Support Born From FM

Has anyone ever started supporting a club irl simply because you've done brilliantly with them on FM?

Personally, my story here is with Fisher Athletic. I took them over on 07 because they were predicted to finish bottom of the BSS. 3 years later, they're the only lower league team I'll go near, I know all their players, and I've even been to a few of their games irl.

Any other stories like this one?

I actually managed Hoffenheim on fm 07 when they were a couple of promotions away from the Bundesliga but somehow they managed back to back promotions irl and are now a very good Bundesliga side. I don't know the details but i think there must have been either a lucrative takeover or a manager who puts all FM accomplishments to shame. Anywho now i watch some of their games and i like to see them do well.

I actually managed Hoffenheim on fm 07 when they were a couple of promotions away from the Bundesliga but somehow they managed back to back promotions irl and are now a very good Bundesliga side. I don't know the details but i think there must have been either a lucrative takeover or a manager who puts all FM accomplishments to shame. Anywho now i watch some of their games and i like to see them do well.

Hoffenheim have a wealthy suggar-daddy (Dietmar Hopp). They have 6,000 inhabitants and built a stadium for 30,000^^

At the moment, they're somewhere in the mid-table. Although it is widely agreed that they have a young and talented squad, they struggle to get the Euro qualification. Many say that it is because they have such a young team that has no experience which results in buckling under the pressure and many red cards.

I've never supported or found myself more fond of a club because of FM/CM. I've got Stoke and Southampton promoted all the way up to the Prem on Champ Man and FM respectively but can't really say I feel any differently about either club (I don't mind Southampton but I hate Stoke haha). The only other team i've really managed is Sunderland, who I support anyway.

I have liked certain players a bit more because i've had them in my teams.

Have a soft spot from Swansea City. They were one of the first teams I managed when I first played Championship Manager back in the late 90s. I always root them on. I still can't believe they have a shot at getting promoted to the Premiership now. They were 4th tier garbage back in those days.

Hoffenheim have a wealthy suggar-daddy (Dietmar Hopp). They have 6,000 inhabitants and built a stadium for 30,000^^

At the moment, they're somewhere in the mid-table. Although it is widely agreed that they have a young and talented squad, they struggle to get the Euro qualification. Many say that it is because they have such a young team that has no experience which results in buckling under the pressure and many red cards.

Thanks for that, i found it weird when last season i heard that Hoffenheim were leading the bundesliga for a while because i knew i played as them on fm 07 and they were 2 leagues below the top division.

I tend to like seeing QPR do well when watching Football League Show and always find out there score, just because I become fond of them over the past few FM's. :)

Thanks for that, i found it weird when last season i heard that Hoffenheim were leading the bundesliga for a while because i knew i played as them on fm 07 and they were 2 leagues below the top division.

They had a nice run in the first half of the last season and led the table for a long time but then they had a very poor second half. => young and talented team but unexperienced.

I've gained a soft spot for a few teams because of FM. Amongst them is Barnet, Hammerfest, Luch Vladivostok, Racing Club de Montevideo and TP-47.

I don't follow these teams closely, but I look occasionly to see how they're getting on.

I've been playing CM/FM for about 13 years now and in that time I've developed a liking for a number of clubs because of the game.

Panathinaikos, Barnsley, Morecambe, Dinamo Moscow, and Roma would be the best examples.

I've found myself really liking players or disliking players depending on how they do in football manager. If a player does awful for me continuosly i hate him but if he does well i think he's amazing. I have never seen Ochoa play but he's amazing for me in FM so I love him lol:D

I tend to watch out for Blyth Spartans results, purely due to a 2007 where i was manager for 15 seasons, got them to Championship thern left for Besiktas. Never been to a game yet, but i am seriously considering it.

get yourself along, fantastic fish and chip shop close to the ground!!

I follow Xerez CD's results, although there's obviously nothing to shout about there!

Always started as Gateshead last year then coincidentally met my fiancee who lives right near the International Stadium so have managed to get to a few games.

Football Manager: Matchmaker Edition

Ever since I started making my Lincs and Humber database about 3 years ago I have followed the teams I put in it a little more closely, like watching their FA cup games. I have even watched games on TV or followed games with players who play for the national side of the database (ie danny butterfield scoring a hattrick!!)

I'm a Liverpool fan, but over the summer I found myself loving a save at Fiorentina so I decided to half-support them in the Champions League elimination rounds to see where it went. Because of that save, I didn't completely overlook them when Liverpool drew them in the Champions League...and wasn't surprised when they beat us.

I did pay attention to Viking FK of Norway for a couple of years based on my CM3 save with them. When I bought the game, I randomly decided that I want to manage in Norway. Looking at the list of clubs, all the names seemed kind of weird, and then there was Viking. What better name for a Norwegian club than that. :D

They were entertaining to watch irl as well, actually. They used to be more technical than your average Scandinavian side back in the day, and had two brilliant players in Nevland and Tihinen (guy that scored the winning goal against AC Milan this CL), although they never quite fulfilled their potential. Knocking Chelsea out of the UEFA Cup was fun too.

I stopped following them when all their original CM3 players left though.

I started following Wigan due to the game back when they were in the 2nd division. Nathan Ellington was god back then and Baines was still a young up and comer. I started playing them as they played out of JJB stadium with the Rugby League team so it was a good stadium to get started in.

Also way back when on Premier Manager I started my first game as Altrincham, I haven't looked back.

Swansea City for me. I had my most fun CM/FM games with them in CM3. I think I remember most of the players. Let's see: Freestone, Bound, Jones, Howard, Smith, Coates, Cusack, Lacey, Casey, O'Leary, Roberts, Price, Appleby, Jenkins, Thomas, Boyd, Watkin, Bird, Alsop... Ah, good times ;)

And? I've seen people use this icon :rolleyes: before in a vain attempt to assume the intellectual high-ground, but that hasn't stopped you.
And your point is? I dont see 'moderator' next to your user-name :confused:

Easy, guys. He was just making a comment. No need to bite his head off.

It was a needless comment though Vic Taylor. Really pointless. I think people get irritated by that kind of post, especially with a rolleyes as well. :rolleyes::D

Yes we have had a thread like this before but the old ones are always the best ones and its nice to revisit a subject like this occasionally. :thup:

Anyway, to answer the opening post, it hasn't really happened that way for me. However, the game has reinforced my feelings of partisanship and emotional attachment to the Saints. Since playing FM over the last six years or so, I have become a more fervent supporter of my club (and of the non-League scene in general), as well as volunteering for the Saints FM research position and getting involved in writing match reports for City games and contributing to their website.

One thing I love about FM is taking over new clubs, often in different countries, and then reading up about their history and so on. In that respect, FM has frequently made me look out for certain sides in different leagues.

Archived