Free Transfer Jackpot

Recently I have hit the jackpot when signing free agents. At the end of the season I decided to stock up on some better players (i was promoted from CC1 to CCC) so I shopped around for some well known players who were out of contract. I couldnt find any superstar players so I picked up 3 players (small sign on fee and 1 year contract) who I thought would be handy at some stage all on free transfers. Now my club St Albans is not a wealthy club ($6million value) and most of my players fall well under the $1 million mark but too my surprise the 3 new players had values of $2.4m, $3.1m and $1.8. thats a profit of $7.3m. I decided that since these players were not that important to me that I would try and offload them straight away while they still had value. To my surprise all 3 sold within 4 weeks of me buying them for a little under 7 million. I then used this money to persuade Tim Cahill ($2.0 million) to join my team along with Lucas Neil ($1.2 Million) and Victor Anichebe for $2.5 million. Cahill and Neil are 33 and 34 but to get Anichebe at 25, I was stoked.

This is quite rare but it happens if you are a fine scout, and I mean YOU , not the scouts of the game that are pretty much useless IMO.

And BTW this is pretty much the only way to increase the power of an average team that will never be able to grow with the extremely low money available, so you are forced to discover by yourself new free young talents, that's the only way to master FM a bit.

But how hard is it signing WELL-KNOWN PLAYERS which aren't offered a contract, nor by their current club, nor by other clubs in the same league?

Again, we're not speaking of obscure newgens from obscure countries. We're speaking of regular first teamers, sometimes even with int'l caps.

This winter I signed a 20yo Slovenian newgen from Molde, who was:

2011: 3rd placed in Norwegian Defender of the Year

2012: Norwegian DotY

2013: Runner-up Norwegian DotY

Plus Molde Fans' Player of the Year, Overall Best Eleven and Slovenia Best Eleven.

His contract expired and I signed him (on £ 130k a year). So, assuming it's NOT a matter of money, because that wage is affordable by most clubs, why nobody offered this guy a contract before it expired?

Or say, how could Thomasz Sokolowski (born 1985), with 250 caps in Tippeligaen, not top the list of every Norwegian club by the time his contract is expiring?

It's ridiculous... In real life that doesn't happen often, and for sure not with such an high frequency and quality

Could you sell players who you just signed for free immediately again or did you have to wait?

I just once tried selling players at the very start of the game with West Brom and nobody made any bids as they just arrived there and wouldn't want to leave again right away. So does this change once you are later in the game?

Could you sell players who you just signed for free immediately again or did you have to wait?

I just once tried selling players at the very start of the game with West Brom and nobody made any bids as they just arrived there and wouldn't want to leave again right away. So does this change once you are later in the game?

You have to wait. If I ever get a free player that I know I just bought for profit, I loan him out or a season then sell him when he gets back.

I would like to thank the OP for this thread as it had'nt really occured to me to do a search for contracts expiring in 6 months. Now I have just sgned a top level newgen and a really good striker for absolutley Nowt, happy days.

I got Rene Adler, Akinfeev and Gourcuff and Ben Arfa on frees and they were all way under 30, max was Akinfeev at 28. I was playing as Portsmouth and by the time their contracts expired I had dominated the Euro Cup and FA and League Cups so I have some good rep and constantly finished mid table (all with free transfers and cheap signings as Pompey has no money). Eventually I had to sign more expensive signings but I still keep bringing in some good free ones like the aforementioned ones. Donovan was signed on a free off the bat and OMG as an AMC he scored 1 goal a game. Sold him a couple seasons later as he was like 29 or so and cashed in on him.

Archived