Any small team won big things without(!) a tycoon takeover

?

I just read about Cardiff and MK Dons winning the Champions League in someone's game, but it made me wonder...

Now that pretty much any club from a country in which tycoon takeovers exist might have gotten one, I never know whether something like the above was true mystery or 'just' the result of that club being the new Man City...

So have you seen something like the above happen in FM without a tycoon or a human user being in place?

Not in my game. Nothing interesting has happened in my game.

Its 2025 and the highest any none prem team has finished is 7th by newcastle. Most of the other promoted teams either get relagated first season or their second.

Nobody outside of the championship has made it to the prem except Notts Co and leeds.

Newcastle won the Prem in mine, around 2015 ish, won Champions League a season later.

This was with a Serbian Tycoon, he left again, and Newcastle have slumped to the lower ends of the leagues again, ironically withn Shearer in charge!

In 2024 on a medium database with England, Spain and Italy active:

Hull have won the premiership (other than that though its pretty much the usual suspects although Chelsea were relegated once).

2 Championship teams have won the league cup.

Cardiff and Bury (my bogey side!) are both top 6 regulars.

Genoa are regular title challengers in Serie A.

Notts County are in the premiership.

And randomly, there are dozens of incredible prospects in Ireland meaning Ireland are now a comfortable bet for the QF's of major tournaments and Bohemians regularly pop up in the champions league groups.

Genoa are apparently big in everyone's game. I wonder why I haven't heard of their tycoon or any big signings irl :-/

Pompey, even Villa, being EPL champions is weird enough for me to be counted as what I'm looking for. :) Also Hull :eek:

But it seems that with NO tycoon there is little change happening at the very top...

Crewe won the league cup in my game in 2025, when they were 24th in League One.

That aside ive seen Doncaster, Leeds and Millwall in the premiership.

Only real shock has been Sunderland challenged me for the League in one season, then faded.

genoa have loads of young players at the start i think so they get good quite quickly. they have won the title 4 times in 8 seasons on my game and never finished lower than 3rd. inter and ac milan are both mid table sides.

aston villa have won the premier league last 2 seasons, burnley are a top 7 side and have won a few cups. not really seen a big riser apart from weymouth who i managed upto the championship. notts co are in the championship and rushden are in league 1. bolton are down in league 1 as well

I have level 10 loaded, and with a tycoon Highgate have made it to the Prem. I think they started off at level 9.

See this is a little unrealistic. If a tycoon was interested in investing in a football club, why would they choose a non-professional club?

Wouldn't they want the satisfaction of instant glory (or at least a return in 2-3 years) and invest in the many available mid-table teams around the world?

Archived