Jonathan Woodgate just scored a 30 yard rocket on me

The long shots attribute seems to have no affect on the success rate of long shots.

Actually, attributes don't seem to represent themselves in the match engine at all.

Shawn Wright-Phillips scores headers like he's Batistuta.

Players with 10 pace are sprinting past fullbacks with 18 pace as if they were standing still.

The long shots attribute seems to have no affect on the success rate of long shots.

Actually, attributes don't seem to represent themselves in the match engine at all.

Players with 10 pace are sprinting past fullbacks with 18 pace as if they were standing still.

This is very true. After every long shot that is scored on me I look at the player's profile to look at his technique and long shots stats and most of the time his long shots stat is incredibly low. I could understand if this happened once every blue moon but when it happens so much that I have to check the player's stats then you know it's becoming a problem.

I disagree wholeheartedly.

VDV, long shots 20, has scored 12 goals from outside the area for me this season. Gerrard has scored 5, Aqualini has got 3. I have not conceded 20 long shots.

Vargas and Johnson are very rarely outpaced, but Di Maria skins opposition full backs.

Di Maria and Benayoun don't score many headers, but the centre backs get a few when they come forwards, and Gerrard, Kuyt and Torres do score some.

It's quite obvious that attributes do matter.

You do need to remember that 2 for long shots doesn't mean "can't score a long shot", it means "is very unlikely to score a long shot".

The headers from wingers do happen a bit but I notice it more for my side. Happens when Di Maria crosses the ball hard and the striker or AMC doesn't get his head to it then the winger running in from the right usually Bentley for me scores a header.

Long shots from players with poor long shot attributes do happen but they also happen in real life as well. I have never noticed an abundance of these in the game though.

A slow player can beat a fast player in reality.

If they judge the timing of their run well enough or the defender is caught off guard then the small headstart can be enough for the slower player to easily beat the quicker full back.

last season didnt ryan giggs score a goal against west ham with his right foot for the first time in 9 years? unlikely things do happen in football. you could play the same save for the rest of woodgates career and it wouldnt happen again.

look at danny butterfield the other night for crystal palace. 1 goal in 6 years then gets a hat-trick in 6 mins. if thats not an FM moment i dont know what is

Shawn Wright-Phillips jumped over joleon lescott and scored a header 2 years ago. Carling cup semi final. Chelsea vs Everton. Look it up.

It's not that hard to imagine. I think pretty much every professional soccer player is capable of hitting a long shot. Most 1 year old kids can score from 30 yards if they get enough chances. The players with high long shots score them more, but everyone on the game is capable of it.

I'm scared of players with 13 for free kicks as they always seem to score free kicks against me. I think I'd rather face a player with 20 for free kicks.

Whether it's statistically true that 13 for free kicks has been more successful I don't know, but it feels like it.

Another moaning thread? Can happen once in a blue moon, Gary Pallister scored a free kick for Man Utd once!

Remember when Tony Adams suddenly and briefly turned into Johan Cruyff, waltzed through the Everton (iirc) defence and calmly slotted the ball home? I think it was the 2001 season?

If the best player who plays in my Sunday League is awarded 20 for long shots, I'd still mark myself no more than 3 for long shots. My long shooting is absolutely terrible (I'm a right back in the Gary Neville mold) and yet even I've managed to score a 25 yard screamer before. Having a penalty taking attribute of 2 doesn't mean the player can't score a penalty. Similarly, a player can outpace a player faster than him - for sure. For example, if Theo Walcott is up against Gary Neville, Neville might have good positioning sense which will prevent Walcott from skipping past him. Similarly, if Dirk Kuyt is up against the clearly faster Gael Clichy, Kuyt could outpace him with a simple shimmy which can put Clichy off his footing. Those who play football know the points I'm making.

That's not to say that Woodgate should be able to score 30 yard thunderbolts every week with a long shot attribute of 2. I suspect, however, that the goal scored against the OP is a one-off, in which case I don't see the problem.

I cannot even begin to describe how pig-sick I am of superman long shot goals (even when I was playing as Great Yarmouth at level whatever it was) and bionic man goalkeepers (except when facing long shots, strangely).

Now do I see a moderator denying that this is a problem, or is he merely refering to a particular goal?

Please tell me long shots and bionic man keepers will be sorted in patch 3. Please tell me that!

At one point I even vowed not to tollerate any more long-shot goals. Whenever I saw some stupendous, goal of the season 30 to 40 yarder, regardless of how many opposition players were closing down, I holidayed the rest of the festering match and replayed. I had to abandon this because I quite literally couldn't get through a match. Replay. Replay. Replay. Replay. Replay.

For the love of Zeus, please tell me this is a recognised bug and is being addressed or that's me with this game.

Now do I see a moderator denying that this is a problem, or is he merely refering to a particular goal?

My point was simply to the OP he seemed to have a problem with a player with 2 for long shots scoring a long shot against him. I have no comment to make on the frequency of long shot goals - they've been far from ubiquitous in my save, but I've no idea if it's something that needs tweaking or not.

That's a relief, Gillsman.

I've just been rooting about on the bugs forum. It is indeed under review (superman long-shots) for patch 3.

It also seems like there's a chance we may not have to put up with The Amazing Spiderman playing between the sticks for every team on the game as well.

It's not that hard to imagine. I think pretty much every professional soccer player is capable of hitting a long shot. Most 1 year old kids can score from 30 yards if they get enough chances. The players with high long shots score them more, but everyone on the game is capable of it.

Yeh if I can hammer the ball into the back of the net from 30 yards once IRL (which I did) Im SURE a high level profession footballer can do it as well

it's like saying a striker with 1 finishing scored a goal, I think my finishing IRL is about one, and I can score :p

I think I've conceded one goal from outside the box in about 25 matches across the two saves I have going at the moment and I've only scored two or three. They happen sometimes in real life and in the game and naturally, unlikely players sometimes score with them.

Put it right in the top shelf on the volley. Wonder goal.

He has Long Shots attribute of 2 so it makes sense though.

I think everyone is missing the point in this thread.

It's not all about Woodgate's long shots of 2.

How in the hell was he healthy enough to play in the game?

Uhm, if your original question was "how the hell was he healthy enough to play the game?", you certainly didn't provide anything in the original post indicating that was the question.

It does happen.

Here's an example:

Swedish left-back Erik Edman scores a goal for Wigan... From what, 40 yards. So yeah, it does happen, albeit not often. And his long shots attribute is below ten in the game.

What you fail to neglect is that both that:

erik edman scored that for spurs

and he has demonstrated with goals/free kicks and shots that he can actually strike a ball very well.

as said, anyone can score a goal from distance, the rating mean that the odds change drastically from 1 to 20

So wait?

You had one long shot goal from Woodgate against you and all of a sudden the matche engine ignores attributes?

Oh, that's why when you sign better players you do better?! Wait... No, that's not right...

Archived