Player value

I'm a little confused as to how the computer comes up with the "value" stat. It's never close to what clubs actually want for the player. For example, I approached Clint Dempsey to sign a contract. His value was stated at 6.5 million pounds and the club requested $44 million! As another example, Louis Saha, who is one of my players, has a listed value of 2.2 million pounds. I would never sell him for that, especially since he has connected for 12 goals in the first 9 league games. I could never replace him for 2.2 million. What gives?

CA/PA, squad status, current reputation and performance can affect a player's value a lot.

Of course it's not always a reflection of his ACTUAL market value.

If you just sent your 8th striker on loan and he had a good spell there, his value will probably be higher than it was when he was in the Reserve League, but it doesn't actually mean you'll find a club who'll pay the £ 1M on his price tag.

On the other hand, your Top Players can be sold for much more than their current value, if you find the right buyer.

Also, players in their last year of contract tend to lose value, because of the eventuality of a Bosman rule transfer... So it's a matter of "less is better than nothing"

IMO the weird aspect of the value is how abruptely it fluctuates even accross few weeks.

I had 2 players valued 250.000 and within 3 months their value raised to 3.5M ...... and 1 month later it dropped to 1.8M....... it sounds not real to me.

Well you have to consider in real life we don't know the day-by-day value of a player, and to be honest I even doubt the club themselves know it :)

Unless a player is for sale, or is receiving an offer, his transfer value is merely indicative, and usually a rough estimate.

So FM has to approximate it, based on the aforementioned factors. But as we all can see, the value is still little more than a guideline.

It can rise to 2M after a good spell with the first team, and it can drop to 500k after a period in the Reserve League, but his transfer value lies probably somewhere in the middle.

P.S. is Diego worth £20M nowadays? I doubt it... but his value can go up again, the day he'll start performing at the level he used to

Shouldn't it be better if there weren't any values visable, just asking prices?

Please! this, this, a million times this!!!!!!! Are you listening SI??

Might stop the flood of utterly moronic "OMFG I had to pay 10 million for a player listed at 5 million!!!!elevntyone!!!!111111" threads.

Might stop the flood of utterly moronic "OMFG I had to pay 10 million for a player listed at 5 million!!!!elevntyone!!!!111111" threads.

But then wouldn't it destroy the feature of negotiating a price?

No, you bid what you're willing to pay and what you think the player is worth to you. Player's club either tells you to GTF, negotiates, or accepts your bid. There's always the "enquire" option. Ask yourself, do you actually need the "value" displayed to decide wether a player is any use to you? Do real life managers pick up the footballing equivalent of "Autotrader" before the club makes a bid, or load FM2010 to see how much a player might be valued at by his current club?

I 100% disagree,

sorry, that's a forum

That's fine, you're entitled to an opinion, but can you explain why you want it kept?

Still yet to hear a single worthwhile argument for having "value" on a player's profile. It's like Niklas Bendtner walking around London with barcodes, price-flashes, and big day-glo stickers all over himself.

Players are worth what a buyer is willing to pay and their club is willing to sell for. Simple.

We "need" players' value because it's often difficult making an educated guess about what a player is actually worth, in FM universe [and IRL too].

You can use "Enquire", true. But that works just when you're looking to sign a player. What if you're just looking around?

Also, it's easy to make an offer for a player you KNOW about, but what if he's a 20 yo newgen? Or an obscure African player who looks decent but who knows?

Values are an important tool for a FM'er. Not real-life like maybe, but useful nonetheless

I think perhaps this issue could be solved by, in a similar way to attribute masking, having "value" an optional tick box in the preferences. Although I don't often venture into the forum, and I don't really care about the player naming in GD, I play the game with my own LLM rules, only bidding on scouted players, attributes hidden, starting with no rep etc, so for me it would add to the realism if you could get rid of the "value" display. I can totally understand why other people with other playing styles might want to keep it, but for me it serves no purpose other than to help destroy immersion.

It's not sports writers doing the buying and selling though.

An extreme example:

What did Cronaldo go for in the summer? 70'odd million or something? (don't need exact figure it's just an example), ok, if this was FM he'd have appeared in the Real squad with "value" 70 million. Do you think then, that as an AI manager I should be able to approach Real with 70 million quid in my pocket and expect them to accept that bid, not only that but be absolutely gobsmacked, incredulous, and start ranting and raving if they turned it down?

Is Cronaldo now "70 million pound rated" Cronaldo in real life? if so, what was he before the transfer? "what Man U paid for him as a teenager rated" Cronaldo? Why was he suddenly worth so much more as soon as the transfer went through?

For me having "value" in the game is just bizarre, especially so when people interpret it as "asking price" and get all shirty when the owning club says no to that amount. The player is worth what it takes for his current club to allow you to negotiate a contract with him, nothing else, regardless of what the media say or his history.

I still think it could be an "option" in preferences.

I think the value should be representative of what the current market would want to pay for that player.

There is a seperate value as to what the club wants to sell him for. What he actually gets sold for is somewhere in the middle, depending on the negotiating skills of either party.

So I think the current values should stay - as a representation of what the current market would want to pay for him, in the knowledge that most likely he would sell for more.

There are obviously times when I would accept less than market value - ie: when his contract is coming to and end, and this is a representation of the fact his value will only go down as he approaches the end of his contract.

No because you get these sort of "values" in real life when sports writers talk about "10m-rated so and so".

They could be hidden, but require a scout to reveal their current worth. The media can also have more impact when they link you to players and quote a price.

I believe they could make it so you can turn on and off the "Value". I prefer it on tbh

And I guess player agents get a more important role in the game cause they also influence the transfer price. Now they don't have any influence in the game

If the player is significant enough to have an agent (i.e. not a £20 a week part-timer) and he has low loyalty, professionalism etc, perhaps you could have news items whereby the players agent has started rumours the player is unhappy, wants away, or that other clubs are interested, all in an attempt to engineer a move away. We already have these sorts of things, but including agents as the devious, leeching, scummers they are would be a nice touch. :)

The reason the club asked for $44 Million was because they don't want to sell him especially to YOU, so they're offering a price they know you're not going to spend. The value's for example Louis Saha as you stated are a reflection of the market value. We all know that the market is now filled with inflated prices and just like real life the game is going to do the same.

If you want to figure out the price he may cost at the inflated price, you should:

1. Scout him

2. View his report

3. Look on that screen and your agent will most likely give you a price range.

This might stop the threads "AI wants to have 150 Million for Pato" but then there would be threads like "OMFG Pato market value 150 Million? How unrealistic"

I think it's fine the way it is. The market value is only an approximation of the value of a player, if a club wants to buy the player because he would be a valuable addition, it's only natural that the club has to pay how much they feel the player would be worth to them.

the country where they play is determinant. the most valued player in portugal is like €5m, it's ridiculous, nobody would ever sell di maria or bruno alves for 10 million

exactly, value is determined way too much by the country.... The the dutch league holds down value for most of the better players.... While rediculously rubbish players in england are valued way higher then them....

Archived