How do you judge when a player is past it?

A fairly elementary question I know, but I struggle with it constantly. I think my problem is I don't know how to read the players stats - to me a good player that gets a bit older still looks to me like they have good stats. I'm always making the wrong decision with when to let players go, for instance I sold William Gallas at the age of 33 to Liverpool and he went on to continue to do a good job, on another occasion I kept hold of Liedson because he was scoring loads of goals despite his age, and then he suddenly bombed. So I just wanted to ask some of you lot, how do you judge it, especially with the better teams on the game?

I like hanging onto defenders into their mid-30s.. Especially a centre-backs like Gallas.

Once Forwards start losing their pace, they are on their way out. Forwards are past their prime at 32.

Goalkeepers >> Defenders >> Midfielders >> Strikers

Are Good Into Their 30's >>>>>>>>>>> Suck in their 30s.

I tend to sell the year before their contract runs out, once they're 28 or older.

Basically, I don't even want to face the problem of "guessing" when they're past it, because often it'll be too late already, and I'll then get stuck with an aging former Star, not good enough and with a royal wage.

If the physical stats are still holding on [starting from a good base of course], I can keep a player around til he's 30-32, otherwise I sell him BEFORE his acceleration/pace begin to take a nosedive.

I like to keep them a bit as long as they have good mental attributes to pass on.

Also, I believe that your squad should have a certain age mix. I too don't have many 30+ players in the first XI, sometimes even none, but a team of U24 will not have as much success as it could with a few older players in there as well.

I like to keep them a bit as long as they have good mental attributes to pass on.

Also, I believe that your squad should have a certain age mix. I too don't have many 30+ players in the first XI, sometimes even none, but a team of U24 will not have as much success as it could with a few older players in there as well.

It also depends on the league you are playing in.

Look at AC Milan for example, some of their best players are already early-mid 30's and can still do the job!

Its all about perspective and stats. It IS possible to have an entire team of u24's and to succeed, but you have to be a tactical geneius and lucky too... or have a great set of regens coming from the youth team.

If we're talking prem though, look at the stats then decide. I'd say once they hit 28-30, try an get them on a lower wage and see how they do. If all else fails, loan/sell and try again

personally go by form if its consistently playing well then keep him but once his form dips regularly ie more and more off games its time to say goodbye.

Some players go well beyond there years some dont and quickly deteriorate the skill detecting it before it costs games is the skill.

Si do have a guide what is peak age but I have found some players work beyond the age so I consider it a rough guide.

I keep them until they retire. If nothing else, they make great tutors.

edit: Xabi Alonso just won Spanish Player of the Year for me at 36. His attributes have diminished a lot, but he's still playing very well. I was gonna let him move on since his contract is expiring, but I signed him on for another season; he only wanted £10k p/w.

Take a screenshot (crtl-alt-printscreen) and paste it onto a spreadsheet for everyone at the start of the game and when you sign them.

Take another of everyone at the end of every season or when you want to assess them for contract renewals or whatever. Paste the new one next to the most recent one and you'll be able to see whats going on.

Handy for tracking which youngsters are developing rather than relying on vague feedback from the coaches (and if you don't want to use Genie or similar).

Old player's physical stats will start to nosedive once they're past their peak.

Depends on their position. If it's a winger, full back, or striker, when their physical stats decline, they're out, as I play quite fast, energetic football. If it's the creative midfielder, then I'll tend to keep them despite their drop in stats. Beckham was the star of a Bolton team I had, and he was still playing well 4 seasons into the game.

I'm usually happy to keep goalkeepers well into their 30's. And centre backs. I regretted selling Gallas to Spurs when I was arsenal, as his stats didn't begin to seriously decline till he was about 35. Luckily Toure and Fazio kept my defence tight, and made sure I didn't regret it.

As I very rarely sign a player above the age of 25, I allow a lot of my players to stay with the club until they retire.

Maybe it's just daft sentimental reasons, but for their loyalty, I show them loyalty as they have been with the club for a long time.

This is usually only for players who have played regularly for me though. Others who haven't I sell/release sooner. So I suppose it depends on the player.

If it is a real-life player, and they have been with the club for a long time I always let them retire at the club, even if they only get a few appearences per season. I think it is handy to have a few old heads for instance, in a cup game where I am playing a lot of youngsters.

Guys, thanks for all the input. I know its a simple thing but I often struggle with it so thanks for taking the time to reply. I really like PjW's idea of screenshotting the players attributes, I think I'm going to start doing that with my players over 30.

Once again, thanks for the replies :)

Its an interesting situation. I have Juliano Belletti in my team (2nd season) and I signed him with the intention of being back up/tutor. Hes been so good though that he's currently the first choice RB.

Now, I only signed him on a one year contract, he's 34 after all. But he's been so good and has only lost a tiny amount of acceleration so it's not like his stats were declining dramatically. I've been in two minds whether to keep him or let him leave. I'm tempted to keep him on for another year, especially as I have a rather promising 18 year old Spanish regen RB in my reserves.

It prompts a different question (sorry to take it slightly off topic).

In RL, often a good mix of youth and experience makes for a good team. How does FM handle this? Is there any benefit to 'experience', given that so much seems to be attribute value driven? Personally I like the idea of a mostly youthful team, but with a couple of experienced players dotted within the team - is this an idealistic view and one that would have no actual merit in the game?

How do I know when they've lost it? Stats decrease and moreover they cannot keep to the standards they once met.

Also depends on whether you have a younger player coming through the ranks, and whether he can replace your older player and perform well. Well, thats my opinion anyway :)

Archived