Unfair Sacking

I was sacked as Arsenal manager in my 3rd season. In my first season we did badly, finishing 8th in the league but I survived presumably because I won the league cup. My second season was great, Euro cup final and second in the league by two points. My third season started well. By about the 13th game I was 7th in th league with two games in hand which had I won them could have taken me to third in the league. I'd lost to Tottenham (the league leaders) 2-1 then Aston Villa (2nd in the league at the time) 3-1 but I just bounced back with a win at Bolton and a 5-0 win over some obscure Champions league side in my group game. So imagine my supprise when I was told that a rumer from the Skysports website said that my next game aginst Fulham was a must win game if I wanted to keep my job. Coming off a couple of good wins I hadnt even though my job might be in jeapordy. Sure enough I lost 3-1 to Fulham and lost my job. Think in real life the board would have understood that we were genrally playing well and that we had games in hand? I thought it was harsh.

Unfortunately you're not Arsene Wenger so you don't have his leway. But if Wenger ended up in Euro cup by finishing 8th I'm sure heads would start to roll. You also lost to bitter rivals in Spurs. I'd not be surprised to be sacked.

Did they give you the 'vote of confidence' or were you just booted?

just booted. It was very sudden. Can understand the tottenham one abit cus the fans were furious but they were leading the league at the time. Was amazed I didnt get sacked after the first season. I expected to be but I wasnt and I got into it. Was really enjoying my saved game but ive started again now cus I want to be Arsenal :)

Like others have said, it's not completely surprising. Arsenal are expected to finish in the top 4 every season. You'd been with the club at 3 seasons and not produced much success. Even winning the Europa League, while an achievement, Arsenal should not even be playing in that competition.

I'll tell you when I managed Man City the board expected us to win everything every season. One season I won the league, lost in the CL final to Barcelona, and lost to Chelsea in FA Cup quarter final. Well the board almost sacked me until I won the treble the following season, and then the sextuple the following. However the board was never 'pleased' and always only satisfied with my performance. Eventually I resigned.

Yeah, I had that with fm2009. The board were only ever happy immediately after I'd won big tournaments. For example the day after I'd won the Champions league they were "Very Happy" but apart from that it was always just "satisfied" despite what i'd achieved. However they seemed very upset when i left to join New York. I think its just that if you achieve alot they start to just expect that and even if you carry on doing so there just satisfied rather then happy.

Thats true look at Mark Hughes he was doing fine and then...

If Alex Ferguson had the results he had at Manu in his first couple of seasons there he would be sacked in the same situation 2day. Managers just arnt given enough time and understanding in the modern game.

Thats true look at Mark Hughes he was doing fine and then...

If Alex Ferguson had the results he had at Manu in his first couple of seasons there he would be sacked in the same situation 2day. Managers just arnt given enough time and understanding in the modern game.

I agree if Ferguson started his career in 2010, he would of been fired after either the 2nd or 3rd season. Man Utd went from perennial European challenege to a mid-table mediocrity for several years when he took over.

maybe ferguson didnt have the budget to be up there in the league and to get the players he wanted? dunno just speculating.

cant comment on how your budget looks like henry but im managing Real Madrid and in my third season ive been given a budget of 175 mil to spend. ive only used 75mil but if your budget is anywhere near that for arsenal (which i dont know if it is) then they have every right to expect the team to be up there every season.

in any event there is an option to request the board for more time to build the team - its a useful tool if you find yourself struggling and anticipate a bleak future before the going gets tough.

Archived