Meaning of some attributes

1) I have four GKs in my squad and the one who has the best attribute for positioning has only 7. How important is positioning for GKs? I know some attributes aren't very important for GKs, like off the ball, but positioning may be helpful. Is this normal or are my GKs just not that good?

2) I also noticed something about the jumping attribute on field players. Tall players always have high jumping attributes (crouch has 18) and small players never pass 14 or 15 (otamendi has 13). Of course tall players can reach higher but that's not because they can jump high, that's just because...they're tall.

All attributes are helpful for whatever the attribute is for. You just have to decide what you feel the most valuable attributes are for each player. For example, you might have a goalkeeper with tremendous reflexes and shot stopping attributes but he might not be so good at positioning or commanding the area. Your other 'keeper may be the opposite and it's up to you to choose who you prefer.

All the attributes are the same as in real life so if a goalkeeper has poor positioning, he may get caught in one on ones, or be unable to save certain free kicks/ goals from corners etc.

1) I have four GKs in my squad and the one who has the best attribute for positioning has only 7. How important is positioning for GKs? I know some attributes aren't very important for GKs, like off the ball, but positioning may be helpful. Is this normal or are my GKs just not that good?

Positioning is an important attribute for GKs but one bad skill doesn't make that player useless.

2) I also noticed something about the jumping attribute on field players. Tall players always have high jumping attributes (crouch has 18) and small players never pass 14 or 15 (otamendi has 13). Of course tall players can reach higher but that's not because they can jump high, that's just because...they're tall.

Jumping = How high a player can get his head which is his natural height + his leaping ability.

A tall player and a short player with the same jumping will reach the same height in the air.

Positioning for a Goalkeeper means how well he narrows angles and gets into the right place to deal with shots. A keeper with low Positioning could still be a great shot-stopper in most situations but against a point blank shot from a corner he is likely to be in the wrong place and simply not be able to react quickly enough to keep the ball out.

That would be "rushing out" surely?

Rushing out is the Goalkeeper equivelant of Tackling. Goalkeepers that Rush out and do not smother the ball or attempt or tackle the opponent are regularly rounded, chipped or caught out of position with a pass.

Consider what Rushing Out involves for a Goalkeeper in real life. It starts off with good Positioning of the body covering the goal relative to the immediate threat, it involves Anticipation of the opponents next move, it then progresses to the Decision to Accelerate to a high Pace in order to smother the ball or push it away from the opponent. It finally involves the accurate execution of the Tackle.

In FM Rushing Out will either determine the quality of choice made when deciding to run out and tackle the opponent, the quality of the tackle, or both. It does not control the Goalkeepers initial positioning, and subsequent defensive positioning is irrelevant as the Goalkeeper is commited to the tackle.

When a Goalkeeper rushes out, there is no "Narrowing the Angles" involved. Narrowing the Angles is the precursor to the choice to sprint from goal and win the ball.

Rushing out is the Goalkeeper equivelant of Tackling. Goalkeepers that Rush out and do not smother the ball or attempt or tackle the opponent are regularly rounded, chipped or caught out of position with a pass.

Consider what Rushing Out involves for a Goalkeeper in real life. It starts off with good Positioning of the body covering the goal relative to the immediate threat, it involves Anticipation of the opponents next move, it then progresses to the Decision to Accelerate to a high Pace in order to smother the ball or push it away from the opponent. It finally involves the accurate execution of the Tackle.

In FM Rushing Out will either determine the quality of choice made when deciding to run out and tackle the opponent, the quality of the tackle, or both. It does not control the Goalkeepers initial positioning, and subsequent defensive positioning is irrelevant as the Goalkeeper is commited to the tackle.

When a Goalkeeper rushes out, there is no "Narrowing the Angles" involved. Narrowing the Angles is the precursor to the choice to sprint from goal and win the ball.

Fascinating but I don't really agree with any of that. According to the FM manual:

"Rushing out: How good the goalkeeper is at coming off his line to react to through balls and similar situations."

What you are describing sounds more like "one-on-ones", which according to the manual is:

"The ability of the goalkeeper to do well when faced with an opponent in a one on one situation. Higher attributes will see goalkeepers attempt to impose themselves and win the ball with confidence."

But there is only one attribute, 'Rushing Out'

What I'm saying is, that one attribute, I think, is his tendency to rush out, not how effective he is at it.

As I said tho, I'm not sure :)

At the risk of repeating myself, the manual states: "Rushing out: How good the goalkeeper is at coming off his line to react to through balls and similar situations."

His tendency to rush out would be governed by "decisions" I would have thought.

Hi Rob, yeah I realise this, but when it is discussed in the Player Data forum, it is not described as such. And you would have thought that the club researchers would have a pretty good handle on the meanings of attributes. Thats why I said some clarification would be good, because myself, you, and SFraser all have a different idea :)

Archived