USSR Coach?

In my FM10 10.1 patched game I saw that a coach of the Ukrainian national team (Anatoliy Demyanenko), has a USSR first nationality. I googled this person and saw that he is a former USSR national team player from Ukraine. Surely that's a bug, right?

I think this has been brought up before. And, I don't see any reason for it to be a bug. The man played for the USSR (which Ukraine used to be a part of... right?) and therefore his first nationality is USSR.

How can someone have a nationality of a country that does not exist?

Well it cant really be a bug then, as to have a USSR nationality it has to have been included in the game.

USSR nationality is included in the game. All the defunct nations are, otherwise it would mess up the World Cup history.

Looks like a simple explanation. He was an international in the days of the old Soviet Union, therefore has x number of caps for USSR. He didn't get those caps for Ukraine

Don't think he's arguing about the caps record, just the fact that he has retained his USSR nationality, which is, in fact, impossible today.

Nobody could possibly have USSR nationality since it doesn't exist. You cannot be a national of a country that is defunct. The reason it is in the game is for international history records and such. It's a bug because that coach still has USSR nationality, when in fact he should only be a Ukranian national.

Maybe he has USSR set so that it would correctly convey that the caps he won were for the USSR. You're right, he can't really have a nationality that doesn't exist, but if it wasn't his first nationality, it would look like his caps where for the Ukraine.

It's a bit of a hack really. Hopefully SI will handle no-longer existent nationality properly (perhaps in player info, say Caps: 72 (for USSR)) in these cases.

Archived