Should i listen to all these pessimists?

Hi everyone, a disgruntle gaffa here!

I've been playing the Collyer brothers footy games ever since i was given a copy of Championship Manager 1 by my bro, to play on my Amiga 500 many moons ago and being in awe of how detailed the 8 or so stats were, and thumping the air in excitement when i signed Stan Collymore from Stafford Rangers for a transfer-budget busting 100k! I played season after season on the same game, never seeing any bug, error, potential fix or idea, i just played the game for what it is.

Now, i was in this frameset right up until Champo 01/02....then i discovered the "Doombringers of the SI forums". Since then all i ever do is read about "how so and so has not signed so and so for a realistic price" or how "so and so isn't accepting this, that or other", or "The game's crap in 2202 season as all the players ar DMC's etc etc etc!!!. I'm even at it myself (please look at my previous threads for proof!).

I wish i'd never started reading these damn things because everytime one of my player's passes the balls slightly skew-wiff, or Badshot Lea manage to sign an emerging Arsenal player on a 3 year contract, i'm on here ferreting around to see if it's a possible "bug", instead of laughing at it and carrying on regardless. In the past, I've even stopped playing altogether waiting until that "final" patch that cures everything thats ever gone wrong is realeased. Obviously that never happens and i seem to reluctantly start a new game, with an heavy heart waiting for one of these game-ruining bugs people go on about to emerge and corrupt my hard-earned "Chesterfield Champions League run" save to a mere .txt file :-(

So before i get boring, i just wanna know if anybody has an happy-ending story for me to hear which may get me back to those "CM1" days? I don't wanna know about crap regens or pants defending AI. I wanna know about someone getting West Thurrock to the World Club Championship final and beating Juventus on peno's and loving every minute of it!

Just one will do...

I eagarley await your flood of positive responses :-)

Spireite1982

Hi everyone, a disgruntle gaffa here!

I've been playing the Collyer brothers footy games ever since i was given a copy of Championship Manager 1 by my bro, to play on my Amiga 500 many moons ago and being in awe of how detailed the 8 or so stats they were, and thumping the air in excitement when i signed Stan Collymore from Stafford Rangers for a transfer-budget busting 100k! I played season after season on the same game, never seeing any bug, error, potential fix or idea, i just played the game for what it is.

Now, i was in this frameset right up until Champo 01/02....then i discovered the "Doombringers of the SI forums". Since then all i ever do is read about "how so and so has not signed so and so for a realistic price" or how "so and so isn't accepting this, that or other", or "The game's crap in 2202 season as all the players ar DMC's etc etc etc!!!. I'm even at it myself (please look at my previous threads for proof!).

I wish i'd never started reading these damn things because everytime one of my player's passes the balls slightly skew-wiff, or Badshot Lea manage to sign an emerging Arsenal player on a 3 year contract, i'm on here ferreting around to see if it's a possible "bug", instead of laughing at it and carrying on regardless. In the past, I've even stopped playing altogether waiting until that "final" patch that cures everything thats ever gone wrong is realised. Obviously that never happens and i seem to reluctantly start a new game, with an heavy heart waiting for one of these game-ruining bugs people go on about to emerge and corrupt my hard-earned "Chesterfield Champions League run" save to a mere .txt file :-(

So before i get boring, i just wanna know if anybody has an happy-ending story for me to hear which may get me back to those "CM1" days? I don't wanna know about crap regens or pants defending AI. I wanna know about someone getting West Thurrock to the World Club Championship final and beating Juventus on peno's and loving every minute of it!

Just one will do...

I eagarley await your floods of positive responses :-)

Spireite1982

I love it. I have to say. Didn't really get into it with FM08, which was the last one i brought. Last one i had that really hooked me was the 99/00 CM.

I am Crystal Palace in this one. Got to the Prem. in 2015. Love it!! got lots of regens that i a hoping are going to become stars. Fingers Crossed, but properly hooked!!

We complain because we LOVE the CM/FM series too!

And if we tend to be too harsh at times, it's because we have hiigh expectations and we know the minds behind the game are indeed able to fix most of the problems.

In school there's the typical "the kid is gifted but he doesn't put much effort into things", or, like my Latin teacher once described me "you're extremely bright, but you're also a bit of a lazy *****" (a view shared by most of my teachers from middle school to college).

But personal notes aside, I think the case of rants about FM falls into the same category of "we expect better because we know you can do better".

And the proof is that more often than not the third (and final) patch finally makes the game very much enjoyable with just minor bugs left, or at least with those bugs which honestly can't get fixed without reworking huge parts of the game.

In the end, no don't get discouraged by some rants... FM10 is fun, frustrating at times, but still fun. Just like ANY game of the franchise.

Of course the more features get added, the higher is the chance for annoyance and criticism. But don't tell me you never wanted to smash your monitor while playing CM1 or CM2... :)

The difference is now we actually got to WATCH hissy fit-inducing events in 3D, instead of just imagining them, and that makes for much "better" tantrums

nothing wrong with the game and its a vast improvement from its early days but what annoys me and most ppl is how a game you enjoy tends to mess up and screw up your enjoyment. Its easy to say carry on regardless (Yes, I get the pun) but when a transfer goes wrong, or a pass goes iffy it makes you think "why did they introduce this in the first place?". I understand the whole evolve or die mentality and the game is fantastic statswise but so many little things mess up the bigger picture.

B and C Teams being a shambles, managers not being promoted when first team manager sacked. Players being moved around without first team manager consultation.

Free kicks either happening all at once or never, mostly flukey defending leading to a silly goal. A goalkeeper passing the ball to the opponent and staying still while he slots it home.

Press conferences that ask the same question over and over again. Send the AssMan and you get disgruntled players or players adding the AssMan as a favoured personnel because of a press conference. (Oooh how Mike Phelan must feel at Man Utd)

These are just some examples. It doesnt mean you cant play, indeed you can and the positive thing is you can enjoy yourself a lot...in the short-term. Long-term games which is what CM in its infancy was all about are now sadly impossible to achieve. Regens will be either too good or totally useless and the AI will sign rubbish for loads of money and let you buy quality for pittance. And should you move club and happen to have legendary status then you'll lose it and become a hated figure.

So yes the game is enjoyable, yes its better than its ever been but it has too many failings to allow you to enjoy a longterm save that previously used to be a given.

*shoves fingers in ears* not listening, not listening jsolloso :-) No, i know it's annoying when you have put hours and hours into a save game only for it to go completely screwy and a fresh start is needed.

I must admit, my stomach turned when i heard about the 3D match engine. It's a complete waste of time and all them man hours could have been put to better use. Also i thoroughly agree with you that SI have added too many un-needed extras. I for one do not use touchline instructions and although press conferences are a good idea, one a week is a nightmare! "No Comment!" x 10,000,000,000 or "I'm trying to look at it in a positive light" x Infinity!! I think one a month would be better and a option not to send anybody to the conference instead of your doper ass man!

Regens seem to be a very sore matter but i've never had trouble with these. With the correct youth training, positional training and mentoring, you can make any regen a good solid player. I think a lot of the problem is down to lazy managers who don't put the time in with the youth team. I once tested this by starting 2 games with the same team. In one of them i neglected my youth team (no intensive training, no loan-outs, no mentoring) and all of them turned out cackola! The other i nurtured them. Within 4 seasons, 3 orginal half-gold star potential stars were 4 gold stars and in my first team.

Perhaps SI should cancel the "think tank" and make good what they have already got? Worth thinking about ain't it Olly & Paul?

FM10 is the most challenging yet rewarding FM yet!! Brilliant. Ignore 3D, its all about the 2D classic and letting my mind fill the blanks. Forget all the nonsense on here and enjoy! The internet can be a poisonous place, the Spurs site I visit the most has become a very nasty place with supposed 'fans' absolutely slating our team. But I guess its very easy to spout nonsense and bile from the safety of a PC.

There's constructive criticism and then there's just being bitter and twisted. Too often the valid constructive criticism on here along with some great ideas for the future get buried by a load of trolling and nonsense. Anyway forget them.

FM10 can give you that magic feeling again :D

The bugs are so glaringly obvious nowadays with the match engine that even those not on the forums are noticing them.

1) Prove it

2) Prove that it wasn't the case previously

Don't listen to the pessimists, but likewise, don't listen to the optimists ;)

Look, download the demo, and form your own opinion. Asking other people what they think about the game is frankly pointless. I mean, people like JLS.

nothing wrong with the game and its a vast improvement from its early days but what annoys me and most ppl is how a game you enjoy tends to mess up and screw up your enjoyment. Its easy to say carry on regardless (Yes, I get the pun) but when a transfer goes wrong, or a pass goes iffy it makes you think "why did they introduce this in the first place?". I understand the whole evolve or die mentality and the game is fantastic statswise but so many little things mess up the bigger picture.

B and C Teams being a shambles, managers not being promoted when first team manager sacked. Players being moved around without first team manager consultation.

Free kicks either happening all at once or never, mostly flukey defending leading to a silly goal. A goalkeeper passing the ball to the opponent and staying still while he slots it home.

Press conferences that ask the same question over and over again. Send the AssMan and you get disgruntled players or players adding the AssMan as a favoured personnel because of a press conference. (Oooh how Mike Phelan must feel at Man Utd)

These are just some examples. It doesnt mean you cant play, indeed you can and the positive thing is you can enjoy yourself a lot...in the short-term. Long-term games which is what CM in its infancy was all about are now sadly impossible to achieve. Regens will be either too good or totally useless and the AI will sign rubbish for loads of money and let you buy quality for pittance. And should you move club and happen to have legendary status then you'll lose it and become a hated figure.

So yes the game is enjoyable, yes its better than its ever been but it has too many failings to allow you to enjoy a longterm save that previously used to be a given.

You are right, but real FM fans won't bother about this and just get on with the game.

The bugs are so glaringly obvious nowadays with the match engine that even those not on the forums are noticing them.

It's a real shame cause the concept of the game is good but the developers are really letting the fan base down.

No, they aren't, if they were you wouldn't have 3 updates a version, remember the timescale these people have from the final patch to the next version is roughly 8 months, not a great deal of time.

Yes we need to point out faults or the game will never change, you would get the same every year with new packaging and SI and Sega profits go cheeky.

What it is is a game that is enjoyable and worth playing, minor faults, dont like some say on here make it "unplayable" that for me would be a game crash!

There is only one fault that's stopping me from playing the game and that is the amount of throughballs behind the defence. Linked to that is then the one on one finishing which is diabolical, premusably because the dev team couldn't fix the through ball thing in time. It's just so broken, I can't play it at all, especially since I play with a narrow deep defence which is useless with the amount of throughballs. until that's fixed, count me out.

Archived