Controversial moments - improve it!

Now this isn't one of those bitter 'I hate the game' threads, I love FM 2010. The roles and responsibilities etc that add a layer of sanity over the totally unrealistic sliders (I can see why they exist, but they shouldn't be slideable) have been a dramatic improvement and made it feel right again. Instead of the idiotic scientific sliders approach you had to take you can now apply a common sense overview of tactics, get them to suit your squad etc and be successful. Superb.

But one thing that annoys me no end is the handling of controversial moments in the game. The 3d match engine whilst far better than the old dancing circles just isn't good enough for this feature to exist. Currently you see 'incidents' happen with terrible animation and are asked to comment on them. In my previous game my striker was clean through on goal and their fullback came across and literally chopped him in half, legs around his waist. Instant red card surely? I had a moan about it after the game and was fined by the FA and my board happiness went down a notch for bringing the club into dishonour. The replays apparantly showed the referee was correct?

The whole feature just strikes me as a bolt on. It happens in real life constantly so it has to be there, so just throw it in with zero gameplay mechanics to back it up to put a tick in a box. Alright sometimes the commentary afterwards agrees with you, but still it's just totally random and absolutely pathetic compared to the quality of the rest of the game.

Which brings me to the subject of controversy overall. That needs to be ramped up. In the lower leagues its not too much of a problem (Although personal problems should be more common) but in the Premier League the players lives are scrutinised to the nth degree. There is none of that on FM. There needs to be more off the field incidents (Get round the legal issues by not having it enabled out of the box and for it to require enabling, which I'm sure happened years back did it not?). You can them get involved in press discussions about it and choose to side with one player or the other in certain circumstances or choose how to handle it. Fine the player, sack them, support them publicly etc. Another thing is press speculation needs to be more long term and transfer negotiations need to be more protracted and complicated. Deadline days also need to be improved, giving you the options to watch it ala Sky Sports where you track movements and teams who just get a player in would be more likely to loan one out etc. There must be loan enquiries and availability faxes and phones calls flying about etc.

Their fullback didn't "literally chop him in half", pretty sure that isn't included in the 3D animations. This is FM, not Saw.

As regards the sliders, I can't think of a better system to set up the large variety of tactics that FM enables. The roles and responsibilities are more accessible, but in the end they just vary the positions of the sliders.

And I don't think the controversy thing would add much (if anything) more to the game. All it would do is annoy you more when your star centre back and left back have a huge falling out, rupturing your painstakingly put together squad. Deadline days are fine, the game pauses much more frequently to enable you to push through those last minute deals, although one slight change I would like to see is work permits given on deadline day, as all to often you can miss out on that non-EU player because of work permit regulations. Apart from that, not many problems.

Their fullback didn't "literally chop him in half", pretty sure that isn't included in the 3D animations. This is FM, not Saw.

As regards the sliders, I can't think of a better system to set up the large variety of tactics that FM enables. The roles and responsibilities are more accessible, but in the end they just vary the positions of the sliders.

And I don't think the controversy thing would add much (if anything) more to the game. All it would do is annoy you more when your star centre back and left back have a huge falling out, rupturing your painstakingly put together squad. Deadline days are fine, the game pauses much more frequently to enable you to push through those last minute deals, although one slight change I would like to see is work permits given on deadline day, as all to often you can miss out on that non-EU player because of work permit regulations. Apart from that, not many problems.

Alright the body didn't separate into two. But the contact was above the knee and stopped the player in his tracks, and injured him. Clear penalty but apparantly it wasn't according to the commentary. We shouldn't be asked to comment if there is no way to form an opinion.

Re sliders, thats my point the roles etc cover up the technical nonsense (Which has to be there, but which shouldn't be visible IMO).

The controversy would make the game more varied and interesting. Make serious issues rare enough to make them interesting, FM can at times be a tad monotonous and apart from pre and post match interviews there isn't anything in the way of press chatter. In real life such matters distract clubs for weeks if not months as the press shovel up the dirt.

And re deadline day there isn't enough activity for my liking. Although this year didn't see much money spent, it saw loan signings all over the place. On FM you don't get agents ringing up to inform you of a players availability to go out on loan etc, which will happen in real life. There was an agent on the radio the other week saying he charged four mobile phone batteries to cope with the day. In real life West Ham made noises about needing a striker and end up with a couple of loanees. Those won't have been planned weeks in advance, they will just have been clubs and agents alerting them to their available strikers or West Ham themselves machine gunning enquiries about.

Got to agree with pretty much everything the OP said.

Sadly i dont think the yearly release of the games give the developers enough time to implement the changes that should be happening in the game. If it was every two years for example, they could speand much longer perfecting and adding to the new features of the game, rather than just chucking them in and hoping they work (ie stadiums, the cardboard crowd, repetetive press, etc). Wont happen though.

i was very surprised by two weired things I saw on matches.

1) my goalkeeper was sent out for grabing the ball outside the box... And I saw this twice.

2) an offside after a corner kick (???). Really impossible!

these two were really curious.

Regarding the rest, I agree with pretty much the same too. Yes, sometimes it can get a bit monotonous and it can be solved with incidents to deal with. Press conferences are, imo, the less interesting addition to the game. I always send my assitant.

Archived