Two unrelated questions

Firstly - I'm managing in Belgium as a British manager. I've been there for over 500 days so far, but I still don't speak even basic Dutch or French. Usually I'm fluent in a new language after 150-200 days - is there anything wrong?

Secondly - I was looking through the Global Achievements stats on my Steam account and noticed that currently 2.5% of players have won the World Cup but only 1.9% of players have won an international championship, so does the World Cup not count as an international championship?

I'd imagine that the World Cup would have to fall into the category of an international tournament if anything does, surely? It's an interesting theory about the percentages, but I'd think that it's worked out as a proportion of all players, not as a proportion of the people who enter a tournament.

I've now gone 650 days and managed to win the Belgian Third Division A while still only able to TALK ENGLISH... LOUDLY... AND SLOWLY and wave my hands about at my players and staff. Anyone with a suggestion as to why I'm not learning Dutch?

I'd imagine that the World Cup would have to fall into the category of an international tournament if anything does, surely? It's an interesting theory about the percentages, but I'd think that it's worked out as a proportion of all players, not as a proportion of the people who enter a tournament.

I've now gone 650 days and managed to win the Belgian Third Division A while still only able to TALK ENGLISH... LOUDLY... AND SLOWLY and wave my hands about at my players and staff. Anyone with a suggestion as to why I'm not learning Dutch?

A lot of the Belgian players also have English as their 3rd (4th?) language; maybe the game is thinking "he doesn't need to speak Dutch/French/German, beacause most of the players understand the Manager"

Check the player profiles and see how many speak English.

'Only' 10 of my first team squad of 27 have basic or fluent English. Also I've managed in the likes of Sweden and Norway before (in FM09 and previously) and picked up the local languages just fine despite their cosmopolitan anglophonic cultures.

Perhaps Belgium is so mixed up with languages and regions that some programmer forgot to make managers learn any of them?

'Only' 10 of my first team squad of 27 have basic or fluent English. Also I've managed in the likes of Sweden and Norway before (in FM09 and previously) and picked up the local languages just fine despite their cosmopolitan anglophonic cultures.

Perhaps Belgium is so mixed up with languages and regions that some programmer forgot to make managers learn any of them?

Possible.

i know for a fact that a lot of Belgian players would be surprised/angry if a British manager would learn French (iso Dutch) while managing Anderlecht in FM.

THey feel Anderlecht is a dutchspeaking team.

But then again; a lot of players would be surprised/angry if a British manager would learn Dutch (iso French) while managing Anderlecht in FM.

I for example hate it when some of my Belgian players only speak French. When I know irl they were born/raised in Flanders...

It's an impossible country irl.

And impossible to code to everyone's liking in a computer game as well it seems. :D

Archived