The daftest stadium expansion ever!!

just finished 7th in my first season with wigan, and got our finishing money etc. We had 19m in the bank, and the club decide to spend 16m on a 12k extension, for wigan!! Leaving only £3m in the balance (9m budget but only 3m balance :()so i can't afford to buy players and i'm losing scharner on a free as the board wouldn't let me go above 35k p/w. I made a profit of 3m during the transfer windows on plays as well.

I also qualified for the uefa cup and they want a top half finish this season.

what a crazy decision in my opinion. Would have been better off spending 10m or so on players.

My board spent 10m on 8k seats. The season after they decided to build a new stadium. So by the time the first 8k seats were installed the supporters only managed to sit in them for 6 months then we had to relocate to the withdean while the new one was being built.

It nearly bankrupted us as well. Had to sell all the best players.

You can buy in 48 months instalments and for 35k/week you should be able to sign good players too.

It would be a waste though if you wouldn't get an attendance increase after the expansion.

Does this really work,

I mean, do clubs accept deals for 48 month installments

My board spent 10m on 8k seats. The season after they decided to build a new stadium. So by the time the first 8k seats were installed the supporters only managed to sit in them for 6 months then we had to relocate to the withdean while the new one was being built.

It nearly bankrupted us as well. Had to sell all the best players.

Not surprised it nearly bankrupted you! The bill equates £1250 per seat, are they gold plated?

In all seriousness I would love to know were SI got the numbers for stadium expansion costs as most are not realistic.

I speak from experience as I am in the Construction Industry and have have priced stadium work!

Does this really work,

I mean, do clubs accept deals for 48 month installments

Absolutely. You may have to pay a bit more on 48 months but in return only 25% of that are deducted from your budget and your balance over the season. Especially if you can expect higher revenues after the expansion it seems fine to postpone payments until then as well.

:)

haha my board expanded 1000 seats for over a million pounds, plunging us into the red. I was so annoyed I decided to spend all of my £32mil transfer budget. Next season we got back in the black as those player got us champions league football though :S

If the board spent £1M on 1000 seats then each seat cost (1,000,000/1,000) £1,000. A ticket costs about £40, so as long as you're selling out, it takes (1,000/40) 25 games to pay off the expansion, less than a season's worth including cup games, sounds a good investment if you ask me!

And this is why people resign. I can't sign any staff with wages above 100k a week as Reading although I have a ton of cash in the bank and I can sign players that cost anything and with any wage demands. I was one point short of 4th place in my 2nd season in the EPL. Needless to say if I had better staff I know I would of won that extra point (well two if a draw was made into a win). Stupidest board I've ever seen. I would of resigned if I had got an offer from a better club. Royally ****ed me off. And this was the club who had like 40 players on the wage bill when I came in between senior and reserves.

I think Wigan are probably the last team to be in need of stadium expansion.

quite funny seeing as the other night when notts(my team) played them we were singing your ground's too big for you! even funnier seeing as our ground holds 21k ish and we have averaged 4-5k for the last 7-8 years!!

And this is why people resign. I can't sign any staff with wages above 100k a week as Reading although I have a ton of cash in the bank and I can sign players that cost anything and with any wage demands. I was one point short of 4th place in my 2nd season in the EPL. Needless to say if I had better staff I know I would of won that extra point (well two if a draw was made into a win). Stupidest board I've ever seen. I would of resigned if I had got an offer from a better club. Royally ****ed me off. And this was the club who had like 40 players on the wage bill when I came in between senior and reserves.

Honestly, name me one RL staff member who makes even close to 100k p/w.

Yeah when Chelsea expanded Stamford Bridge by 50 seats they paid quite a few million for it, I'll see if I can find a screenie, it was a few years back though mind!

Are you taking into consideration it may have been 50 executive boxes or VIP seats?

Archived