, but in the game I'm not sure what they take notice of.

You'd have to ask SI that one icon_smile.gif

It is not just judge on then umber of yellow and red cards you receive as a team, it is also based on things like number of shots etc.

It is a very complicated scoring system, that I have never understood. But it is effectively about fair play + style + sportsmanship.

All a load of rubbish if you ask me. A team should qualify on merit, not because they are wimps who duck out of challenges

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by The_Kreman:

A team should qualify on merit, not because they are wimps who duck out of challenges </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose you are going to be one of the fathers who holler and heckle the fourty-something year old ref on a sunday morning when your watching your 7 year old son play then?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> quote:

Originally posted by The_Kreman:

A team should qualify on merit, not because they are wimps who duck out of challenges

I suppose you are going to be one of the fathers who holler and heckle the fourty-something year old ref on a sunday morning when your watching your 7 year old son play then? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll be shouting at the ref, the linesman (or should i say assistant ref) and all 22 kids! If they are going to go on that picth and play or officiate the beautiful game, I'm going to be there on the touchline making damn sure they do it properly!!!!

ahh i see. think i got it.

play a game and get 10 pts. minus 1pt for every yellow and 3 pts for every red

then a score out of 10 for positive play (?)

a score out of 7 for respect towards ref

a score out of 7 for repect towards opponents

and a score out of 6 for behanviour of officials

meaning a total score out of 40.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by backpackant:

I think Redknapp once said that it made a mockery of football. All you need to do is get to 35 points and then make sure you don't foul anyone ever and you get European football.

Hardly fair. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you not have to finish in the top half of the table to be eligible?

No because Fulham were close to stealing it off City and they finished 17th didnt they....i just wanted to know if me being relegated mattered, would be nice if someone from SI could clarity it all for us really

It's kinda logical that teams that get relegated dont often end up near the top of the fair play league. Look at Derby this season;

1. they have to bring in combatative players that make up for lack of skill with work rate and passion. These players are more likely to get book.

2. Positive play isnt really an option when you are leaking an average of 3 goals a game. They would have to try and stay solid and catch teams on the break. So they would suffer hre too.

That leaves them with respect toward oponents and respect towards teh ref. These alone are never going to be enough

In order to qualify for Europe through the fair play league, it's not just a case of finishing top of your own country's fair play league. Your country's national league has to win the extra place by winning the fair play league of the various European leagues, if that makes any sense.

Basically, Man. City qualified for Europe because England won the fair play award and City were the highest-placed team in England's fair play league not to qualify for Europe via other means.

I get your question, dap. From what I heard on news shows the last week of the season, if Man City had lost the top spot in fair play, and Fulham were relegated, Fulham would NOT have gotten into Europe. So from that, I'd figure that, yes, you have to stay in the top flight of your country to play in Europe via the Fair Play rule.

Archived