Discipline Issues

I'm currently the manager of west ham utd and I'm having a great run, last season i finished 4Th. iv been manging them for about 3 seasons now but I'm always finishing top of the worst discipline every season.

because of this, I'm having some players being unhappy with the lack of discipline. iv no idea how to change this, i have the players tackling at default and i tell the players just to in hard/normal on some players.

anybody help me on how to cut out the red and yellow cards?

When players get sent off you have to give them a warning (or a fine) or other players get upset you arn't discipling the players properly when they do wrong.

I find the tackling options alone to have little effect on the quantity of fouls or cards, even with cautious tackling my teams usually rack up lots of yellows and fouls. I think pressing more will result in more fouls and cards even with cautious tackling. And the tackling stat probably has an influence here too.

When players get sent off you have to give them a warning (or a fine) or other players get upset you arn't discipling the players properly when they do wrong.

thats another whole new ball game. iv fined players when the do get sent off and some of them take it on the chin and get with it. but there have been a few players who go in a huff and think their fine was too harsh and that brings the team morale down again

thats another whole new ball game. iv fined players when the do get sent off and some of them take it on the chin and get with it. but there have been a few players who go in a huff and think their fine was too harsh and that brings the team morale down again

not a definate rule, but i tend to issue a warning when sent off by two yellow's and a fine when sent off by a straight red - so far they have always accepted their warnings/fine this way.

if a specific player gets continuously sent off i increase the fine.

as far as the player getting upset - ignore him and put him on the bench until he reconsiders. if you dont show them who is in charge they'll eat you alive eventually.

maybe its an important first team player but if he is consistently getting sent off you should already be thinking of letting him go anyway - unless he changes his ways.

Sometimes its rather silly. I have disciplined players with a warning for a sending off and the other players have got upset for lack of discipline even though the initial sending off was not actually a sending off but as there is no way to complain about it as every complaint is ignored and you end up being reprimanded well...

If they get sent off red or 2 yellow they get a warning. 2 sendings off in recent memory they get a fine. Violent dismissal gets a fine if I think the ref was right. Missing from training a warning, 2nd time missing a fine. 3rd time sold or released. Thays what I do.

Any player who complains about it being harsh will get sold because they never seem to forgive and forget.

OK - quick question

do you guys only warn players for red cards, or multiple yellows as well?

If they get sent off red or 2 yellow they get a warning. 2 sendings off in recent memory they get a fine. Violent dismissal gets a fine if I think the ref was right. Missing from training a warning, 2nd time missing a fine. 3rd time sold or released. Thays what I do.

Any player who complains about it being harsh will get sold because they never seem to forgive and forget.

i have had numerous players appologising for an initial complaint on a disciplinary action.

you just have to show them they are not bigger than the club and bench them until they reconsider.

then it goes something like this:

"player x has publicly applogised for accusing the club of unfair treatment and has now put the issue behind him.... the player recognised that being upset will get him no-where near the first team, yada yada."

you should not be worried, or else you failed already. you are the boss, not fabregas - so discipline when a discipline action is in order.

i can assure you fabregas won't relish the prospect of sitting on the bench for a few weeks, so the last thing he wants is trouble going his way.

the only time i had a player have it his way was casillas in RM but that was a gross misscalculation from my part where i took over i made him captain when i got rid of raul (loaned him out - wasnt on my plans). the team was split upon that decision so a few weeks down the road i appointed kaka as the captain and of course casillas took it badly, even if the squad welcomed the decision for the most part.

he eventually quit being unhappy but in two years he "could not get motivated because of personal issues with me". i ingored the issue and played him anyway for two reasons:

1. he was still performing at top level.

2. i couldnt get rid of him easily because he is a "legendary" keeper at RM and selling him would have ruffled too many feathers.

HOWEVER

starting my third season, he still has grudges BUT his performances are not what they used to be. so i benched him and started playing a young promising keeper i bought mid second season who spent 4 months getting acquaninted to the club and learning the language.

he has performed at the same level as casilla was performing and i just been given the funds to buy a top level keeper who will join me on the next transfer opening.

what will happen to casillas? well since i cant sell him without major repercussion ill send him to my feeder club in ukraine where he will play his final years with a ukrainean manager he will respect.

Sergio Ramos was booked 22 times, and had 5 red cards for me last season.

My biggest gripe is that I cannot effectively punish him for 2 yellows. All 5 of his red cards were 2 bookable offences. The only punishment option I am given for 2 yellow is "dismissal in prior match". First 2 were warnings. Other 3 i fined him 2 weeks (big games, nearly cost us the games). He ALWAYS got unhappy. Our next opponent was usually a smaller club like Hull, so Ramos i'm sure thought "Its not an important/hard match, stop crying boss!"

part of the other problem I am having is as an American Football Coach, the idea of a player being disciplined by the coach for essentially being overaggressive just doesn't happen here.

a league may discipline a player, but coaches here tend to encourage rough play and support their players against the league in these types of instances.

that was my mindset and I was actually going down that path and appealing a suspension that was given to De Rossi

Of course it doesn't help that I really have no idea what the difference between a foul, a yellow card and a red card is other then the escalating scale.

Archived