Newgen question?

I was just wondering how everybody sets up their leagues to get the most diverse selection of regens. I have used a giant player retain file that I downloaded from the editor's hideaway but even using this it seems that in the first season only teams from Germany and Spain seem to get regens and even then there are only a few of them.

Is this similar to other people's games? Or to get the best chance of regens would I need to load the appropriate leagues etc so that the youth squads are visible?

In my experience the leagues that you load will get the best newgens. This being said, I believe that it still is based a lot on youth setup. On one of my saves, I had loaded Brazil, Portugal and Belgium; there was tonnes of talent coming out of Brazil, a good amount from Belgium but not much from Portugal. That being said, it was only 7 seasons so I shouldn't read too much into that.

I just used the custom database option at game start up and loaded all current internationals from all continents. I'm only running the top two English divisions and la liga so the game is really quick as only 45,000 players were loaded.

The regens have been really good and varied. My current team has 2 Italians, a paraguyan, a Russian, a Mexican and a Spaniard (all regens). Also have an Ivorian, South African, Frenchman and a couple of Brazilians and Argentinians developing out on loan. The best striker in the game is a Bulgarian.

As you can see the regens in my game have been varied and of a high standard with appropriate attributes depending on position without compromising game speed.

Yeah i will do that. At the moment I would be playing with England, Spain, Italy, Germany and France loaded with a retain player file which loads every player from top clubs in pretty much every country. Have about 65,000 players loaded. Would it be worth me adding a few playable leagues such as Brazil, Argentina, Holland etc to make sure the players come through.

Playable leagues will always have more newgens in the game.

Afaik, the newgen distribution is connected to the nationality spread of the loaded players. Thus active nations are obviously advantaged. For more balance, you can either retain national players or players with acertain reputation from various nations or regions or use a retain players file for the bigger clubs from most other nations. The latter is what I do. This way, most European nations have enough players to fill a full U21 squad as well and also have more players and thus get more newgens too.

Remember though, as the file I'm using just adds 100-200 players per nation while active nations have around 5,000 or more players in them, the effect is not as big as you might hope for.

hth :)

Well as I said I am using Gillsminnow's retain player file so there will be a lot of players loaded, about 60 odd thousand if I recall. I might just load some playable leagues in the countries that usually have better regens e.g. brazil, argentina etc. Although I am doing some testing with the retain player file and there a a few coming few and its only 2011.

But how much does it really improves newgens if you have more active leagues?

I am only interested about managing in England and do not care about other leagues. Game speed is much more important. I have retained every top clubs true Europe and are running a lot of leagues in the background. I have around 60 000 retained players.

Now, as I have all the top clubs from Spain, France, Holland, etc will it really make THAT much of a difference if I have these leagues as playable instead of running in the background?

Archived