Playing a weakened starting XI

The game doesn't seem to understand this.

I'll give an example. I'm managing Juventus and we had already won our Champions League group going into the last match, which was against Man City. Now City had already guaranteed themselves a finish of 3rd in the group. Therefore, there was nothing to play for. I decided to send out a weakened team. But there are two things I don't get.

1) Why did City play a full-strength team, basically risking injury to important players in a meaningless match?

2) Why are the fans disappointed? Okay, maybe disappointment is understandable. But why is there nothing to indicate that they realise the meaninglessness of the fixture and that playing a weakened team was the right move? In real life they'd understand.

The computer manager occasionally seems to put out weakened sides in cups but the way they do it makes no sense either. I.e. Man Utd might put out a strong team for fa cup round 3 then a weakened team for round 4. It doesn't appear to matter who their opposition is or when their next or previous game was just randomly put out a weakened team

This is one main oversight in the game imo. the game expects you to always play a strong team and doesnt take into account giving young players an opportunity or resting players who are considered more important. However the AI team always seems to play its strong team irrespective of what's at stake, who they play or any possible injuries. It seems that human managers get more stick from fans than AI managers in respect to who plays. The same applies when signing players, you always get fans claiming to be disappointed over someone who is one for the future or who is there to make the numbers even though you make clear in the squad status their position in the team.

Yeah the big sides normally play a weakended side in the FA/Carling Cup up until round 4 :thup: Even if they are against Prem teams :confused:

Unless you’re Portsmouth, where your first XI is actually a weakened team anyways :p

I am an Arsenal fan, I get disappointed when we get kicked out of League Cup even with an under-21 team.

I think that is a fair judgement for fans in FM not happy when you have lost a game, as a club supporter, don't you want your team to win every game ideally ?

If you read what I said, I stated that disappointment is understandable. It's the lack of understanding as to why you lost.

Secondly, my example is of a completely meaningless fixture in which both teams were 100% certain of their position in the group going into the match. In such circumstances, it's common practice to weaken the team and the fans accept that in real life.

Fans being disappointed is understandable, but I completely agree with AI squad selection. Although I'm still on 09, I see the same issue. I have never seen my opponent play a weaker team. Not in the league, cups, or even friendlies. The AI plays every game at full bore. I don't know how their players don't all get injured when there's fixture congestion.

this is really annoying when you have won the league and are in a european final and want to rest your main players to prevent injury and give young/reserve players gametime but you get beat and the fans get disappointed...i won the premiership with Liverpool in season 1 with 5 games o go and was in the champions league final so rested my starting 11 and lost 2 of the last 5 games but won the champions league and fa cup finals and still got sacked because the fans and board were unhappy at my 2 defeats which were my only 2 defeats all year

this is really annoying when you have won the league and are in a european final and want to rest your main players to prevent injury and give young/reserve players gametime but you get beat and the fans get disappointed...i won the premiership with Liverpool in season 1 with 5 games o go and was in the champions league final so rested my starting 11 and lost 2 of the last 5 games but won the champions league and fa cup finals and still got sacked because the fans and board were unhappy at my 2 defeats which were my only 2 defeats all year

I won the Swiss League with six games left, and my players decided to pretty much take the rest of the season off (including rivalry matches); my fans, strangely, weren't even that disappointed when we started losing all over the place. Of course, we won our second double in two years that year, so there wasn't much to whine about.

Archived